PDA

View Full Version : inducing bluffs.

whiskeytown
11-13-2005, 08:21 AM
I've been trying this tactic more - I forgot where I read it - I think on the site of a guy trying to sell lessons, but it does work well, esp. if you are in Early Position.

Step 1. - flop a monster - the flush or a set.
Step 2. - make a SMALL bet on the flop - 3/4th the size of the pot - enough to make it wrong for draws to call heads up, but not enough to really feel like you're trying to get them out.
Step 3 - Check the turn
Step 4. - Check the river - I'm guessing 75% of the time I get a bluff out of the opposition - I then do the min. raise and almost always get a call.

Anyone else like doing this? - Seems like an easier way to get chips then actually just bluffing myself. But it does require some check/calling - which of course, is tantamount to saying you don't want to win at poker in some people's eyes.

RB

Stipe_fan
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Yes....When I make this play, the opponent will bet out 80% of the time. I feel it is a great way to induce a bluff or a second pair to call the river bet.

Stipe

TheBlueMonster
11-13-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Step 3 - Check the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
definitely the most effective strategy for inducing a bluff. Especially if you flop a set and the turn is an overcard to the highest flop card. Most people will continue to represent this "scary" overcard on the river. And that's where a check raise might work well.

11-13-2005, 02:29 PM
yea it's a good method, but 75% is small bet? I think most would interpret that as value bet and might leave you alone.. I'd bet like <half pot

TheBlueMonster
11-13-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yea it's a good method, but 75% is small bet? I think most would interpret that as value bet and might leave you alone.. I'd bet like <half pot

[/ QUOTE ]
this is usually read dependant I think. Also all this depends on what type of image you've cultivated up to this point

whiskeytown
11-13-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm trying to push that edge of equity where I can get them to make a bigger -EV mistake the closer I can push to a pot sized bet - but I think you're right - at least heads up half the pot will work too - I was maybe thinking 2/3rd's at one point is that Dan Harrington wrote for making it incorrect for a flush draw to continue....

I don't have the exact math, but you get the idea.

RB