PDA

View Full Version : A little beggining help please.

thatpkrguy
11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Ok so i'm a beginner at OPL and am looking for a little basic info to help me get started...i've scoured the internet with google and have gotten some good information, but am a little iffy about how good it is ect ect..

So should you all be kind enough to give me some insight about the following info i would very much appreciate it.

Ok so starting hands, i'm not sure what is to tight and what is to loose. Now granted i understand that position matters in this game as with any, but it seems to be a bit more important in OPL so of the info that i have come up with what would be playable from early, mid and late?

AAxx
KKxx
High Pair w/ Suited Ace: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gifQA /images/graemlins/heart.gifx JJA /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
High Pair w/ Mid to Low Pair:JJ77 QQ44
High Pair w/ tow or more other hands: JJ97 KTT8
Any Four High Cards:...
Three High Cards w/ Active Sidecard:KQJ8 A /images/graemlins/heart.gifJT4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Three Card Straight w/ Pair:7655 7898
Three Card Straight w/ Suited Ace:8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif76A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Close Group w/ two Gaps or Less: JT76 9854 JT86

I'm also a iffy oh how good of a hand is neaded to lead out post flop...obv position plays a role...but for example would a pot sized bet from the button w/ top two be ok with only 2 to a straight or flush?

I'm reading all of the backdated info about OPL i can from here but as always i greatly appreciate any info you can give me. thanks

Thatpkrguy

thatpkrguy
11-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Was i offensive somehow in this post....or did i ask for to much information?

TheRempel
11-13-2005, 08:57 PM
You are asking a fairly controversial question. Most PLO players do not agree on different starting hand values. The hands you lay out cover a wide range of playable starting hands. Once you get used to post flop play you can play almost any four cards in position.

11-13-2005, 10:52 PM
I would not recommend playing any four cards from any position. The best omaha players in the world have boundaries. I love drawing hands such as 8 9 10 J DS. Having 10J in your hand is so deadly because your gauranteed to get the high end of the straight. However, whenever you're playing omaha, ALWAYS know what the nuts are. When the board pairs, you can be sure someone will have a boat. Same thing goes for three cards to a flush.

In terms of playable starting hands, I only like KKxx heads up unless it has some flush or straight possibilites. It is just not strong enough of a hand unless it hits trips or fills up. The more you play, the more comfortable you will get with the game and you will create a series of starting hands you like to play that fits your style.

beset7
11-13-2005, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you get used to post flop play you can play almost any four cards in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

emphasis is mine.

TheRempel
11-13-2005, 11:08 PM
<sarcasm>Thank you for carefully reading my post before replying. </sarcasm>

Obviously I would not advocate playing any four cards in any position. There are, however, situations in which it is fundamentally correct to play any four live cards in or out of position.