PDA

View Full Version : Posts Concerning a Commercial Poker Forum

beset7
11-13-2005, 01:37 AM
In a recent thread in the Omaha8 forum Ribbo, who contributes a fair amount to the forum, started blasting 2+2 and saying how this place is a perfect example of why he charges for membership to his PLO/PLO8b discussion forum. Then, in a subsequent post defended his practice of allowing people to post in his forum as long as they signed up for one of a few poker sites using his affiliate code. I deleted the posts and locked the thread. Acceptable?

I wish I'd saved copies of the posts. Just wanted other opinions on this. He didn't post the information for the purpose of advertising his forum but in the context of a discussion about the virtues of charging membership fees for a forum.

GuyOnTilt
11-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Unless he went off on someone from 2+2 personally or actually listed his website url or affiliate code, I don't get why his posts should be deleted. What's wrong with saying you think 2+2 isn't doing a v good job in a certain aspect or that another way may be better?

GoT

beset7
11-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Well, the discussion part seemed fine to me and the blasting 2+2 part I didn't care about especially. He and others do this frequently.

But the post that that made me think I should lock the thread was when he started talking about how his advice on PLO8b alone was worth all a small stakes players monthly rakeback and this is how he does at his forum, etc. He never posted his url or affiliate code but his web site is listed in the FAQ (he has some free Omaha8 strategy advice on his web site).

It seemed like advertising to me at the time but perhaps it was out of line, especially consider his url is listed in the FAQ and is commonly visited by small stakes PLO8 players.

Mat Sklansky
11-13-2005, 02:17 PM
i agree with your decision. It sounds like cleverly disguised advertising