PDA

View Full Version : ethics question

blufish
11-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Tournament play. Player in front of you pushes, folds out to you. You turn your cards over to expose them prior to stating your intentions to get a reaction.
Unethical?
Against the rules?
or ok?
Or quite possibly a dumb question, but I saw this happen and wondered.

KneeCo
11-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Used to be fairly common as I understand it, more recently it's against the rules in most places (incl. the WSOP).

Hellmuth was speaking against the rules during the Final Table broadcast, saying it was one of his favorite moves in the day (because he can see your soul bla bla bla).

11-12-2005, 10:20 PM
I know the rule at the WSOP is if you expose your cards and then put MORE money in the pot afterwards, then you get a 10 min penalty. But if you fold, you are just given a warning and the next time you get a penalty no matter what. Weird, but it's how they do it.

Exitonly
11-12-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unethical !
Against the rules !

[/ QUOTE ]

odiggity
11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
i saw the move on a old broadcast of the main event, and i did it at a tourney at a bar thinking there was nothing wrong, but the guy directing it told me that they play where the hand is dead. i remember thinking that if it was ok at the wsop this guy was wrong. thanks for updating me on the status of the rule. im not so sure that its unethical or unfair, yet i suppose everyone has to make up their own mind about it. helmuth may have a point.

MeanGreenTT
11-12-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unethical !
Against the rules !

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 for 2 ain't bad, but the Eagles sang it best /images/graemlins/grin.gif