UTG: t5000
Button: t4300
SB: t3200
Hero: t1000

Blinds: 100/200
Preflop: Hero is dealt: Two cards
2 folds, SB min raises, Hero calls

Flop: (t800) AcKc4s
SB bets t200, Hero raises t600 and is allin.

Let's discuss.

bluef0x
11-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Any reads? I push a lot of hands back unless this is an unsual move by SB or I have crap, in which case I probably make the move you did- pushing in on any flop.

bluefeet
11-13-2005, 03:37 AM
@ 100/200, you with one of your 5bb's in the post, a "real hand" is putting you in PF - which SHOULD certainly included any Ace. more often a donk-minraise is representive of a misguided attempt at PF aggression, generally followed by the min-"you're suppose to fold now shortie" flop lead. given his line, pushing back here, with this precise chip count, makes this a profitable line in the end...IMO. with his twice-shown hesitancy, you're call PF & push over post, can certainly be representative of at least the King enough to get him to dump, saving himself t400 (and perhaps psychologically...the "embarrassment" of a showdown).

Scuba Chuck
11-13-2005, 06:09 AM
My thoughts:

If I fold here, and have 800 on the next round (actually 700 after posting), I have virtually no folding equity anyhow. So whether I begin the next hand with 600 or 800 means very little to me at this point.

At the moment, I have two cards which are weak. Furthermore, I likely have a small amount of folding equity if I push here, so why not take the good pot odds and see a flop. There's a decent chance I can bluff him off the hand.

My plan. If I hit the flop at all, directly or draw wise, my chips are going in the middle. If SB limp bets into me, I'm pushing if there's a bunch of overcards. If I whiff the flop, and villain pot commits me, I'm folding. That was the game plan.

tigerite
11-13-2005, 08:05 AM
It's not a bad plan, but the problem is you would re-push preflop with most Ax. If it was me in SB's shoes, though I'd never have done some crappy min-raise (or at least very very rarely), I'd only fold if I put you on exactly Kx here (and that with x probably below 9). Which ain't too likely, therefore it will only work if he's not very observant.

bennies
11-13-2005, 08:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a bad plan, but the problem is you would re-push preflop with most Ax. If it was me in SB's shoes, though I'd never have done some crappy min-raise (or at least very very rarely), I'd only fold if I put you on exactly Kx here (and that with x probably below 9). Which ain't too likely, therefore it will only work if he's not very observant.

[/ QUOTE ]

As BB I'd even push Kx preflop.

However, I still like Scubas line, at a low buyin tournie I think we can expect (sort of) villain not to go through this thought process.

I also like Bluefeets comment that villain might fold just to save some embarresment...

tigerite
11-13-2005, 09:09 AM
Well yeah that's what I was getting at, read-dependent /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bennies
11-13-2005, 09:22 AM
by the way tigerite, I'll be out of town for a few days, take care of the day time forum meanwhile /images/graemlins/cool.gif

oh, and don't reveal to many secrets. And oh, good luck at the tables /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scuba Chuck
11-13-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I also like Bluefeets comment that villain might fold just to save some embarresment...

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I was thinking they're folding because they don't want to "leak" anymore chips to shorty than they already have.

bigt439
11-13-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm surprised at the replies so far. I think this is a pretty gross hand. I think you're better off folding and pushing your sb or button. You do have FE pushing 3.5 bb's, I don't understand that comment indicating you don't. Flop is again dumb I think. He calls with like anything. That's the problem with pf, on the flop he gets money in first.

Scuba Chuck
11-14-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised at the replies so far. I think this is a pretty gross hand. I think you're better off folding and pushing your sb or button. You do have FE pushing 3.5 bb's, I don't understand that comment indicating you don't. Flop is again dumb I think. He calls with like anything. That's the problem with pf, on the flop he gets money in first.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much FE do I have with 3.5 BBs against a bigstack who has 25.5 BBs? And how do I play if I'm not the first one in the pot? Each hand I wait, I have fewer and fewer chips. If I wait until I'm UTG, I will have 3.5 BBs, with the following stacks waiting to call behind me.

1 25.5 BB
2 21.5 BB
3 17 BB (assumes I fold this hand in question)

I don't think I have any FE anytime soon.

bigt439
11-14-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much FE do I have with 3.5 BBs against a bigstack who has 25.5 BBs? And how do I play if I'm not the first one in the pot? Each hand I wait, I have fewer and fewer chips. If I wait until I'm UTG, I will have 3.5 BBs, with the following stacks waiting to call behind me.

1 25.5 BB
2 21.5 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree you are not in a great spot, I don't think you put yourself in a better one by playing the hand like this. I mean sure there calling ranges are fairly sizeable, but obviously you have FE. No one is calling any two against you. I'm always surprised at how much people fold against pushes from stacks like yours.

I don't understand how you can be so concerned with FE and then push this flop.

Scuba Chuck
11-14-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 25.5 BB
2 21.5 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree you are not in a great spot, I don't think you put yourself in a better one by playing the hand like this. I mean sure there calling ranges are fairly sizeable, but obviously you have FE. No one is calling any two against you. I'm always surprised at how much people fold against pushes from stacks like yours.

I don't understand how you can be so concerned with FE and then push this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you fail to see the value in this bluff.