PDA

View Full Version : OT: My 38 game OOTM streak is over

pergesu
11-13-2005, 04:19 AM
So I wanted to avoid making ths post. Cause IU think stupid gay postsr are..well...stupid and gay.

Anyway, I've managed to go on a 38 game OOTM streak. This hasnt'e been in one day, it's been over thr course of 4 days. Every day I come in thinking, "Okay I'm good to go, I'll play well and it'll be all over" and you know what? I play goo.d Yoiu know what else? It's not all ove.r

So this is my signing off post. Again, stupid and agy. Sorry for that, at leat I lableelled it OT. But yeah, I'm done playin SNGs. Done with poker in general really. If you've ever listned to any advice I gave...I encourange you to eignore it (that's probably my only useful bit of advice ever).

I'm gonna be at the HUC in Feburyar...so I'll see you guys there. Just don't expect me to play nyay poker.

Thanks for the fun guys. It was pimp holla NIGGA

Scuba Chuck
11-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Unarmed will be happy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tea_Bagger
11-13-2005, 04:26 AM
Hate to see you go. In my hours of lurking, I've read your posts with interest and admiration.

That being said, I'm sorry if I don't really believe you. I've personally done the whole "i'm done with poker thing" and then bought back in within 2 weeks. I also know plenty of peeps who've done the same thing. I think it's normal to get over-dramatic when you've been OOTM almost 40 times, but please don't say/do anything you're gonna regret.

GL

pergesu
11-13-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unarmed will be happy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid him. Not as much as he (and I, to be honest) was hoping for. But I paid him, so we're straight.

microbet
11-13-2005, 04:46 AM
This makes me sad.

Keep it real dude. True.

Olback
11-13-2005, 04:48 AM
Sad to see you go. I enjoyed reading your posts.

wiggs73
11-13-2005, 04:53 AM
Dude,seriously relate. Don't go. F'ing A. I'm not kidding.

gildwulf
11-13-2005, 04:53 AM
That sucks, dude...hope you come back someday...

wiggs73
11-13-2005, 04:55 AM
don't go (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=&Number=1822484&page= 1&view=&sb=5&o=14&fpart=)

ilya
11-13-2005, 05:00 AM
You'll be back. Winning players always come back.

suited_ace
11-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Sucks to hear it, man. Today I opened a hole on my wall by punching it a little bit too hard after a very frustrating run.

Gambling in general has a very bad vibe that can really get under your skin (or at least mine). It's no surprise so many people end up addicted. I have enjoyed times where I was totally shielded against that vibe, running good or not, and I had (and have) to deal with the times where that vibe just kills me.

We all need to deal with that, and for some it's easier than others, but all of us have to deal with it. No wonder there are so many bad beat/bad run posts in the STTF. It's very easy to deal with it when you're riding a heater, but the ability of not letting a bad run affect you too much is what sets apart the men from the boys.

The fresh hole on my wall doesn't let me lie about it: I still get too affected by my results, and I hope one day I'll be able to go through a huge downsizing without losing it. An OOTM streak like yours would drive me absolutely insane. I'd start playing really badly after something like. You might be doing just that right now.

Not only that, you're taking a big decision after riding a huge cooler. Give it some time. Give it at least a week before thinking it over again. Take some distance from it all. *Then* you can make a decision.

Until then, go watch all the movies you missed, go out, see people, get stoned, whatever...

These are my .02. I hope they'll be useful in some way to you.

Ogre
11-13-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

psyduck
11-13-2005, 06:28 AM
GG NO RE I guess.

Sorry dude, but you'll be back /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chisness
11-13-2005, 06:46 AM
speaking of stats, my number of 1sts and 3rds is exactly the same after over 3400 sngs

bones
11-13-2005, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
speaking of stats, my number of 1sts and 3rds is exactly the same after over 3400 sngs

[/ QUOTE ]

This is both very relevant and a great contribution to the thread.

Freudian
11-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Sad to see you go, but perhaps you aren't suited for poker. You should realistically be a winning player by now but when you aren't, giving up poker might be the best option. Of course you might be a winning player thats on a super cooler, but that is almost worse since it is hard to take bad luck piling on bad luck.

If you ever decide to get back into poker, feel free to send me some tourney summaries and I'll go through them and see if I can offer some advice.

bones
11-13-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for perg, but it's likely that the problem is that he doesn't feel like he's a winning player anymore.

I've watched Pat play a ton of sngs and talk with him daily about hands, life, poker in general, etc. I can say without question that when he's on his game, he's easily one of the better players in the 800 chip games and is probably a favorite in the 55s. As for how he's playing now, I can't really say. But I can promise you that he's not going into each sng expecting to win, or even anything close to that. Losing has a way of poisoning the mind like that. Very few, if any, are immune to it.

It saddens me to see Pat struggle, because he's a good player and a good friend.

As Mike Matusow commented last year, "Kids, don't grow up to be poker players. It's the sickest thing any human being can do to themselves."

ilya
11-13-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for perg, but it's likely that the problem is that he doesn't feel like he's a winning player anymore.

I've watched Pat play a ton of sngs and talk with him daily about hands, life, poker in general, etc. I can say without question that when he's on his game, he's easily one of the better players in the 800 chip games and is probably a favorite in the 55s. As for how he's playing now, I can't really say. But I can promise you that he's not going into each sng expecting to win, or even anything close to that. Losing has a way of poisoning the mind like that. Very few, if any, are immune to it.

It saddens me to see Pat struggle, because he's a good player and a good friend.

As Mike Matusow commented last year, "Kids, don't grow up to be poker players. It's the sickest thing any human being can do to themselves."

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you are saying but I didn't just pull that out of my butt. I've seen 5 full HHs of perg's and they made me feel confident that he's a winning player. So though he may not feel like a winning player right now...he is. A 38 OOTM streak will wreak havoc on anyone's confidence, so I understand wanting to take a break. And I suppose if the emotional stress overshadows the profits, I understand quitting as well. But if he does decide to come back, he will make money.

skipperbob
11-13-2005, 08:50 AM
This Post makes Baby Jesus cry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

frappeboy
11-13-2005, 08:59 AM
I said the same thing after having a -150BB day, and I was playing again within 24 hours..

bawcerelli
11-13-2005, 09:50 AM
You'll be back.

11-13-2005, 12:25 PM
You are the bad player and the bad speller!

microbet
11-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Sorry for guessing this was you, Suited.

Degen
11-13-2005, 12:29 PM

Scuba Chuck
11-13-2005, 12:45 PM
I thought Tupac was dead?

bluefeet
11-13-2005, 12:49 PM
perg,

we've only spoken a handful of times off-line, so i don't want to pretend that i know you. but i'll tell you what i think anyway.

~ you don't suk @ poker (not even close)
~ you committed poker suicide

you're a 20 year old fuggin pimp SUPER genius. you don't know what the heck you want to do with yourself (understandable), but it isn't this. it's not a matter of second guessing your ability to beat this game. you are simply afraid of winning - knowing pok success keeps you from doing WHAT YOU KNOW are more personally rewarding/greater things.

you have more brains than most...you know that you have opportunities everywhere you look. so many, that it's easier to not take any of them. your 38ootm has little to do with luck, confidence, or your ability. you've gotten the monkey off your back. now go exlpore one of those opportunities!! don't look back...

good luck!! (though i don't think you'll need it /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

11-14-2005, 01:04 AM
I would suggest playing a couple hundred $11’s.

Pwning the donks will do wonders for your confidence.

ICMoney

Newt_Buggs
11-14-2005, 01:59 AM
This post made me very sad. I really don't know what to say. and I have no intention of putting you down in any way, but it appears that you're having some problem putting your theories into pratice. Honestly, winning players do not have a 38 OOTM streak, but I find it hard to believe that a player with a solid understanding of the game such as yourself cannot beat the lower levels. Maybe if you traded HH with some posters from this downswing they could help you pinpoint some of the errors that you're making and you could be back on your feet quickly.

applejuicekid
11-14-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
winning players do not have a 38 OOTM streak

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Good luck to OP.

eastbay
11-14-2005, 02:47 AM
I'm not going to give you the encouragement to try again line here, because it seems to me you've given enough for this game already.

If you're not having fun, and not making enough money to make it worth your while, then by all means - just stop. Sitting at a table pushing cards around, for real or on a computer, isn't the be-all of life. Get out and have some fun, do other things. Forget poker. It's just a card game.

eastbay

bjb23
11-14-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
winning players do not have a 38 OOTM streak

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Good luck to OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

im pretty sure he meant that winning players playing their best game wont have a 38ootm streak. that is a SERIOUS stroke of bad luck if the streak happened by chance alone. id be willing to bet that this streak was tilt and or alcohol-tilt induced.

to the op: good luck with whatever you choose. if the game is no longer fun, then quitting is surely the best option. i have a hunch that ill see you back here though. from what ive read, it seems like you have a passion for the game.

11-14-2005, 03:42 AM
donks dont finish OOTM 38 times in a row very often. Pokers been pretty cruel to you.

Anyways, your posts in the past have improved my game and I wanted to say thanks. I hope one day youll come back and win all the money that you deserve.

have fun on your break,
Brian

Slim Pickens
11-14-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest playing a couple hundred $11’s.

Pwning the donks will do wonders for your confidence.

ICMoney

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I dropped 40 buy-ins at the 11's after winning at the 33's and 22's (and 11's for that matter). Doing that after a 38 OOTM streak would make any sane person start hating life, not just poker.

You're not a quitter if you quit here. I'm quitting this game as soon as I don't need the money.

DPCondit
11-14-2005, 04:50 AM
38 OOTM? It makes me cringe just to think about it. Then how much is a safe bankroll? I thought 30 or 40 buy ins was generally considered ok.

Hey guy, I sure as hell wouldn't want to play poker after a beating like that. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do.

Good luck,
Don

HesseJam
11-14-2005, 05:30 AM
38? That's a real b1tch! Look, you got hit by the bad luck truck. Hard. Even the average to semi bad player would be very unlucky to get dealt this streak. One would really have to try hard to do that willingly.

Of course, I do not know how you feel right now. My worst streak so far is about 13. That felt already bad and I know that this is nothing out of the ordinary. Then, the next day, I went 1-1-1-3 in the first set 1-2-2-x in the next and all was well again.

Regroup a couple of days, step down, etc. Play ring games for bonii, etc.

11-14-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not a quitter if you quit here. I'm quitting this game as soon as I don't need the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. You don't like the game at all then? I would only ever quit if I absolutely could not afford to play. No way I would ever quit cold turkey.

11-14-2005, 06:27 AM
applejuice,

I think you should calculate the chances of a 30% ITM, a 35% ITM, and a 40% ITM player finishing "out of the money" 38 times in a row.

Degen
11-14-2005, 08:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Tupac was dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i hope you were kidding charlie...but ill take the bait anyway...Tupac is our heros avatar, and they both like to talk a lot of ish, so ya...looks like the consensus is one week

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Slim Pickens
11-14-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. You don't like the game at all then? I would only ever quit if I absolutely could not afford to play. No way I would ever quit cold turkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can single-table the 6's for fun. No one needs crap like 38 OOTM streaks while playing for more money per night than he makes in a month.

lacky
11-14-2005, 01:35 PM
one thing I've always been curious about is what percentage of intellegent people start off in poker on the bad side off varience and just quit. and I mean the BAD side, those god awful 1000 game break even, 35 ish buyin slides, or 300 bb in limit.

I wonder how many would be able to work through something like that, and how many would just say "stupid game" and be done with it.

11-14-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one thing I've always been curious about is what percentage of intellegent people start off in poker on the bad side off varience and just quit.

[/ QUOTE ]I bet it's a smaller percentage than those who start off on the positive side of variance and are convinced forever that they are winning players despite dropping money for months.

applejuicekid
11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
applejuice,

I think you should calculate the chances of a 30% ITM, a 35% ITM, and a 40% ITM player finishing "out of the money" 38 times in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK will do.

30%: 1 / 769,617
35%: 1 / 12,861,524
40%: 1 / 269,310,003

What is your point?

This says nothing about whether or not winning players can have 38 OOTM.

kevstreet
11-14-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... what percentage of intellegent people start off in poker on the bad side off varience and just quit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, I often wonder how I would have reacted to a bad start. In fact, I didn't start reading 2+2 until I had been playing for a while and this is the place where I've learned how difficult (and normal) bad swings can be. Glad variance waited until I was more astute. I'm sure bad starts have turned away some decent players.

Perg, a week off will do you good... see you then.

pooh74
11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one thing I've always been curious about is what percentage of intellegent people start off in poker on the bad side off varience and just quit. and I mean the BAD side, those god awful 1000 game break even, 35 ish buyin slides, or 300 bb in limit.

I wonder how many would be able to work through something like that, and how many would just say "stupid game" and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why everyone should start out at the 5s for awhile...I think playing against horrible players will cushion these effects at first.

What I see most of, among friends of mine (so I can infer it runs rampant) is starting out on the positive side, then moving up in stakes because they think they rule, then up some more then busting out.

One friend started out like this, worked up to my BR-level (what had originally taken me 4 months to build) in about a week playing 24/7 and then went broke in another week.

Anyway, this is way OT...But just wanted to say, that playing for income is stressful I can imagine...but if you still like the game, make money eleswhere and play for fun...you'll like poker again, and any money will just be added reward...not the only reward.

DeathbySuckout
11-14-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was playing the $22s at the beginning of the year, doing good. I got my BR up to about $1000, but then had to do an emergency cashout, leaving myself about enough to start over at the $11s. I took a break from SnGs for a while, then decided to start playing them hard again.
My first 350ish were break even. That may not sound like a lot to you guys, but when you can only play about 4 tourneys a night, a couple nights a week, it grinds you down. And by break even, I mean I started by digging a hole of about a 20 buy-in drop, then dug my way back out. And when I got back up to even, I would start heading downhill again. Over and over again. The only thing that kept me going, was that I was beating the $22s in the beginning of the year, and the passion for playing SnGs.
But the feeling of not being able to beat the $11s sucks. You read posts on here about how people can teach a monkey to beat the $11s for a 30% ROI, then look at your 1% ROI, and think to yourself, "Why the f am I doing this?" "Oh, yeah, it's fun, remember?"
I tought I was playing perfectly. I can now admit that I wasn't. I finally realized that I was wayyyyyy weak tight. Running bad or break even will do that to you before you realize it. It just came to me one day while I was reading the posts on here, "Holy shite! I'm a big pussy late game!" So I amped up the aggression. For November, I'm about 150 tourneys in and at 39% ROI. Yeah, I feel a little better.

To pergesu, I have never had that many OOTM, But I know a little bit about how you're feeling. If you think that the best thing for you to sdo is stop playing for now, then do it, and have some fun for a change. But from what I see in your posts, and from what everyone here says about your game, you need to come back at some time. It seems that you should be playing poker, just maybe not right now.
Until then, good luck, and please continue posting.

chisness
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
it's almost impossible to have any confidence after experiencing that. even after playing a few thousand, if i hit a bad streak (especially after a break) i feel like i don't if i'm good enough a lot of the time.

playtitleist
11-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Good question. I never tracked my performance until coming to 2+2 (for sure I was down lifetime though). I started off very cold and kept it below breakeven for a long time. But I knew I was learning and felt I would turn it around with the help of HoH1/2 and 2+2. I did turn it around eventually.

I posted a few weeks ago a 1/2/1/28 string at the $11s. I can't say 0/0/0/38, but I can feel for perg. I won't endeaver to say he'll be back or not. I won't try to console him either. I am sure Perg knows he is a good player, which is precisely why he has had it with this game.

Luck sucks. Plain and simple. Likely he made some bad plays, likely he went on tilt and made plays he otherwise would not have made. Both amplify the affect of luck. Likely he made more right plays than wrong plays. Likely a LOT more right than wrong. But when one does everything one knows how to do and luck jumps out and fugs it all up 38 times in a row, I can only imagine how demoralizing it must be.

As somebody said, "even donks don't go 38 OOTM". That's the point. Perg knows he's a good player. Maybe a long-term winning player. So he has no explanation for his 38 OOTMs other than [censored] for luck. 38 OOTMs isn't what sucks, what sucks is luck and Perg has decided it just isn't worth the agravation anymore.

Good luck perg. Again, I won't guess whether you will play again or not. And I won't console you. But selfishly, I hope you continue to post, because you definitely know more about SNGs than I and your posts make me a better player.

11-14-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good question. I never tracked my performance until coming to 2+2 (for sure I was down lifetime though). I started off very cold and kept it below breakeven for a long time. But I knew I was learning and felt I would turn it around with the help of HoH1/2 and 2+2. I did turn it around eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]That's the thing. I expect that most people who start out badly think that it is just an adjustment or learning phase. People who give online poker a try probably imagine themselves as smart and capable, even if only from watching poker on TV. (For an example of this kind of thinking, recall all the posts from players who think they can beat the 22s for a better ROI than the 5s because the players at the 22s are better and they only play well against other good players.)

On the other hand, if someone starts out well, that only reinforces their opinion of themself. Once the opinion has been reinforced, it's going to take quite a while before their mind is changed.

I think we're all guilty of this to a certain extent. I've played only 500 SNGs, but I've played them at a 25% ROI pace. I'm confident that I am a winning player (at least at the stakes I'm playing). But, part of me knows that the forst 500 SNG proves nothing.

1C5
11-14-2005, 07:11 PM
If I lost my initial $300 deposit in January, I probably would have never played again.

11-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Poll Results: 58% Pergesu back within one week.
Pergesu is back. Elapsed time: 4 days.

skipperbob
11-17-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poll Results: 58% Pergesu back within one week.
Pergesu is back. Elapsed time: 4 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to change my Vote /images/graemlins/mad.gif

1C5
11-17-2005, 03:49 PM
He is playing again already?

hahahahahhahaha can't even quit properly.

GtrHtr
11-17-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is playing again already?

hahahahahhahaha can't even quit properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I talked with him today. He's not playing, just posting some. I'll let him tell you the rest...

1C5
11-17-2005, 04:31 PM
FYI, I would want to take a long break after 38 OTM in a row also, I felt a little crappy after my 26 so I kind of know the feeling, but not quite.