PDA

View Full Version : Moneyline on the flu shot

ChipWrecked
11-12-2005, 12:58 PM
My wife got a flu shot a couple weeks ago. She was sick for two days. I didn't think much of it because she gets sick a lot anyway.

My company gave free shots last week, I had mine Wednesday. Now I'm sick.

Wife's sister is a doc, she says everybody she knows who got this year's shot has gotten sick from it.

So it's your call. Do you skip the shot, and maybe you'll get sick for a week later on, or get one, and definitely be sick for two days right now?

MrMon
11-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Wife and two kids have gotten the shot so far. No reaction. I'll get mine when they restock.

Cubswin
11-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Inductive reasoning is flawed reasoning (aka sample size too small). My work gave out the flu shot for free and id say 75% of 100 people got it. Not one of my co-workers that i know of has gotten sick because of the flu shot. The flu is a bitch... i got it bad last year and was home sick for a week. Get the shot or else dont complain when your confined to your bed /images/graemlins/wink.gif

cubs

ChipWrecked
11-12-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Inductive reasoning is flawed reasoning (aka sample size too small).

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought somebody would tell me my use of 'moneyline' was wrong. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

daryn
11-12-2005, 01:28 PM
i think i am immune to the flu, is that possible? i never have had a flu shot, and i can't remember ever having the flu.

eviljeff
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
I got my flu shot exactly 45 hours ago. thank you for ruining my weekend.

eviljeff
11-12-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think i am immune to the flu, is that possible? i never have had a flu shot, and i can't remember ever having the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

go to where people are

Cubswin
11-12-2005, 01:32 PM
I thought the same thing until last year... and I couldnt have been more wrong. It pains me just to think about the 'dry' cough i had and the muscle aches. The 103+ fever was actually one of the less annoying effects of the flu.

cubs

ChipWrecked
11-12-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe anyone could be 'immune to the flu', because the virus mutates so often and quickly. You probably have a strong immune system.

I got the shot to calm wifey's nerves about our toddler catching it from one of us. Now I'm pissed off /images/graemlins/mad.gif

astroglide
11-12-2005, 03:01 PM
i've never had the flu or a flu shot

11-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Last year, record low numbers of people recieved flu shots, there was also a record low number of cases, so they've made up this bird flu [censored] to scare everyone into getting the shots again. The only people getting bird flu are people that literally live with their poultry.

Oh yeah, and flu shots use mercury as a preservative. That's not good for you in case you didn't know.

MrMon
11-12-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe anyone could be 'immune to the flu', because the virus mutates so often and quickly. You probably have a strong immune system.

I got the shot to calm wifey's nerves about our toddler catching it from one of us. Now I'm pissed off /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's the other way around. Your toddler is more likely to give it to you, especially in they are in any sort of daycare or play group. With no immunity to flu, they pick it up quickly and bring it home.

MrMon
11-12-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last year, record low numbers of people recieved flu shots, there was also a record low number of cases, so they've made up this bird flu [censored] to scare everyone into getting the shots again. The only people getting bird flu are people that literally live with their poultry.

Oh yeah, and flu shots use mercury as a preservative. That's not good for you in case you didn't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flu shots have nothing to do with bird flu. The current flu shots do nothing to prevent bird flu. When/if bird flu mutates into a human communicable form, you'll pray for a vaccine, trust me. It'll be 6-8 weeks of total fear.

Rather than fear-mongering about mercury in flu vaccine, you might try looking for facts from experts, not people with an agenda.

CDC Q&A On Mercury and Flu Vaccine (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/thimerosal.htm)

cardcounter0
11-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, Yeah, it is perfectly safe. But for some reason ALL the drug companies got together and want to reduce or eliminate it as a "precaution". You might want to look at the rates of children becoming autistic and vacines also.

Of course, it is soooo safe, the President fought long and hard to make sure you can't sue drug companies for the damage they might do, specifically for vacinations.
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flu shots have nothing to do with bird flu. The current flu shots do nothing to prevent bird flu. When/if bird flu mutates into a human communicable form, you'll pray for a vaccine, trust me. It'll be 6-8 weeks of total fear.

Rather than fear-mongering about mercury in flu vaccine, you might try looking for facts from experts, not people with an agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell? I'm fear-mongering about mercury being dangerous while you talk about a virus that has a very small possibility of mutating to a human form causing "6-8 weeks of total fear". Sure you aren't the fearmonger here?

And why do you assume the government agency you linked to doesn't have an agenda? Don't know if you've learned this yet but government officials are capable of lying and conniving. Surprise.

As cardcounter alluded to, if thimerasol mercury is so safe, why are thimerasol free vaccines now available for a hefty price?

imported_ncray
11-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I received the flu shot weeks ago and never got sick.

mason55
11-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Maybe they're alergic to the albumen?

11-12-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they're alergic to the albumen?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some people are allergic to the neomycin and streptomycin antibiotics in vaccines.

Wouldn't be surprised if people had reactions to ethylene glycol(that's antifreeze) or formaldehyde common in vaccines either.

ChipWrecked
11-12-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's the other way around. Your toddler is more likely to give it to you, especially in they are in any sort of daycare or play group. With no immunity to flu, they pick it up quickly and bring it home.

[/ QUOTE ]

No daycare. [censored] no.

highlife
11-12-2005, 09:24 PM
there is no reason for a healthy adult under 60 to get a flu shot.

skip the shot.

11-12-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

skip the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true under current conditions (shortages of vaccine, lots of disaster in our country and people need it more than we do. Also, doctors, teachers, and students, and the like should be the ones getting them because them getting sick has more costly negative effects), the statement that there is no reason to get a flu shot is terrible.

The shot not only may prevent you from getting sick from an already popular, but non-deadly strain of the flu virus this season, but it also prevents new diseases from becoming worse and mutations and the like. The best chance for the new avian flu virus to become a pandemic is for it to be in a human system while they already have another flu which spreads from person to person more easily, and have the new virus mutate so it can spread from person to person more easily.

P.S. Infants need the shot as much as any elderly person would.

Cancer Merchant
11-12-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

skip the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

While this may be true under current conditions (shortages of vaccine, lots of disaster in our country and people need it more than we do. Also, doctors, teachers, and students, and the like should be the ones getting them because them getting sick has more costly negative effects), the statement that there is no reason to get a flu shot is terrible.

The shot not only may prevent you from getting sick from an already popular, but non-deadly strain of the flu virus this season, but it also prevents new diseases from becoming worse and mutations and the like. The best chance for the new avian flu virus to become a pandemic is for it to be in a human system while they already have another flu which spreads from person to person more easily, and have the new virus mutate so it can spread from person to person more easily.

P.S. Infants need the shot as much as any elderly person would.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, come again.

11-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Man I love getting owned when I'm stoned. Whoa, that rhimed. Damnit, that was on the edit also! I almost had it.

RustedCorpse
11-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Screw that, you are man. Man is strong. Take not the flu shot young jedi, you WTFPWN the flu. You need not this crude medicine before you, illuminus is this immune system before you.

ChipWrecked
11-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Yabbut I work for an HMO, though I try not to go to the darkside; they 'encourage' us to have them, even give them free in our cafeteria.

I feel better now.

Warik
11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i never have had a flu shot, and i can't remember ever having the flu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Flu shot is overrated unless you're an infant or over 55-60.

11-13-2005, 01:36 PM
new development on the bird flu front. i read an article which said that the reason it is so lethal (50%) is that what ends up killing you is an overreaction from your own immune system which ends up destroying ones lungs. having a strong immune system actually works against you. the old and feeble may even have a better chance at survival.

11-13-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
new development on the bird flu front. i read an article which said that the reason it is so lethal (50%) is that what ends up killing you is an overreaction from your own immune system which ends up destroying ones lungs. having a strong immune system actually works against you. the old and feeble may even have a better chance at survival.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the flu shot does nothing to protect you from the bird flu. Flu shots are old viruses that have already been seen commonly in the human system.