PDA

View Full Version : Should buy in effect play style?

11-13-2005, 04:18 PM
For online SNG’s should buyin have any effect on play style?

I’ve built up a pretty nice bankroll playing mostly 20$ SNG’s and am considering moving up to 30$ or 50$ buyins. My bankroll can support the buyin but before moving I was wondering if I should consider changing my play style.

I’m a rather aggressive player but not reckless. I can make very good laydowns but like to see lots of flops. I don’t like to enter a non-raised pot and like to be the raiser most of the time. I do raise with quality and lesser hands like medium suited connecters. Lastly I rely a lot on post flop play to gather chips.

pergesu
11-13-2005, 04:26 PM
You should adapt to your opponents' styles of play, exploit them however possible. Considering your average 215er is vastly different from your average 22er, yes, the buyin should affect your play. Just remember to play good poker, which means using your opponents to determine how you should play, not the money on the line.

ebaudry
11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
There are definitely differences between the opponents, so adapting your play seems to be a smart move.

Going from $22 -> $33 tournaments, I would expect in general:

Your pushes will get called less.
Your opponents pushing range will increase.
The meaning of odd bets may change (like raising 75% of one's stack on a steal).
table VP$IP may go down.
Awareness of the importance of bubble and HU play will increase.
There may be 1-2 additional "good" players at a given table.

There are other changes too, these are all that come to mind. Each of those items above has several implications towards how you should change your play.

11-13-2005, 06:19 PM
I have just moved from the $20 game to $30 game (today). I will let you know but I am expecting it to still be very easy for me.

11-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks everyone; I think the one thing I did not consider was the additional strong players at the table. In the 20$ range there really only seems to be one or two other players who I would rate strong and as such I watch out for. Everyone else seems to be gambling.