PDA

View Full Version : trying to think outside the box, dead wrong or on to something?

supersub
11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
six handed game.
A very good player, lets say 27/19/2.5 (exact stats not important), raises UTG+1 and you find ATs, KQs or something in that range, on the button. SB will most likely fold even for one raise without a real hand but you “know” that clueless BB will call if you don´t raise it up again.

Is there any value in getting the pot protected by only calling and letting the crappy BB in? I feel that UTG+1 may have an advantage on me if we only play heads up all the time but could my relative hand strength and position make it easier and more profitable to play if I make this a threehanded pot?

Spicymoose
11-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't think so. While you do have multiway strength, you have even more strength heads up with your initiative.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Given that you will play your hand (I think I would fold i.e. A10s here):

Position is more valuable heads up than 3-handed, so that factor plus getting free BB money in the pot instead of a BB with a hand in play advocates raising. However, if the BB sucks postflop I would just coldcall to keep him in since I want him to do more mistakes. So basically for me this would depend on BB's postflop skills.

supersub
11-13-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Position is more valuable heads up than 3-handed

[/ QUOTE ]

i do not agree with this.
as for ATs, i might agree. My point was that I have a hand that is close to borderline and somewhat hard to play post flop.

Arnfinn Madsen
11-13-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Position is more valuable heads up than 3-handed

[/ QUOTE ]

i do not agree with this.
as for ATs, i might agree. My point was that I have a hand that is close to borderline and somewhat hard to play post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play against a good opponent and decide to play a marginal hand, you have to play it like it is a bit better than marginal (if not it is better to fold preflop). Often a major reason you choose to play a marginal hand with position is due to the chance of winning the pot uncontested (a lot of other benefits with position too of course). This chance is substantially higher heads up than 3-way.