PDA

View Full Version : interesting 30-60 hand

hot tub man # 1
06-22-2003, 11:57 PM
30-60 at Hawiian Gardens. I have pocket Kings in late position and raise one limper. I'm new to the game and dont know him. SB is over aggresive and the target, he also calls.

Flop: 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

SB bets out, limper raises, and I call two cols with the intension of raising the turn if a friendly card comes off.

Turn:4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

SB bets out and limper raises, I call.

River:K /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

SB checks Limper bets, I call, SB folds.

Comments on the flop, turn and river appreciated.

34TheTruth34
06-23-2003, 12:10 PM
SB is over aggresive and the target

Everyone is the target when you have KK.

I think you're ahead the whole way. I put the limper on something like A /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif or J /forums/images/icons/club.gif T /forums/images/icons/club.gif. I think he's raising because he knows he's ahead of the weak SB and wants you to fold (but still has outs in case you do actually have the big pair). I think you have an easy raise on the river. What hands could possibly have you beat?? Only something like A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/club.gif or 76s (and they probably wouldn't limp with that in 30/60). Other than not raising the river, I think you played it fine.

And not raising the river may be right if you think you will always get a call from the SB (but he won't call a bet and a raise) and/or the limper is the type of player who will always have the straight when he bets out on the river. But since you said you didn't really know anything about him, a raise seems like the correct play.

elysium
06-23-2003, 02:45 PM
hi hot
raise river

mike l.
06-23-2003, 04:32 PM
when you just call on the flop they put you on AK or AQ. so you should reraise the turn and punish their attempts to get you to fold those hands, as well as charge flush draws the max.

this hand wouldve been better posted by skipping the river and just asking what we think you should do on the turn.

hot tub man # 1
06-24-2003, 12:15 AM
I can see Mikes argument for 3 betting the turn. I know the SB has a 10, and its almost impossible for the player in middle position to have two pair with that board. Its possible he could have had a set, but I think he probably would have just smooth called on the flop. The one hand I was afraid of was a turned straight.

So on the river, even though I was almost positive I had the best hand when I made the 3rd king, I didnt see the point to raising. If middle position didnt have the nuts, then he was almost positively on some sort of flush draw, or a pair with a straight draw. So the best chance for the extra bet seemed to be to go for the overcall from the BB, after all he did call the turn raise.

In doing this I also only lose one bet if middle position does actually have the straight.

At the end, I called, the BB folded, and middle position threw his hand into the muck before I showed my kings.

bad beetz
06-24-2003, 12:42 AM
your turn and river plays are incongruent.

if you call the turn raise then you must think you have outs on two pair. when you hit your out you don't raise the river.

technically if you are acting on some read you should:
A. fold on the turn or
B. raise the river

of course, I probably play it the same way so it's just talk.

Ezcheeze
06-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Hi Hot Tub,
You have to raise the turn here, In order for someone to have you beat they must have a set or have 67, 62, or A2 AND bet/called a gutshot on the flop(not too likely). There are way way too many other hands that they could each have that your cowboys beat. Same reasoning goes for the river except now you beat all the sets, but calling seems reasonable if you think it will draw an overcall and raising might not gain anything. Hope this helps.

"It's so easy it's cheezy!"

hot tub man # 1
06-24-2003, 10:06 PM
I see the arguments for 3 betting the turn here. However, Im surprised so few people agree with me that a call on the river is best. I understand that I am going to have the best hand here 90% of the time, but doesnt middle positions hand look a lot like a draw?

Considering the small blind is a calling staion, and he clearly has a made hand, it seems like going for the overcall is best. I think its highly unlikely that the player in middle position has a set. He raised the small blind when he bet out on the flop. I cant imagine him wanting to eliminate me with a set so early in the hand. So I figured he probably had either a small pair with a straight draw, or a flush draw. If he did have a made hand, the most logical would have had to been the nut straight, which I obviously cant beat. So since it seems he doesnt have a hand he can pay off my raise here, why would I make it 80 on the river when there is a good chance the SB will overcall out of frustration?

Pot-A
06-24-2003, 10:16 PM
I would have raised the turn. Hopefully SB is on the club draw and you can extract more from him - hell, maybe he'll have an FPS attack and reraise you.

I agree with the river call. If you raise you'll most likely lose either the pot or the competition; your chances of coming out ahead are very small.

Vincent Vega
06-24-2003, 10:33 PM
i would have 3 bet the flop. if you were behind, i think that you are certainly good on the river and a raise is in order.