PDA

View Full Version : was this obvious?

11-12-2005, 11:18 AM
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, 1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, 3 folds</font>, CO calls, 1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, CO folds, SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero raises</font>, SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif(2 players)</font>
SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

Results in white below:
SB has 9c 9h (three of a kind, nines).
Hero has 5h 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: SB wins 17.50 BB. </font>

sean c
11-12-2005, 11:36 AM
If the table was loose you played the hand just fine. Never fold on the river for one bet with a set even when you know you are beat so you can't fold there. You can't fold the turn because of your boat outs and capping the flop is the only way to go.

bozlax
11-12-2005, 11:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold the turn because of your boat outs and capping the flop is the only way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you've got a read that Villan will only 3-bet the turn with a set or better and wouldn't play 87x preflop, then your boat outs on the turn are useless to you. I've never had that strong a read on somebody in micros, but I hear it can happen.

sean c
11-12-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold the turn because of your boat outs and capping the flop is the only way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you've got a read that Villan will only 3-bet the turn with a set or better and wouldn't play 87x preflop, then your boat outs on the turn are useless to you. I've never had that strong a read on somebody in micros, but I hear it can happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had that type of read either.

numeri
11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
With no reads, of course not.

Stealthy
11-12-2005, 02:52 PM
You probably got away with this as cheaply as you could. If you get the bad end of set over set you are always going to lose a ton unless you are a complete wimp.

NH

11-12-2005, 03:03 PM
a) you played it just fine
b) no it wasn't obvious. I have had a lot of sets and seem to recall that I had one beaten by a higher set
c) don't post results
d) i'm sure this has been stated already, but this is a grunchy response

ChuckyB
11-12-2005, 07:46 PM
I think your play was fine. Set over set happens so rarely...set over two pair is much better assumption.

When you realized you might be in trouble, you called and check/called. That's exactly what you have to do.

11-12-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) you played it just fine
b) no it wasn't obvious. I have had a lot of sets and seem to recall that I had one beaten by a higher set
c) don't post results
d) i'm sure this has been stated already, but this is a grunchy response

[/ QUOTE ]

This is funny--I just had another one in a session after I posted this (see the NC thread). It stings like a beyotch!

Felipe
11-12-2005, 08:16 PM
I would have capped the turn and called a 3bet on the river

turn: cap
river: he bets, i raise, he 3bets, i call

set over set is rare. If you get too scared, you miss out on money. Play for BIG money, not for avoiding losses. Play sets HARD! Don't fear set over set. And don't just say "i knew it" when he flips over a higher set. They are not common. you should reraise everytime here. Sets are rare and very profitable, you will win WELL over 50% of the time when you flop a set! You need to bet raise for value. If you lose, you lose. But you will WIN MONEY ANYWAYS! Don't slow down with a set, you'll get scared too often. I attack scared players, and get them to go weak-tight later on. Don't fall into this,play your sets hard, make BIIIIG pots. Win lots of money.