PDA

View Full Version : Microwaving Styrofoam

11-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm a college student and the only cooking implements I have are a microwave and my bathroom sink. About 50% of my diet consists of instant soup, the kind that comes in a little styrofoam cup.

The directions on the pack say to add boiling water and let it sit for a minute. In order to do this properly, I'd have to pour water in a cup (clean cups are hard to find here), put it in the microwave, get it out while it's still hot (which interrupts poker playing/talking/whatever), pour it in the thing, and then wait a minute.

This process sucks, so I've just been putting water directly in the thing, microwaving for 2 minutes, and letting it sit til whenever I decide to actually eat it. This system is just about perfect for me.

But, my friends have been telling me that microwaving styrofoam is a bad idea, so I decided to switch to the sucky method. As a result, I haven't eaten much in the last few days.

What's the consensus on microwaving styrofoam? If its bad, anyone have a simpler process?

tonypaladino
11-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I've heards it's bad and releases carcinogens into the food. I do it anyway though.

11-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Not sure i ever met anyone in college who didn't just stick the whole cup in the microwave. With the amount of people doing this seems like we would have seen some sort of evidence/warning about it being bad other than just urban legend.

handsome
11-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Use a hot pot or coffee maker. Stop eating instant soup/noodles.

11-13-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop eating instant soup/noodles.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have, and now I'm hungry.

HopeydaFish
11-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Buy a kettle. You can get one really cheap at garage sale.

Ulysses
11-13-2005, 09:26 PM
So, to summarize your post, microwaving water and pouring it into a cup is something that you consider to be a time-consuming and complex process.

Ray Zee
11-13-2005, 09:44 PM
put the instant soup in a coffee cup instead of the chemical one. then add your water to that.
if you dont care about your health in the future then disreagard this.

11-13-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, to summarize your post, you're in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

TheNoodleMan
11-13-2005, 11:45 PM
HIJACK:
Ever put a CD in the microwave? Its shoots blue sparks. I just thought there might be a bored/high college student out there that ought to know.
Carry on.

dblgutshot
11-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Buy a kettle. You can put it next to your desk while your on the computer and make everything without getting up from your seat.