PDA

View Full Version : WPT "special" shows- I didn't bother

Easy E
06-23-2003, 10:59 AM
The first one, the Poker Primer show, didn't seem that bad for new players. I didn't watch much of it (no real urge, had other tasks to do). Was the history section any good, or was it too brief?
Lou Diamond Phillips seemed okay (maybe auditioning a VVP replacement??!?! One can dream...). One problem that I had with it- seemed like an excuse to reshow clips from the season.
The advice didn't seem all that impressive, but for rank beginners I guess it would help.

The second one, the recap show, I came in late for.... just in time to hear another STUPID Vince comment "there isn't anything else to do in Finland" (i believe).
Okay, Vince, I'm going to try to be calm about this. Poker is an international game. The World Poker Tour, by defintion and execution, shows international tournaments and represents poker on an international stage.
What we do NOT need, as poker explodes and as we face battles (in the US) over online poker, is the "rude ignorant American" stereotype being an impediment. If you are coming back for next season, PLEASE spend more time thinking about what it is you are saying and how that could come across.
The WPT is a great leap in poker on television- I look forward to one of its effects (the WSOP cameras during ESPN's 7-day show of WSOP 2003). Don't dilute it, Vince! Adding excitement and "humor" is one thing, insulting diatribes are another. You're supposed to be a professional- start acting like one.

sorry, back to the topic:
I kind of liked the stage they had for the WPT review show. Mike seemed a little stiff for this broadcast- not sure why... but I only saw part of the show, since I assumed that there wasn't much for me to see (plus, running into Vince's comment turned me off again).

Not that I was surprised, but I didn't see any mention of Luis' "problems" post-WPT.. Vince, where were you on THAT one?

I should have a long review of the WPT Championship show for all of my groupies later this week.

Inthacup
06-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Vince has managed to make offensive comments to just about every ethnic and racially diverse group that has made it to the final table. But he's transcended those groups and managed to offend a person from virtually EVERY age group, race, gender and social status. He cracked on Dan Coupal(PPM) with the Rounders comment. He cracked on an older guy cause he looked like the fish in a home game. He said Maureen Feduniak(PPM) "doesn't even look like a poker player". He's called Mike Sexton ugly, to his face(Aviation Club). I agree that he's going to come across as the "rude American" to foreigners. But c'mon, we hate him too!

mike l.
06-23-2003, 04:50 PM
it was a pretty bad 3 hours. the primer really was just clips from previous episodes mainly. it's not going to be very useful to the general new player to teach them how to play no limit tournament hold em. stupid.

as for the preview show or whatever it was it was silly and boring.

mike l.
06-24-2003, 12:13 AM
"He cracked on Dan Coupal(PPM) with the Rounders comment."

i thought that was funny. that arrogant little pretty boy deserved it. did you hear him saying how awful everyone else is, and then he goes and limps 6 handed limit hold em w/ JJ? lol at vvp's comment on that kid, i loved it.

btw, i heard sexton say something really stupid the other night. someone was drawing to 22 with only 2 outs to hit a set and win. so sexton says "he needs to hit either the two or the other two."

TimTimSalabim
06-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Highlights of the show:

Spelling of "San Fransisco" (who edits this show? Oh, I get it, no one)

Promised top 5 "blunders" turned out to be the 5 worst all-in beats (not exactly what I call "blunders")

Promised hot tips from the experts ("read some books, then practice a lot"). Man, they're giving out secrets like that for free?

Inthacup
06-24-2003, 01:18 AM
and then he goes and limps 6 handed limit hold em w/ JJ?

This is what I thought too. Then I read the PPM thread on RGP. This is Dan's defense (http://www.recpoker.com/article.php?gID=1&ID=174301). There's really NO excuse for not raising, but his clarification makes the play and the comments understandable.

mike l.
06-24-2003, 04:29 AM
hey thanks for that. poor kid, that mistake will probably haunt him for quite awhile.