PDA

View Full Version : New Dell Computer - Video Card BLOWS Thoughts?

AZK
11-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Just got a new dell, totally pimped it out, bought a new samsung flat planel for it too...and the friggin windows skip on the video card rather than sliding. It's like there is lag in the system. I'm not talkin about lag because I'm running 1000 programs, I'm talking lag when I just have AOL up and slide IM conversations left or right? WTF gives? Monitor also came with digital or analog settings, right now it's pluged into analog bc everytime I try and attach digital cable it says searching for signal on screen. Can't figure that out either. I was planning on hooking up 2nd monitor once I took old video card out of old comp. and used it in new comp. The new dells don't have many slots in the back though so now I'm thinking about just buying a dual head video card that is way better than both and then I shouldn't experience any of this crap. Thoughts? Dual head video card ideas?

Thanks.

astroglide
11-12-2005, 03:43 PM
monitors have input settings just like televisions and receivers. most of them require that you press a button to select a different one.

do you know what the response time in ms is for your monitor?

AZK
11-12-2005, 04:05 PM
60 hertz? is that the right answer? God I am retarded.

astroglide
11-12-2005, 04:06 PM
no that's the refresh rate. response time will be listed on samsung's web site if you look up the model.

AZK
11-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I feel like the video card that came with the computer can't support the monitor? My dad says dell shipped the lowest of the low with the computer...I don't know what to do, I was going to put the other old video card in today to get the dual set up working...if this is crap though, then should I just get a new video card?

AZK
11-12-2005, 04:16 PM
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS20BRBABZ.asp (204T samsung)

Nomad84
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Fixed your link. (http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS20BRBABZ.asp)

From a quick google search, it appears that the response time is 16ms.

cracker9521
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
I didn't see if you mentioned what kind of video card you have but I dont see why the video card would be the problem unless there is a defect in it. I would attribute something like that to some bs program running in the background most likely. You can do a little troubleshooting like maybe hooking another monitor up or switching your video card with the one in the old system but I would say around 80 or 90% of the time youre dealing with a software issue. Start out with checking what you have listed in msconfig (start,run,type msconfig,startup tab)and go from there.

astroglide
11-13-2005, 05:29 PM
well it's not a laggy response time. did you get it working on dvi yet?

AZK
11-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Nope, should probably read through the dell manual...which doesnt' say much, any other way to figure it out?

_dave_
11-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Hello AZK,

I just found this pic, which I hope is the control buttons you have on your monitor. These buttons look really quite small on the photos I have seen, towards the right of the bottom edge of the screen.

Try connecting the DVI cord, and pushing the button labeled "source" - I have circled it below.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/9049/panelbuttons0gs.jpg

Hopefully this works - I know my Dell monitor won't automatically detect the digital input, I have to push the button.

Regarding the skipping windows, does it do this for all program windows, even "My Computer" if you try and drag them about? Or are some windows silky smooth, while others jump about in an unsightly manner?

If it's all of them, it is possible the driver software is not correctly loaded for your video card - WinXP default drivers can behave like this with some cards, maybe Dell forgot to install these?

Please post if you have any more clues - I hope you get it working soon.

dave.

AZK
11-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Dave,

You are the MAN. Did exactly what you said and it worked. Thank you very much.

_dave_
11-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Cool, glad you got it sorted. I am happy to help when I can.

Are both problems sorted - DVI signal & laggy windows, or just one?

dave.

astroglide
11-13-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
monitors have input settings just like televisions and receivers. most of them require that you press a button to select a different one

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

_dave_
11-13-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
monitors have input settings just like televisions and receivers. most of them require that you press a button to select a different one

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I missed that one, quickly scanning through the thread. I guess I was distracted by the refresh rate question, else I may never have posted. Good job I did miss it i suppose /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think my gfx driver suggestion was new, though.

BTW astroglide, I only occasionally check this forum, and post when I think I can help - in the last few weeks you have been providing many accurate responses to countless posts - good job, I can't comprehend how you find the time for it - much respect.

dave.

astroglide
11-13-2005, 11:06 PM
oh i was just giving AZK a friendly poke in the ribs there, not bagging on you for the extreme detail. thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AZK
11-14-2005, 01:44 AM
my bad astro...totally glanced over that comment...it helps when I have a picture and red circles pointing "HERE PRESS THIS" when it comes to computers. The funniest part about all this is that my dad is a software engineer and has brought me up with computers since I was 5. Ironic that I don't know dick about computers, he would be rolling his eyes at me.

Appreciate all the help in the thread.