PDA

View Full Version : why berating people is bad

pfkaok
11-12-2005, 06:13 PM
this is from my other post explaining why i called out elcheapo for berating:

so anyways. i called him out for a reason. and it goes beyond just his simple insults at the table. first of all, he was increadibly stubborn and childish in a thread of mine a while back. so as soon as i saw the name, i remembered that he was a total dueche. i felt after his behavior he deserved to be shown how badly he behaved. i a VERY uncontoversial person at most times, however certain things to provoke me enough to get pissed about. berating people at the table by a 2p2er is one of them. (unfairness, bias and strong prejudices are a few others) basically it just bothers me a lot that a "good" player, sometimes even a pro will act in such a childish, and unprofessional manner at the table. most professionals could not act that way. in doyle's "wisdom of a poker champ" book he talks about how much he detests table coaches. he mentions how a pro was insulting a player across the table for being "such an idiot" for drawing to that str8 (or whatever it was). the man was actually a doctor, and later when the berating pro collapsed from a chest pain, how horrible would it have been for the doctor to say "c'mon. of course its not a heart attack. its just heartburn you moron.". most doctors would be ashamed if they heard another doctor speak to a victim, or patient that way. i'm a pro poker player. i'm ashamed when another "pro" acts in such a way. its bad for poker. its bad for me. and its bad for any pro, or any other person who likes to play poker a lot. obviously these people are immature, and usually very insecure, so the feel the need to inflate the ego from time to time at others' expense. its really a shame though that they can't just enjoy the fact that they get to make money by playing a game. not many people get to do that.

11-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Berating people at the table, to me, is bad because it wakes people up to their poor play and it gets them to thinking about better positions. If a guy is going to chase a four outer and hit it on you for a somewhat large pot he'll be tempted to do it again and odds are he's going to be folding on the river pot committed with his king high when you have aces up. If you berate him he might not fish for straights because of your comments.

Melchiades
11-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Also one of the reasons fish is willing to keep deposting is that they enjoy playing poker. Very few enjoy being berated. Keep everyone happy, and the keep coming back.

elcheapo
11-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Get over it. I was pissed that I was knocked and let off some steam without being insulting and I get called childish and a douche. Get over whatever hangs up you have and let somebody get pissed off when they lose critical favored hands down the stretch. I didn't talk about your manhood or call you names. I just made a couple stupid comments after you sucked out on me twice in a row.

elcheapo
11-12-2005, 08:00 PM
good response, thanks for bashing me twice and then running away. And I'm the child.

miajag81
11-12-2005, 08:03 PM
http://jakee.shackspace.com/waaahmbulance.jpg

nath
11-12-2005, 08:05 PM
i've been doing this too much lately. but i've also taken beats i can see coming and it feels really frustrating. been running very badly in the last week and it's getting to me. gotta keep heart and play my best, so i tell myself. doing it has been harder.