PDA

View Full Version : Sebastian Bach - Trip Report

TheWorstPlayer
11-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Last night, I went to Mulcahy's in Wantagh, Long Island to see Sebastian Bach play Skid Row's greatest hits. Absolutely incredible. I could talk a lot about the interesting crowd that was there, but I'm guessing most people here can imagine who shows up at a rock concert on Long Island. Anyways, he started the night with "Slave to the Grind". Rocked the place. It was completely packed. It was just general admission, with everyone standing, but I made sure to get there two hours early so my $15 ticket got me about 8 feet away from Sebastian.

The good old highlights included "Here I Am", "18 and Life", "I'll Remember You", and an unbelievably good performance of "Youth Gone Wild". On the back of his black leather vest was a weird silver splat which made it look like he was sponsored by Cingular, but since the vest was heavily studded and his tight black leather pants had silver lightning bolts on either side of the crotch, the outfit did not disappoint on the whole. Incredibly high energy level for the entire show, you could just tell he was having a great time and so was the entire audience. If you ever get a chance to see him perform, I highly recommend doing so.

Bigdaddydvo
11-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Skid Row is definitely one of my Top 5 Hair Bands...I'm definitely jealous you got to see SB play the classics.

Only Skid Row can pull off a lyrical masterpiece like "I remember you." He uses the same word to rhyme with itself, "kiss with kiss." I believe the lyric goes:

"I said I’d give my life for just one kiss
I’d live for your smile and die for your kiss

Remember yesterday - walking hand in hand..."

It's like they said "Hey, what rhymes with kiss? I know, kiss!" All kidding aside, they are awesome.

God I miss Arena Rock.

TheWorstPlayer
11-13-2005, 05:27 PM
Hmm...I was always torn as to whether he had rhymed "kiss" with "kiss" there or the last line actually said "and die for your tears" where he weirdly says "tears" to sound a lot like kiss. I guess google could easily answer this problem, but I'm very lazy. In any case, yes the concert was awesome. I wonder if he's coming back. For only $15, this was clearly the best value for money that I have gotten in a long long time.

Bigdaddydvo
11-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Here you go:

Woke up to the sound of pouring rain
The wind would whisper and I’d think of you
And all the tears you cried, that called my name
And when you needed me I came through

I paint a picture of the days gone by
When love went blind and you would make me see
I’d stare a lifetime into your eyes
So that I knew you were there for me
Time after time you were there for me

Remember yesterday - walking hand in hand
Love letters in the sand - I remember you
Through the sleepless nights and every endless day
I’d wanna hear you say - I remember you

We spend the summer with the top rolled down
Wished ever after would be like this
You said I love you babe, without a sound
I said I’d give my life for just one kiss

We’ve had our share of hard times
But that’s the price we paid
And through it all we kept the promise that we made
I swear you’ll never be lonely

Woke up to the sound of pouring rain
Washed away a dream of you
But nothing else could ever take you away
’cause you’ll always be my dream come true
Oh my darling, I love you

Los Feliz Slim
11-13-2005, 06:04 PM
I just found those lyrics to be poignant. I need some sleep.

TheWorstPlayer
11-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Those lyrics ARE poignant. Skid Row is one of the greatest rock bands of our generation and that is their best song. Dvo, thanks for the lyrics. Even if the kiss/kiss rhyme sucks the big one.

Borodog
11-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Great [censored] song. I used to get told I looked like Sebastian Bach all the time in like 90 and 91. Good times.

eastbay
11-14-2005, 12:14 AM
I like the song, too, but I remember you is the best he can muster for a girl whose eyes he stared into for a lifetime?

I would frickin' hope so!

eastbay

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 01:55 AM
Dude, when you're that hopped up on drugs and alcohol, remembering some chick is no small feat! Besides, it's much better than the one thing they've got being a film that as he recalls they both kinda liked.

NotMitch
11-14-2005, 02:01 AM
He is great on Gilmore Girls.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He is great on Gilmore Girls.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored]. When my hard core, bad ass, friend who is probably the biggest Skid Row/Sebastian Bach fan in the entire world mentioned to my clean cut, sheltered, girlfriend that SB was on Gilmore Girls she got so excited she literally jumped in the air. It was an interesting crew to go to the concert with. I do hear that he is quite good on GG, though, so you're not the only person who thinks so. I must admit to never seeing him on it, though. (Apparently I may be watching it on TiVo though next time I go to see the girl.)

daveymck
11-14-2005, 05:32 AM
I have to say their debut album was so dissapointing, heard Youth gone wild and 18 and life and thought have to have this, the rest of the album is nowhere near any of those songs apart from I remember you.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Are you serious? First of all, three great songs on an album is more than I usually expect. And second of all, "Here I Am" "Big Guns" and "Sweet Little Sister" are all solid.

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to say their debut album was so dissapointing, heard Youth gone wild and 18 and life and thought have to have this, the rest of the album is nowhere near any of those songs apart from I remember you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this; I thought Slave to the Grind was the good album. "Wasted Time." "Riot Act."

Slow Play Ray
11-14-2005, 10:16 AM
<--------- soooooo friggin' jealous!

Any Boston dates??

daveymck
11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? First of all, three great songs on an album is more than I usually expect. And second of all, "Here I Am" "Big Guns" and "Sweet Little Sister" are all solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally serious and the songs you mentioned highlighted it my thoughts when read all of those song titles was "aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Nooooooooooooo"

Bulldog
11-14-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only Skid Row can pull off a lyrical masterpiece like "I remember you." He uses the same word to rhyme with itself, "kiss with kiss." I believe the lyric goes:

"I said I’d give my life for just one kiss

Remember yesterday - walking hand in hand..."

It's like they said "Hey, what rhymes with kiss? I know, kiss!"

[/ QUOTE ]

"Cute, cute, and cute; you are the poet laureate"

Bonus points to anyone who knows the reference w/o google.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't think so. He was only going to do the Mulcahy's gig, but then due to popular demand he added a show the night before in New Jersey somewhere. He is now in Brazil. Not sure when he gets back to the US. You can check it out on sebastianweb.com I believe.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Man. Not enough appreciation for the big hair rock, I suppose. Well, I guess it is a certain perspective having to do largely with being born in the US in the '80s. I can definitely understand not liking the songs I mentioned or even any of Skid Row's songs. But I still love them and expect that many people born in the US in the '80s do, too, and always will.

daveymck
11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
No wasnt a hair rock fan more a standard/thrash metal fan, so hated gnr and motley crue etc. I did like Love/Hate as well not sure if you would class them as hair rock but Jizzy pearl has such history I think.

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did like Love/Hate as well not sure if you would class them as hair rock

[/ QUOTE ]

I would classify them as "terrible." I had a girlfriend who liked that band. Drove me nuts to listen to them, after a while i just refused.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, yeah, if you hate GNR, Motley Crue, etc. then obviously you are going to be dissapointed by Skid Row. In fact, I'm surprised you liked the three songs you did.

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, yeah, if you hate GNR, Motley Crue, etc. then obviously you are going to be dissapointed by Skid Row. In fact, I'm surprised you liked the three songs you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love GNR, hate Motley Crue, and like the three songs mentioned off the first Skid Row record and pretty much all of the 2nd except one cut which I can't remember the name of, since I haven't heard the album in 10 years, and hate the rest of Skid Row's catalog. It has nothing to do with the amount of hair the bands had.

Anyone remember the SNL with Skid Row? Kiefer Sutherland hosted. Skid Row was pretty good, but the episode was pretty bad. So bad that on the reruns, it goes from the opening monologue to a commercial, right to Skid Row's first tune.

This included a sketch w. Adam Sandler as Axl Rose singing a children's album. Bach and Rachel Bolan guested in the sketch and Bach did dueling ABC's with Sandler's Axl. It was pretty funny.

Skid Row did "Piece of Me," which is one of their tunes I'm not a fan of, and "Monkey Business," which I do like and came across well.

daveymck
11-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Would you class Warrior Soul as a hair band? as they were another band of that era I really liked. I did like some Tesla stuff as well.

I also have some White Lion somwhere in my collection one song in particular really liked cant remeber the name of the song but was very drummy.

imported_The Vibesman
11-14-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would you class Warrior Soul as a hair band? as they were another band of that era I really liked. I did like some Tesla stuff as well.

I also have some White Lion somwhere in my collection one song in particular really liked cant remeber the name of the song but was very drummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really remember Warrior Soul at all. I think I was starting to lose my taste for a lot of contemporary radio music at the time.

I was a Tesla fan myself. They had some good tunes.

The bands I thought of as "hair" bands were bands like Warrant, Poison, White Lion, Motley Crue, bands like that. Pop bands doing the pop tunes of the day - a lot of these bands were the "New Kids On The Block" of their time. I actually thought GNR rose above all that to make really good rock music for their time.

Skid Row I thought of as a hair band with a few good tunes until Slave to the Grind was released. I really liked that album and had high hopes for the band, but the third album was a major setback. I decided they just caught lightning in a bottle on "Slave," and had probably just been lucky.

I try not to judge bands or decide if I like them based on what genre other people put them into, although I'm guilty myself of labelling as it makes it easier to discuss some things with people. I never considered any of the above bands to be "metal" (except maybe Motley Crue's first album, and even then...) - metal was Slayer, Iron Maiden, Megadeath, Metallica, earlier bands like King Diamond/Merciful Fate. It was always weird to me that people would decide they liked a certain kind of music and refuse to make distinctions otherwise.

I'm not really sure what my point is.

Shajen
11-14-2005, 12:49 PM
Awesome.

Skid Row was/is the one band from the hair band era I'd pay to see play.

Waste Time is a bad-assed song.

SB has some amazing vocal skills, I understand he was clasically trained, but that might just be a rumor.

Boris
11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Nice concert dude. Too bad you didn't get sweet cell phone pics of the metal mullitia.

Skid Row was the best of the big hair cheese metal bands. That's if you don't put Ratt in the category. Otherwise Ratt was the best.

nyc999
11-14-2005, 01:26 PM
He's doing better than their drummer:

Rob Affuso 15 years later (http://www.soulsystemorchestras.com)

coltrane
11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Incredibly high energy level for the entire show

[/ QUOTE ]

that's good to hear, seems like everytime I see old SeaBass these days he looks totally assed out......first concert I ever went to: fifth grade, Giants Stadium, East Rutherford New Jersey, Bon Jovi the "homecoming show", Skid Row was the opening band.....I also saw Sebastian on broadway when he did the "Jeckyll and Hyde" thing.....it was pretty funny, everytime he went up to the high notes that most male singers sing operatically, he kind of screeched them a la "FINGERS TO THE BO-OO-ONE!"....

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah, he is classically trained and has been in three Broadway shows. Haven't seen the performances, though, so they very well might suck. He actually mentioned not drinking before the show (as though this were a rarity for him). I think it definitely helped his performance that he was sober and with band members that seemed to genuinely be friends of his. He was very good natured, high spirited, joking around, doing microphone tricks, etc. during the whole show. The rapport with the audience was incredible. He mentioned that he had played that venue several times before and I believe that also improved the general experience both for him and for us.

Also, I meant to mention in the OP but forgot and have now been reminded by the discussion: he spoke several times before songs, mostly about his support for our troops in Iraq and how we should 'get the job done' quickly and then bring the troops back home 'where they belong'. But his best little bit was when he said that he was working on a new album. Then he says 'I know, I've been saying that for SIX YEARS!' and makes a face like 'so sue me' and hold out his arms to the side as he shrugs. Then he goes 'But I WILL promise you this: my album will come out before Axl's album. I think he's going to title his Welcome to the Rest Home!' Awesome!

codewarrior
11-14-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, it's much better than the one thing they've got being a film that as he recalls they both kinda liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep Blue Something was a very underrated band.

TheWorstPlayer
11-14-2005, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, it's much better than the one thing they've got being a film that as he recalls they both kinda liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deep Blue Something was a very underrated band.

[/ QUOTE ]
If by 'was' you mean 'is' and by 'underrated' you mean 'overrated' I agree completely.

4_2_it
11-14-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was a Tesla fan myself. They had some good tunes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Tesla in concert about a 3 years at the HOB in Orlando (Vince Neil opened). They did the best version of War Pigs I've ever heard (and I've seen Ozzy and Sabbath).

You cannot discuss 80's heavy metal without a shout out to Iron Maiden.

daveymck
11-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Better than Faith No Mores version?

Saw Maiden few weeks ago doing the early days stuff, great night.

4_2_it
11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Better than Faith No Mores version?

Saw Maiden few weeks ago doing the early days stuff, great night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say yes, but it's very close. FNM wins in the vocal category, but the Tesla guitarists did the entire intro (air raid sirens and all) without the aid of any computer effects and drew it out for a solid 45 seconds.

Maiden live was one of the best shows I've ever seen (and that was circa 1984). Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is up there too.