[13:24] diablo: 6) you get to bang single moms
[13:24] diablo: 7) you get summers off to travel
[13:24] diablo: 8 ) you hvae lots of money from poker
[13:24] diablo: 9) you are the only teacher w/ that kind of money
[13:25] diablo: 10 ) thus coming back to 5 and 6
[13:25] diablo: 11) and making your vacations rule

Homer
11-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately, he won't be working with hot 20-something chicks, assuming he'd be teaching physics/science.

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, he won't be working with hot 20-something chicks, assuming he'd be teaching physics/science.

[/ QUOTE ]

Teacher's lounge, baby.

Rootabager
11-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I am about to student teach in the fall. It's pretty nice job. You only work 175 days a year which is nice. Young teachers are pretty hot from what I have seen. And it's pretty fun work. You dont make much money but if your making a ton playing poker it doesnt matter.

Homer
11-12-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Teacher's lounge, baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen any hot 20-something teachers at my school in the teacher's lounge. Hopefully, he'll have better luck.

KaneKungFu123
11-12-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[13:23] daryn: i need something new to do in life
[13:23] daryn: what do you think about becoming a teacher

[13:23] diablo: man
[13:23] diablo: being a teacher
[13:23] diablo: and playing poker
[13:23] diablo: that would be [censored] THE LIFE
[13:23] diablo: benefits

[13:24] diablo: 1) you do something good
[13:24] diablo: 2) you do something fulfilling
[13:24] diablo: 3) you help kids
[13:24] diablo: 4) you work w/ lots of hot 20-something chicks
[13:24] diablo: 5) you get to bang these teachers

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you under estimate how much work goes into being a teacher, especially science teacher. plus he cant play poker in the classroom. plus the pay sucks. i think hed be better off just volunteering so he could teach without the commitment and beuracracy(sp).

youre getting laid angle is pretty weak. he'd be better off teaching english to japan girls with crooked teeth.

tdarko
11-12-2005, 05:39 PM
i guess it depends what grade, most of my friends became teachers and though all of them got into it for all of the right reasons and continue to be in it for the right reasons they all say the spoiled, bratty or uncontrollable kids sometimes ruin the experience.

teachers are freaks, you are correct with that.

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[13:23] daryn: i need something new to do in life
[13:23] daryn: what do you think about becoming a teacher

[13:23] diablo: man

[13:24] diablo: 1) you do something good

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you under estimate how much work goes into being a teacher, especially science teacher. plus he cant play poker in the classroom. plus the pay sucks. i think hed be better off just volunteering so he could teach without the commitment and beuracracy(sp).

youre getting laid angle is pretty weak. he'd be better off teaching english to japan girls with crooked teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I do not underestimate that. I know many teachers, all of whom work very hard for very little money.

2) Of course the pay sucks. That is why many talented people choose to do things other than teach. Daryn, however, can make as much as in many higher-paid professional jobs that might be much less fulfilling for him by playing some poker on the side.

3) The getting laid thing is just a side benefit for daryn, not the reason he would do this.

theBruiser500
11-12-2005, 05:40 PM
i bet the amount of a work a teacher puts in depends on a lot on the teacher, and the teacher can put in as little or as much as they want. plus whatever work it is, is flexible hours

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i guess it depends what grade, most of my friends became teachers and though all of them got into it for all of the right reasons and continue to be in it for the right reasons they all say the spoiled, bratty or uncontrollable kids sometimes ruin the experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, type of school, location, grade level, all this stuff can contribute to very different teaching experiences. I have friends who have taught younger/older, public/private, etc., and their experiences vary widely.

Homer
11-12-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poiled, bratty or uncontrollable kids sometimes ruin the experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right. If you're not already a jaded prick, you will be after teaching for a couple years.

tdarko
11-12-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is actually correct. all my friends are boring cause all they do is frickin' grade papers and have to wake up early etc.

best bet is to be something like a college english professor. my college english professor's were remarkable and yet they put little time into the class and obviously college hours are better than HS and MS hours.

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Teacher's lounge, baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen any hot 20-something teachers at my school in the teacher's lounge. Hopefully, he'll have better luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a lot of friends who are teachers and a lot of them (and their friends) have been hot, young women. This is based on experience in Texas and California. YMMV elsewhere.

I have also met some hot young teachers at bars and stuff. They really like to party.

Also, don't forget about the chicks in programs like TFA that will want to bang daryn!

zephed
11-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Yeah, he probably won't have much time, especially in his first couple of years.

private joker
11-12-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am about to student teach in the fall. ... if your making a ton ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-oh. Lemme guess: public school.

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this is actually correct. all my friends are boring cause all they do is frickin' grade papers and have to wake up early etc.

best bet is to be something like a college english professor. my college english professor's were remarkable and yet they put little time into the class and obviously college hours are better than HS and MS hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, get some good TAs to do all the work.

In this case, it would be important for daryn to check out the ethics policies in place to make sure it is a school where it is ok for him to bang students who are not in his class.

daryn
11-12-2005, 05:45 PM
i like the professor angle, but that involves getting a phd.. a daunting task

chuddo
he is going to be teaching dodgeball and making fat kids run laps. no need for proper spelling.

scotty34
The hotness factor will really vary. Make sure to check that out before choosing a school. On the plus side, I'm in university now, and a ton of hot girls I know are going into the education program.

goofball
11-12-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Plus you are usually expected to do things besides teach, like make discoveries.

tdarko
11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
i like the college idea way better too cause...HIGH SCHOOL IS BORRRRRINGG!!!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MEbenhoe
11-12-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can be a professor with just a masters, depending on the college.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 05:50 PM
You don't get to pick your schools either, and many teaching systems have you basically with no benefits for a long time and shuffled around to the worst, most dangerous and hopeless schools for a long time, too.

If you could pick your school and stay stuck in it, it would be a lot better than having to work one day or week in one place, one in the next, and spend your first few years in babysitting warehouses where the kids are all hopeless and nobody cares.

Especially here in California, where a major, sometimes pretty much only qualification for being a teacher in the past has been the ability to speak Spanish. You aren't necessarily getting a lot of well trained and hopefully passably smart teachers to mingle with, or cute ones.

goofball
11-12-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea, get some good TAs to do all the work.

In this case, it would be important for daryn to check out the ethics policies in place to make sure it is a school where it is ok for him to bang students who are not in his class.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a TA it was "frowned upon" to date students that were in your class but not stricktly forbidden.

Randy_Refeld
11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can be a professor with just a masters, depending on the college.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think these are far and few between. There are quite a few opportunities to be an instructor at a university without a PhD. I know you CAN be a prof without one, but I only remember seeing one while I was in school (60 year old English prof with no PhD).

Sooga
11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
In the two high schools I've taught at so far in my brief career, I can count the number of hot teachers on the faculty on 1 finger.

Evan
11-12-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My BC Calc teacher in high school was pretty hot. Not science, but close.

MikeNaked
11-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I chose this career path.

[ QUOTE ]
diablo: 1) you do something good

[/ QUOTE ]

All three of these points say the same thing. Regardless, a critical positive for taking on the job. Nothing better than to look around you after a good day or year and say, "Damn, this year I've helped hundreds of kids."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, not quite. There's usually a couple of cute ones per building but chances are they're all married. But if you don't mind banging married women...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. This is way more likely than a hot teacher. Lotsa vibes at parent conferences fly. My friend is now dating his former student's Mom. (She has 5 kids though...eww....).

The downside of this is that now you have to deal an awkward situation with the Mom's son or daughter.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely huge. Where else do you get 3 months off? Don't forget winter and spring breaks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hallelujah!

Two points you missed:
1) The benefits: insurance, retirement, plus, plus...

2) Chicks like teachers.

3) Another poster mentioned that you could work as much as you wanted. Agreed, this is true, especially if you have a slack administration. But, if you have any shred of conscience, you will work your ass off. You will put in 70+ hours a week often during the year. It is a mentally and psychologically-taxing job and expect your poker playing to suffer from September to June.

Overall, I recommend it.

Malachii
11-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Being a high school teacher would suck. You have to wake up at an ungodly hour every day, have to deal with bratty kids, and there probably aren't very many hot chicks on the faculty. Being a professor at a college, now that is where it's at...

Blarg
11-12-2005, 06:18 PM
That's how I think of it. At high school, the students are there because they have to be, and it often shows. In college, a lot of the kids are excited to be there, and even if they're not, they're trying hard to get good grades. Both beat pre-college schooling, where basically the kids are being warehoused so they don't go around shoplifting all day long.

Isura
11-12-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Daunting but rewarding in many ways (even if you never work as a prof afterwords).

Sooga
11-12-2005, 06:23 PM
When I first started teaching, I planned on getting a Master's degree or PH.D. and teaching at least at a community college, but now that I've taught high school for 3 years, I don't know if I want to do that... college seems so much more impersonal, and harder to really get to know the students. Plus in high school, teachers can still play a fairly big role in influencing a student's life, whereas by the time someone gets to college, they usually have a good idea about where their life is headed.

chas19
11-12-2005, 06:32 PM
I teach in a public school and enjoy it a great deal. Most of the positives and negatives have been addressed -- doing something meaningful in life vs. making money boils it down pretty good. Vacation, however, is something of a double edged sword. Summers off (2 months not 3) is great, however, the time of your vactions will always be choosen by someone else and these will coincide with times when many other people are also on vacation. Picking a few off peak days to visit Vegas, Disneyland, whatever is not an option, nor is taking long weekends unless they're national holidays. I'm not complaining, it's still lots of vacation time, just pointing out an often over looked fact.
Hot co-workers? Meh. Maybe in elementary schools.

IndieMatty
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, type of school, location, grade level, all this stuff can contribute to very different teaching experiences. I have friends who have taught younger/older, public/private, etc., and their experiences vary widely.

[/ QUOTE ]

My father was a teacher for 25 years, my brother teaches in the same school. I think the only thing that has kept me from that path is the fact that I want to do something different.

It's not a bad life, although my pop had to have a second job. Poker would substitute nicely.

daryn
11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't get to pick your schools either, and many teaching systems have you basically with no benefits for a long time and shuffled around to the worst, most dangerous and hopeless schools for a long time, too.

If you could pick your school and stay stuck in it, it would be a lot better than having to work one day or week in one place, one in the next, and spend your first few years in babysitting warehouses where the kids are all hopeless and nobody cares.

Especially here in California, where a major, sometimes pretty much only qualification for being a teacher in the past has been the ability to speak Spanish. You aren't necessarily getting a lot of well trained and hopefully passably smart teachers to mingle with, or cute ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally smarter and you have to have a masters degree to teach

11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
Article: How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million (http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_1_how_i_joined.html)

Good times, good times.

KaneKungFu123
11-12-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally smarter and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

you need a masters degree to teach highschool math?

KDawgCometh
11-12-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

which means more time to have fun in college before you hit the real world.

Teaching a great profession, and if I had more patience with groups of people, I'd try to get into it. College is the way to go though. THe ones that want to be at class will be, and teh ones who don't will be skipping it. You will also get to bang legal age girls, and be that cool guy they hooked up with. No attachments, no worries

daryn
11-12-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

11-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Daryn, you're mistaken. In Massachusetts (I taught at Weymouth and Brookline HS before selling out and joining the financial world) you don't need a masters to start teaching. You need to *start* the process of getting a masters within five years of starting teaching. Thus, you can just start taking classes during your fifth year and not get your masters until your eighth year, I believe.

IMHO, you will not gain the intangible benefits if you don't put time into it. You can do it working from maybe 7am-6pm 5 days a week, 180 days a year. That's not awful, but you can't do it half-assed. PM me if you have specific questions.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that as a first year teaching in Weymouth making 33k/year, I had the highest total salary in the district. And I also think that we graduated from the same college, if you're seriously thinking about this, PM me.

Homer
11-12-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Article: How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million (http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_1_how_i_joined.html)

Good times, good times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great article.

Jack of Arcades
11-12-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, wrong. I'm currently in school now to become a teacher (Secondary Education major). In your last semester before your bachelor's you student teach and then you can go out and get a job. Plenty of my student teachers were teaching their own class at the same school within two years.

Maybe you need a masters *math* degree, but if you have a bachelor's in sec. ed-math, you can get a job.

daryn
11-12-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In Massachusetts (I taught at Weymouth and Brookline HS before selling out and joining the financial world) you don't need a masters to start teaching. You need to *start* the process of getting a masters within five years of starting teaching. Thus, you can just start taking classes during your fifth year and not get your masters until your eighth year, I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am fully aware of this... but eventually you need that joint.

daryn
11-12-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, wrong. I'm currently in school now to become a teacher (Secondary Education major). In your last semester before your bachelor's you student teach and then you can go out and get a job. Plenty of my student teachers were teaching their own class at the same school within two years.

Maybe you need a masters *math* degree, but if you have a bachelor's in sec. ed-math, you can get a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you in massachusetts? if no, STFU

KaneKungFu123
11-12-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious, did your parents pay for your college?

daryn
11-12-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we just about split it

initially it was mostly them, but as poker entered the equation i started paying and even hit them with a lot of cash after graduation

Jack of Arcades
11-12-2005, 08:04 PM
I was responding to:

"you need a masters degree to teach highschool math?"
"yes"

I'm sure you could get a job in a neighboring state fairly easily. rhode island for one is a big recruiter of new teachers.

KaneKungFu123
11-12-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we just about split it

initially it was mostly them, but as poker entered the equation i started paying and even hit them with a lot of cash after graduation

[/ QUOTE ]

have you taken care of your tuition from poker? i believe you went to MIT?

if 33k was the highest starting salary, its gonna be rough wont it?

Jack of Arcades
11-12-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd need to get certified, though. I'm not quite sure of the certification process for people without education degrees.

KaneKungFu123
11-12-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you'd need to get certified, though. I'm not quite sure of the certification process for people without education degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is what i could never stand to be a teacher: all these strict rules and general bs. An education degree? That sounds like a complete waste of time. The procedure for being a teacher is too mechanical. I think that all of this nonsense weeds out all of the creative people.

MikeNaked
11-12-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here is what i could never stand to be a teacher: all these strict rules and general bs. An education degree? That sounds like a complete waste of time. The procedure for being a teacher is too mechanical. I think that all of this nonsense weeds out all of the creative people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, sounds like you thought a great deal about this. Please tell - what is the "procedure for being a teacher" and how is it "mechanical?"

Jack of Arcades
11-12-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that it's the exact opposite. Teachers that only have a general studies degree teach mechanically with straight lectures.

peterchi
11-12-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to echo

My gf and I broke up because she started her first year of teaching. She doesn't do anything besides work, and she had no time to even THINK about me, much less pay me any attention.

Your other source of income will definitely suffer during the schoolyear. But it might be a nice change of pace, if you are prepared for the commitment. She absolutely loves her job even though it wears her out and broke us up.

Homer
11-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't think this career is for daryn. Of course, I've never met him, so I'm only going with my read from the tone of his posts. I think he would quickly tire of the dimwitted and their neverending bs excuses. I could see him liking it if he got some good classes (honors/AP physics), but that isn't likely to happen initially.

TimM
11-12-2005, 09:02 PM
My friend teaches in a private school. I think this would be a better choice than public school for a poker player looking for something to do. Parents are paying a lot of money for private school, so their families are well off and you don't get problem kids like you would in public school. No masters or certification needed, though many of the teachers have them anyway.

I thought about this for myself but my main concern is having to wake up early. It would be very hard for me for this reason alone.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 09:11 PM
That's how I see teaching from my completely uninformed perspective. I've taught some things, like martial arts and computer software, but never school. Anyway, teaching someone who is really into it is a joy, and teaching people who don't give a damn and don't even try, think the subject completely sucks, or are only there because they have to be, well ... ugh. Really a downer, especially when you really want to help them learn and make it a good experience. And all they bring to it is a bad attitude. It seems like either the best or the worst job in the world, depending on who you've got and how much control you have.

Me, I don't think I could possibly find teaching rewarding if I couldn't give people bad grades and let them know I meant business. And I wouldn't want to teach people anything I didn't care if they wound up knowing at the end.

daryn
11-12-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we just about split it

[/ QUOTE ]

have you taken care of your tuition from poker? i believe you went to MIT?

if 33k was the highest starting salary, its gonna be rough wont it?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm, i went to cheap state school, umass. salary is really not an issue as i will likely make more playing poker part time anyway.

TimM
11-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Convo with my private school teaching friend:

Me: "started teaching HS math in the fall (taking a 1/3 pay cut in the process) and hate that as well. I teach the lowest level classes in a bad school district. My students (10th and 11th grade) don't know that 1.5*10 = 15, 1/2 = 0.5, etc." ( link (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=1577806&page=0&vc=1) )
Me: Do you get stuff like this?
Him: yuck
Him: my kids are much stronger
Him: some very smart
Him: different sections
Him: "A" class very sharp

He did tell me a story about a girl who submitted something identical to someone elses work, but stuff like that will happen anywhere.

daryn
11-12-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i agree with you in general about this

daryn
11-12-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this career is for daryn. Of course, I've never met him, so I'm only going with my read from the tone of his posts. I think he would quickly tire of the dimwitted and their neverending bs excuses. I could see him liking it if he got some good classes (honors/AP physics), but that isn't likely to happen initially.

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. i always picture myself in a class full of smart kids who want to learn about physics. i also know that this situation is completely ideal and not customary

MikeNaked
11-12-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, maybe you can tell us what is this 'nonsense' he's talking about....

Usually people think "good teaching" is the way they learned best in high school. There's lots to it - from curriculum to instruction to assessment to learning theory.

There's nothing stultifying about an education degree from a quality program IMO.

kurosh
11-12-2005, 09:33 PM
If you really want to be a teacher, you can teach me about poker.

Homer
11-12-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me: "started teaching HS math in the fall (taking a 1/3 pay cut in the process) and hate that as well. I teach the lowest level classes in a bad school district. My students (10th and 11th grade) don't know that 1.5*10 = 15, 1/2 = 0.5, etc."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, you sound like me. I quit my engineering job and started teaching HS math last year, taking about a 1/3 pay cut. I'm in a bad district and taught the lowest level classes last year, and stepped up only half a notch this year (all Algebra I, woohoo ). The kids are incredibly unintelligent and couldn't care less about learning. The few that do care ask ridiculous non-math questions that make we wonder where the hell they've been for the last 15 years, such as...

"What's a vowel?"

"Is Connecticut part of New York?"

When it comes to math, they're just as bad. I've spent 5 minutes with students, on more than one occasion, to explain why 1/2 of 2 is 1, why 0.8 is not the same as 8, why we do problems with negative numbers, and so on, and so on, and so on. It never ends.

My co-workers aren't much better, which astounds me. I was in the lounge with another math teacher, who was working through a worksheet before going over it with his class. On of the problems said to write a function for the series "2, 8, 32, ..." He couldn't freakin do it. Basic geometric series, ar^(n-1). And they give him Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-Calc, etc. There's another teacher (full-time sub) who couldn't pass the Praxis II in three attempts. NJ doesn't exactly set the bar very high compared to other states, either. Bah. That's enough venting.

Homer
11-12-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Me: "started teaching HS math in the fall (taking a 1/3 pay cut in the process) and hate that as well. I teach the lowest level classes in a bad school district. My students (10th and 11th grade) don't know that 1.5*10 = 15, 1/2 = 0.5, etc."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, you sound like me. I quit my engineering job and started teaching HS math last year, taking about a 1/3 pay cut. I'm in a bad district and taught the lowest level classes last year, and stepped up only half a notch this year (all Algebra I, woohoo ). The kids are incredibly unintelligent and couldn't care less about learning. The few that do care ask ridiculous non-math questions that make we wonder where the hell they've been for the last 15 years, such as...

"What's a vowel?"

"Is Connecticut part of New York?"

When it comes to math, they're just as bad. I've spent 5 minutes with students, on more than one occasion, to explain why 1/2 of 2 is 1, why 0.8 is not the same as 8, why we do problems with negative numbers, and so on, and so on, and so on. It never ends.

My co-workers aren't much better, which astounds me. I was in the lounge with another math teacher, who was working through a worksheet before going over it with his class. On of the problems said to write a function for the series "2, 8, 32, ..." He couldn't freakin do it. Basic geometric series, ar^(n-1). And they give him Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-Calc, etc. There's another teacher (full-time sub) who couldn't pass the Praxis II in three attempts. NJ doesn't exactly set the bar very high compared to other states, either. Bah. That's enough venting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how out of it I am. I didn't even realize you were quoting me when asking your friend about his job. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KaneKungFu123
11-12-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually people think "good teaching" is the way they learned best in high school. There's lots to it - from curriculum to instruction to assessment to learning theory.

There's nothing stultifying about an education degree from a quality program IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think an education degree is good if you are teaching dumb kids. if you are teaching smart kids it seems like a waste of time. all you need to do is rent 4 or 5 teacher movies and follow the inspirational techniques they use. seriously, do you go to school for 4 years to learn 'teaching format'??

Michael Davis
"That's how I think of it. At high school, the students are there because they have to be, and it often shows."

Oddly, I think is untrue at most of the good schools. Having them try hard to get grades is way overboard. Some just don't care, and that's bad. The ones that care care TOO MUCH. They obsess over grades, they challenge them, and they don't actually care about what they're learning, just about how well that little piece of paper will be able to get them that nice wellpaying job where they can be pretend kings and queens.

-Michael

TimM
[ QUOTE ]
This is how out of it I am. I didn't even realize you were quoting me when asking your friend about his job. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a reason it sounded so familiar. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I added the link to the quote because I was worried others would think I was talking about myself there, but looks like you started your reply before I finished editing.

Homer
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His post makes some sense if you are willing to take it with a grain of salt. There are definitely some teachers who don't know their subject matter, but are there anyway because they have an education degree. And there are definitely some incredibly intelligent people who would like to become teachers, but cannot because they don't have an education degree. That's a shame, because many of these people know their subject inside and out, have experience using the subject in the real world, and have original ideas for conveying the subject to students. It's a shame that the fact that they don't have an education degree is holding them back from entering the profession. Luckily, a lot of states have alternate route programs now, so it's a little easier for career changers. All that being said, having an education degree is certainly not worthless, and I don't think that's what KingKungFuMaster was saying.

daryn
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i took it was there are so many hoops you have to jump through to become a teacher, and some really qualified people might just say F it

Blarg
11-12-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"That's how I think of it. At high school, the students are there because they have to be, and it often shows."

Oddly, I think is untrue at most of the good schools. Having them try hard to get grades is way overboard. Some just don't care, and that's bad. The ones that care care TOO MUCH. They obsess over grades, they challenge them, and they don't actually care about what they're learning, just about how well that little piece of paper will be able to get them that nice wellpaying job where they can be pretend kings and queens.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

At least they're motivated. I would never look askance at that. Who cares if there's nothing cosmic behind it? I'm not sure if there really should be, anyway.

I do think one of the primary purposes and values of school is not to teach you this or that subject, but to teach you how to think, and work hard, and value working hard, at stuff where the gratification is delayed. Being able to do so is actually the blueprint for success for virtually every endeavor. It's what adult life is all about. Working hard to succeed isn't a bad thing, and is something that definitely should be learned as kids, before it really tears up your life if you don't know how to do it.

MikeNaked
11-12-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is what i could never stand to be a teacher: all these strict rules and general bs. An education degree? That sounds like a complete waste of time. The procedure for being a teacher is too mechanical. I think that all of this nonsense weeds out all of the creative people.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i took it was there are so many hoops you have to jump through to become a teacher, and some really qualified people might just say F it

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha...and I agree.

Not sure about Mass, but the way to do it is to get your teaching license (paperwork, recommendations, fingerprints, take a test or two, then wait 3 months - really not so bad) and then when you get hired by a district, they will often pay for your M.Ed.

Another thing about the education profession that is frustrating is that it does attract some schlubs that don't pull their weight and other morons who couldn't make it in the private sector due to sloth or incompetence. Oh man, I could tell you stories...

KDawgCometh
11-12-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good point. i always picture myself in a class full of smart kids who want to learn about physics. i also know that this situation is completely ideal and not customary

[/ QUOTE ]

this is probably why you would want to be a college prof. Another thing to consider is actually teaching jr high science. You can still have a life being a jr high teacher, and the requirements for teaching may not be as stringent. I have a friend back in IL who is a teacher at my old jr high, and he just has a education degree, it may be different in mass though. Of course, IIRC, you are about my age, so you still have plenty of time to do more schooling to get a masters and a phd if you want to go the college route

MikeNaked
11-12-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think an education degree is good if you are teaching dumb kids. if you are teaching smart kids it seems like a waste of time. all you need to do is rent 4 or 5 teacher movies and follow the inspirational techniques they use. seriously, do you go to school for 4 years to learn 'teaching format'??

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, M.Ed. programs are two years. Really intensive ones can be a year.

Second of all, "teaching format"??? Please... you don't know what you are talking about so

http://terror.org.pl/~pepsee/gify/rys/stfu%5B2%5D.jpg

Jack of Arcades
11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His post makes some sense if you are willing to take it with a grain of salt. There are definitely some teachers who don't know their subject matter, but are there anyway because they have an education degree. And there are definitely some incredibly intelligent people who would like to become teachers, but cannot because they don't have an education degree. That's a shame, because many of these people know their subject inside and out, have experience using the subject in the real world, and have original ideas for conveying the subject to students. It's a shame that the fact that they don't have an education degree is holding them back from entering the profession. Luckily, a lot of states have alternate route programs now, so it's a little easier for career changers. All that being said, having an education degree is certainly not worthless, and I don't think that's what KingKungFuMaster was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, I think everybody's also experience the hugely intelligent teachers that couldn't communicate their ideas to students as well.

The education program isn't just about learning how to teach. You spend tons of hours in the classroom (I spent 30 last semester alone), you learn how to work with kids, learn about common problems, etc. It's a lot about te4aching, but also a lot about everything teachers have to do that ISN'T teaching.

I agree if you're gonna teach an Honors/AP physics class that an education degree doesn't matter, because those are taught just like college courses lots of times. That's not gonna happen though.

Jack of Arcades
11-13-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, the different between a history degree and an education degree in soc studies ed is pretty small. Maybe roughly 10 classes. the Education part is like only 20 hours over 4 years.

RustedCorpse
11-13-2005, 12:41 AM
I figured this out long ago. I plan to get my PHD in english and instruct some obscure class on William Blake. Hopefully hitting it up with some "deep and insightful" co-ed who enjoy's long walks on the beach and strip beer pong

T -3 years

raisins
11-13-2005, 12:52 AM
I thought this was a good plan as well. However the competition for the top flight graduate programs that you need for a job is stiff and the publishing requirements are demanding and tedious. There's also a real shortage of jobs in the area.

But yeah, the young tenured single humanities or arts professor at a small liberal arts college has got to be one of the best combinations of job and working environment out there.

Best of luck.

raisins

rusty JEDI
11-13-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

To be honest, the different between a history degree and an education degree in soc studies ed is pretty small. Maybe roughly 10 classes. the Education part is like only 20 hours over 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in BC you must get a degree in a regular area. I have a phys.ed degree and a math minor. Once you have a degree in a teachable area (cant be some cheese ass women studies degree) you must go and get your education degree. It takes 2 more years. You can also do it in an 11 month excellerated program. This may be why BC teachers are recruited by basically everywher. Alberta which is one province over is much more like yours sounds.

You must also complete a 3 month practicum where the class is yours. Its half yours at the start and shared with your sponsor teacher, and then you get full control. This is virtually where all your useful learning is done.

rJ

NateDog
11-13-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in BC you must get a degree in a regular area. I have a phys.ed degree and a math minor. Once you have a degree in a teachable area (cant be some cheese ass women studies degree) you must go and get your education degree. It takes 2 more years. You can also do it in an 11 month excellerated program. This may be why BC teachers are recruited by basically everywher. Alberta which is one province over is much more like yours sounds.

You must also complete a 3 month practicum where the class is yours. Its half yours at the start and shared with your sponsor teacher, and then you get full control. This is virtually where all your useful learning is done.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a teacher? That's just scary.

Oh, Canada. I got it now, keep up the good work.

nothumb
11-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I think it would be better to get a master's and be a part-time college professor and teach / play poker. For so many reasons.

NT

MikeNaked
11-13-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be better to get a master's and be a part-time college professor and teach / play poker. For so many reasons.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a sweet route. I have a friend who teaches a couple calculus classes at a local CC and plays cards the remainder of the time.

DcifrThs
11-13-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends in what you would like to be awarded a PhD...any field in science is extremely rigorous. school requirements (in terms of acceptable publications) also vary widely.

beyond daunting if you're looking at physics since most easy fruit has been picked and any additional papers would have to redo older concepts which make submitting to top journals difficult or creating new works which would be even harder than submitting redone older works to top journals.

anyways, the idea in general sounds good (teaching high school etc..). summers off + money from poker + job you love = good life.

do waht you love. the money will come. if it doesn't, at least you lived doing what you loved.

Barron

numeri
11-13-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This may have already been said, but a community college is the way to go.

1) You only need a masters.
2) No pressure to publish as in a university.
3) You still get the single moms - as students.
4) Your students (generally) want to be in your class - this makes the actual teaching easier.
5) Depending on the CC, the $$$ can be very nice.

In general, I think the whole plan is a bad idea. Teachers who go in to teaching for other reasons tend to make crappy teachers. On the other hand, I think teaching is pretty sweet. The vacations are nice, but only a side benefit. I actually enjoy going to work (most days). Not everyone can say that.

Blarg
11-13-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Learning Annex!

Seriously though, I think you're right. A part-time job would be fine for a capable poker player, and it would leave him with time to do pure charity work, which I would think might be even more rewarding than the typical teaching job. At any rate you'd always have something going that you felt good about, and extra time to do other things you might have an especially intense passion for. And still have energy left over for poker. Heck, probably more energy.

Eurotrash
11-13-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I figured this out long ago. I plan to get my PHD in english and instruct some obscure class on William Blake. Hopefully hitting it up with some "deep and insightful" co-ed who enjoy's long walks on the beach and strip beer pong

T -3 years

[/ QUOTE ]

um, if this actually happens can you PM me the number of your current girlfriend? she's going to need some consoling.

rusty JEDI
11-13-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, take it easy on me. I said i do P.E. and Math.

Im also holding those "excellerate your breath" comercials responsible.

rJ

wmspringer
11-13-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No masters or certification needed, though many of the teachers have them anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

From experience, I can tell you that many private schools now prefer teachers to have certification, even though they're not required to.

Gotta be easier than teaching public school though..

rusty JEDI
11-14-2005, 02:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, take it easy on me. I said i do P.E. and Math.

Im also holding those "excellerate your breath" commercials responsible.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

BoogerFace
11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally better educated and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

samjjones
11-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Actually a good idea. Teaching is a very rewarding job...and the hours/schedule are pretty great. You can really work on your golf game in the summer. The only downside is the pay, and if that is not a factor, it is definitely something to look into. Plus, if you enjoy sports, you can coach, which sounds like fun.

Reef
11-14-2005, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just described my life. Finishing up the college part, but ya..

Reef
11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is massachusetts where people are generally better educated and you have to have a masters degree to teach

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

being better educated does not make one a better teacher necessarily. Heck, I'm a better teacher in terms of having my students understand the material than many professors (I'm getting certified soon and I work as a tutor). The professors may be more knowledgable in the subject area, but it doesn't mean they're good at teaching it.

BeerMoney
11-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I recommended to poster Mike Emery the same thing. Being a teacher overall is good work.

Also, he could get a master's degree in math and teach at a lot of colleges.

BeerMoney
11-14-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

being better educated does not make one a better teacher necessarily. Heck, I'm a better teacher in terms of having my students understand the material than many professors (I'm getting certified soon and I work as a tutor). The professors may be more knowledgable in the subject area, but it doesn't mean they're good at teaching it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, if you had more knowledge, you'd be a better teacher. Its a fact.

Reef
11-14-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to have a PhD to be a great teacher. It's also possible for a BA grad to be a better teacher than a PhD holder. I'd rather not elaborate.

daryn
11-14-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to have a PhD to be a great teacher. It's also possible for a BA grad to be a better teacher than a PhD holder. I'd rather not elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think what he is saying is sailing over your head

kyro
11-14-2005, 10:53 AM
Well that's just eerie. I have been having thoughts of just scraping by through school and becoming a teacher. I would love to teach algebra-calculus.

Reef
11-14-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please go on. I'm in the process of an all nighter and am tired

daryn
11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please go on. I'm in the process of an all nighter and am tired

[/ QUOTE ]

he is basically just saying, if teaching ability is held constant, the more knowledge you have, the better teacher you will be

in other words.. you are a great teacher.. fine whatever.. but if somehow you took a pill and your knowledge doubled, surely you would become a better teacher!

Lazymeatball
11-14-2005, 10:59 AM
ok, let's spell it out. He is not arguing that the person with more education is inherently better at teaching than those who have less education. He is arguing that increasing the level of anyone's education will also increase their level of teaching ability.

basically, you have said you have good teaching abilities, if you had more education, you'd have even better teaching abilities.

Reef
11-14-2005, 11:04 AM
I see the light

Reef
11-14-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, let's spell it out. He is not arguing that the person with more education is inherently better at teaching than those who have less education. He is arguing that increasing the level of anyone's education will also increase their level of teaching ability.

basically, you have said you have good teaching abilities, if you had more education, you'd have even better teaching abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

This only goes up to a certain point, I think. If I had a PhD, it would make me no more better to teach basic algebra than if I only had a BA.

And since I'm in the majority that is not teaching past the high school level (Calc 1 at most), a math PhD doesn't seem to help make me any more qualified to teach or a better teacher than if I only had a math BA (BA requires calc 1-3 and advanced calc).

Blarg
11-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I think people are being a little more theoretical than they need to be. Your basic premise that teaching ability is by and large not directly related to how deep your knowledge of the subject is, past a certain point, is a good one. Of course, if you are teaching people stuff you don't understand yourself, you're obviously in trouble. But if you're teaching algebra, you don't need to be Einstein. And being Einstein almost certainly wouldn't even be helpful.

Having a really thorough grasp of your field would help a whole lot more if one were teaching college kids, of whom the brighter ones are very competent indeed, and need a high top end limit on where you can take them as a teacher. In high school algebra, there's only so far above the subject you're likely to need to go, and the majority of the quality of your teaching will have to do with being able to communicate what you know about things right at the class level.

edtost
11-14-2005, 02:01 PM
indeed, especially in math, some of the worst teachers are the truely brilliant - they never really had to learn, they just "got it" immediately, and are so much smarter than everyone else that they just can't grasp why we don't understand.

daryn
11-14-2005, 02:05 PM
i am now thinking of persuing some graduate math degree, thoughts? jason t?

how much work is it? i hate work.

Eurotrash
11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thoughts? jason t?

[/ QUOTE ]

you have to put up the jason_t signal

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/1518/jasontea4sq.jpg

Maulik
11-16-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is highly dependent upon the school you school to pursue your degree at.

Blarg
11-16-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
indeed, especially in math, some of the worst teachers are the truely brilliant - they never really had to learn, they just "got it" immediately, and are so much smarter than everyone else that they just can't grasp why we don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. As someone who has taught many people software programs, I've seen that most people have a sticking point or two -- or 50. It seems almost random where that sticking point might be, and it's not necessarily at the hard stuff either. Trying to communicate well so you can help people past the stuff that's unnecessarily slowing them down is a gigantic part of teaching well, and that depends to a great deal on your ability to listen very very well, to speak well, to understand people, to think of alternative ways to approach the same subject, and even time the learning of tricky concepts to when a person is not as flustered or overwhelmed. None of those have a thing to do with how well you know your subject. And they're vital and come up again and again. They absolutely come up with the brightest students as well as the slowest, too.

And there definitely are people to whom a subject comes so easily that they're completely at a loss as to how to explain it well. Math savants definitely fall into that category a lot.

jason_t
11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry to break the news that it is an insane amount of work. But, it's extremely rewarding.

jason_t
11-17-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is highly dependent upon the school you school to pursue your degree at.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not.

daryn
11-17-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry to break the news that it is an insane amount of work. But, it's extremely rewarding.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, fuckit

xorbie
11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now that this thread has been bumped.. have you done any research into what it takes to teach high school in MA? im thinking of doing this for a few years after college before going off to grad school.

daryn
11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
yeah here's the gist of it

you basically have to take a few tests.. one in your subject that you want to teach, and one in general literacy/competence or something like that.. then you are "certified" i think.. then you can get a job. i hear that within 5 years of getting the job you have to have started the process of getting masters degree

kyro
11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
I really think I would get a kick out of teaching some basic algebra-precalculus classes. I've been told you don't exactly need to graduate from a top school with a 3.8...which is a good thing because i'm well on my way to being a college dropout /images/graemlins/frown.gif