PDA

View Full Version : Semi-common situation with K7s

istewart
11-12-2005, 06:51 PM
5-handed $1/2.

CO posts a blind. Folded to him and he checks. He's unknown to me.

Folded to me in the SB and I raise K /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. BB folds and CO calls.

Flop K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet and he raises. I call with no real plan for the hand.

I'm fairly sure I should've 3-bet here, what do you think? If you had just called like I did, what is your plan for the hand?

milesdyson
11-12-2005, 07:02 PM
check/call twice (what i would do), or check/call and bet the river.

3-betting the flop is an option, but i'd rather get to a showdown here against an unknown. i think i'd just complete preflop, too.

11-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Ugh.. horrible board.

I like the flop call.

I bet\fold the turn.

Shillx
11-12-2005, 07:06 PM
3-bet the flop and run and hide if he caps. Nice play until then.

Aaron W.
11-12-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5-handed $1/2.

CO posts a blind. Folded to him and he checks. He's unknown to me.

Folded to me in the SB and I raise K /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif. BB folds and CO calls.

Flop K /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I bet and he raises. I call with no real plan for the hand.

I'm fairly sure I should've 3-bet here, what do you think? If you had just called like I did, what is your plan for the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the raise. Check-call the turn, bet-fold the river unless a scare card has fallen, then check-call the river. I'd like to know if he's willing to bet on the end when it's scary.

11-12-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3-bet the flop and run and hide if he caps. Nice play until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm villian, I'm capping just about any hand worth raising.

EDIT to say: I call the flop call for this reason and I don't like any plan that involves giving villian a free card.

ChuckyB
11-12-2005, 07:43 PM
3-Bet with your top pair. If he caps you can fold there or fold on the turn if you don't hit the 7. Even if you do hit the 7, he may have flopped a straight.

Too many players will raise a flush draw here, so I like the 3-bet. If he's got 2-pair, he'll usually let you know by capping.

If he calls the three bet and there's no heart, J or T on the turn, fire at him.

ArturiusX
11-12-2005, 07:44 PM
His raise commits him to a showdown, so lets get money in.

irishpint
11-12-2005, 08:06 PM
heads up w/ TP=3bet

ajm36
11-12-2005, 08:38 PM
I 3-bet this every time HU--he could have you beat, or he could be trying to determine hand strengh. If he caps, check and call down--this may be lame, but if he's willing to cap, he may have something like AK, or two pair.

ajm36
11-12-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Call the raise. Check-call the turn, bet-fold the river unless a scare card has fallen, then check-call the river. I'd like to know if he's willing to bet on the end when it's scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet/fold the river after check/calling the turn. If you're going to put a bet in on the river anyway, don't you want to showdown? I'm just asking--not being a jerk.

Aaron W.
11-12-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why bet/fold the river after check/calling the turn. If you're going to put a bet in on the river anyway, don't you want to showdown? I'm just asking--not being a jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because poker is not about getting to the showdown.

It would be very hard for him to raise a river donk on a non-scare card unless he has a very good hand. A "very good hand" includes things such as kings that outkick us (be aware of the cards that fell, because some combinations give you chops and you would be better check-calling those). There are a wide range of players who will bet/raise the flop and turn but check behind on the river with medium-strong hands (like a pair of queens), and I want those players to pay off a bet rather than take a free showdown.

This is villain's first hand, so you're trying to develop a read without sacrificing lots of EV.

rafct
11-12-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would be very hard for him to raise a river donk on a non-scare card unless he has a very good hand. A "very good hand" includes things such as kings that outkick us (be aware of the cards that fell, because some combinations give you chops and you would be better check-calling those). There are a wide range of players who will bet/raise the flop and turn but check behind on the river with medium-strong hands (like a pair of queens), and I want those players to pay off a bet rather than take a free showdown.

This is villain's first hand, so you're trying to develop a read without sacrificing lots of EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHile I really like this line for this kind of situation, I get worried about not having a read for the opponent, and if he is somewhat maniac/bluffer his river raise can cost us the whole pot. Maybe it is acceptable to bet/call?