PDA

View Full Version : The Rookie

04-01-2002, 04:05 AM
Not a movie that's going to go down in history as one of the "great films." But if you see it and don't have tears in your eyes about ten times before it's over, well, you need to get in touch with your heart. Loved it.

04-01-2002, 02:25 PM
This piece of Hollywood tripe threw up every cliche in the book. After watching it, I then proceeded to throw up...

04-01-2002, 02:26 PM
It is based on a true story that I read about several years ago as it was unfolding. There was an interview with the player on the eve of his major league debut.

04-01-2002, 11:31 PM
your "review" is a cliche too.

04-02-2002, 06:14 AM
Here's the link to the book about it too. Just a touching, inspiring human story, touching in its simplicity, with the underdog finally realizing his dream, and recognizing what it means. To the one who said it had a lot of cliches... yes, I guess it did, but what makes something a cliche? It contains truth with which we all identify. Then it gets repeated, maybe more often than some would like. But so what. If it works, who cares if it's cliched? Baseball lovers and lovers of being human should see this movie.

04-03-2002, 02:39 AM
I read that EVERYTHING in the book actually happened, except for the one scene where he goes and throws a ball by the radar gun on the street. I haven't seen it yet, but when hardened baseball journalists like it, I think I will, too.

Josh

04-04-2002, 02:45 AM
If you liked Rudy, the Natural,Hoosiers(and the list goes on) you will like the Rookie.Its no academy award winner but a "feel good movie".Personally I loved it but then again I also liked Over the Top....