PDA

View Full Version : 75-150 Stud: Running a Bluff With Scary Board

Jeffage
11-13-2005, 04:52 PM
75-150 stud at Taj. We're just getting started on Friday afternoon so we're playing 3-handed (game filled soon after). Villian in this hand is a very nice guy, but also a very good player (at least compared to the usual lineup in this game). He knows me and I think he respects my play to an extent. Anyways...

Villian brings in low with an 8 up. I raise next to act with (K,9) 10, no suits. Other guy mucks a 4 or something. So heads up to 4th.

4th street

Hero (Kx,9x) 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villian (x,x) 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checks, I bet and he calls.

5th street

Hero (Kx,9x) 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villian (x,x) 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

For some reason, I think I'm first to act and go to bet which I guess was believable to my opponent who seemed to hesitate and then checked. I bet and he called. Scary board and I have a pair now.

6th street

Hero (Kx,9x) 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villian (x,x) 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

He checks, I bet, he goes into the tank and finally calls. Ugh.

On the river, I hit nothing. He checks. What's my play in this huge pot? What about the rest?

Thanks,
Jeff

BeerMoney
11-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Jeff, aren't you really the only one that can answer this?

If he's a good solid player, go ahead and bluff if you catch any 2 or 4. Something like that. Or, save that $150 for that romantic evening you and mscags have planned. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

blumpkin22
11-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I think you need to fire the river. While there is a decent chance he will call, I think he will fold enough of the time (of course, you have a better read on him than I do). The way he called sixth street could certainly mean he picked up a spade draw and was trying to think about whether your fifth club was better than jack high. Unfortunately since he knows you are a good player he probably knows to call the river with some hands that beat one pair of nines.

mscags
11-13-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff, aren't you really the only one that can answer this?

If he's a good solid player, go ahead and bluff if you catch any 2 or 4. Something like that. Or, save that $150 for that romantic evening you and mscags have planned. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You bitch /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BeerMoney
11-13-2005, 06:27 PM
One way that I thought about playing the river is to put your bet out in front of you, and scream at the top of your lungs: "FOLD!!!!!!!!!!" But, this actually might have worked better on 6th.

Honestly, I'd say he picked up two pair, and is unwilling to fold.

Jeffage
11-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Ok, this hand probably wasn't that interesting. I bet the river and he called. He had two pair (8's and 3's) so he won (he had 83 down). More comments welcome. I'll post some more hands from the session tomorrow.

Jeff

Andy B
11-13-2005, 11:38 PM
I've read the other replies but not the results. I like how you've played this thus far. I think you have to bluff the river. It won't work most of the time, but he doesn't have to fold very often for that bet to show a profit.

benwood
11-13-2005, 11:49 PM
You guys play better than me, but I'm going to give you my humble opinion anyway. I hate to charge right up to the river & then check a mediocre hand. So I would bet. My opponents are worse players than your op here, but can this guy always guess to lay down a pair of 8's & call with something a touch better? I don'think so.

frappeboy
11-14-2005, 07:26 AM
I wouldn't bluff here because I never bluff.......

Michael Emery
11-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey Jeff. Why does everyone in this thread favor bluffing so much here? What, you have no showdown value with a pair of nines? The way I see it when he calls sixth he most likely has 1.) a pair (likely lower than nines) with a spade draw 2.) a hand like two pair that hes not folding for one bet on the river once he calls. Given that I think these are his most likely holdings I cant say I like the river "bluff" at all when he checks to you. Is my stud game atrophying due to too much hold'em lately or what? I've read all the responses and why am I the only one that thinks this is a clear check? "Bluffing" just cant be right here.

Mike Emery

Michael Emery
11-14-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

One way that I thought about playing the river is to put your bet out in front of you, and scream at the top of your lungs: "FOLD!!!!!!!!!!" But, this actually might have worked better on 6th.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is honestly the funniest thing I've read all year. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeerMoney
11-14-2005, 08:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Jeff. Why does everyone in this thread favor bluffing so much here? What, you have no showdown value with a pair of nines? The way I see it when he calls sixth he most likely has 1.) a pair (likely lower than nines) with a spade draw 2.) a hand like two pair that hes not folding for one bet on the river once he calls. Given that I think these are his most likely holdings I cant say I like the river "bluff" at all when he checks to you. Is my stud game atrophying due to too much hold'em lately or what? I've read all the responses and why am I the only one that thinks this is a clear check? "Bluffing" just cant be right here.

Mike Emery

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, I missed the fact that jeffage had a pair of nines.

PS, tell everyone the good news.

Jeffage
11-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Bluff might be the wrong term, but I believe that I am "bluffing" by betting the river since I doubt he calls 6th without two pair minimum. Yes, he may have picked up a spade draw but I don't think he labors as long when facing my bet if he did. That's why I put him on two pair or (outside chance) trips. So I sorta had no doubt I am betting the worst hand on the river.

Jeff

MRBAA
11-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Seems like just a feel call. From here, it seems unlikely he'd fold any hand that beats you, although he might call with a couple that you can beat.

lane mcbride
11-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I check the river. I think he is calling a bet if he has you beat. However, if he was on a flush draw and missed, your pair of nines will win. I don't see much expectation out of betting the river. There aren't too many hands that he's going to fold to a bet except those that you beat anyway. (maybe jacks, but I think he would probably call with just jacks here too since the pot is big and he called on sixth)