PDA

View Full Version : Best Star Wars pre-Episode 4 stuff?

diebitter
11-12-2005, 09:28 AM
My kids are watching ep 3 right now, and I wondered what conventional (and by this I'm going out on a limb and meaning OOT) wisdom is on this...

Filip
11-12-2005, 09:51 AM
How can u have 4 pres to a #3 movie?

11-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Ermmm can't think of any good stuff...

11-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Your avatar is very disturbing...

diebitter
11-12-2005, 09:54 AM
clone wars was TV series that filled in between eps 2 and 3, and not a film, as such. It's still pre-episode 4 though.

jedi
11-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Revenge of the Sith, and it's not even close.

Whoever voted for The Phantom Menace should be shot.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
I haven't seen any of them. Heard 3 was pretty good, but considering that's from people who like Star Wars in the first place, I take it with a bit of a grain of salt. But I heard 2 was terrible. But to get to 3, I feel like I'd have to watch 1 and 2, in order, to know what's going on.

It all sounds kind of like too much work just to get to 3, so I haven't bothered yet.

PokerFink
11-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Doesn't ep3 win by default because ep1 and ep2 were awful?

phixxx
11-12-2005, 02:50 PM
I liked ROTS, the lightsabre fights were good. However, Anakins betrayal took about 5 minutes.

diebitter
11-12-2005, 02:50 PM
You guys need to see 'clone wars'. It's pretty darn good. If they made a live-action film of that, it would be spectacular!

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-12-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked ROTS, the lightsabre fights were good. However, Anakins betrayal took about 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just saw it last night for the first time. This was my one gripe.

jedi
11-12-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen any of them. Heard 3 was pretty good, but considering that's from people who like Star Wars in the first place, I take it with a bit of a grain of salt. But I heard 2 was terrible. But to get to 3, I feel like I'd have to watch 1 and 2, in order, to know what's going on.

It all sounds kind of like too much work just to get to 3, so I haven't bothered yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Just watch 2. It's really not that bad.

To know the important stuff of Episode 1, just read a plot summary.

11-12-2005, 03:41 PM
I had my Star Wars-fanatic son do the poll. ROTS without a doubt.

benza13
11-12-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My girlfriend hadn't seen any of them (including the original trilogy) and still loved ep 3 when I dragged her to see it. She then proceeded to fall asleep any time we tried to watch ep 1 or 2 to catch her up on the story.

evil_twin
11-12-2005, 04:04 PM
I just found that ROTS was full of obvious marketing ploys and without any convincing characterisation or dialogue at all. I sat in the cinema shaking my head and cursing. The way he turned to the dark side was such a total joke, and a perfect example of Lucas's writing ability.

ATOC was the best for me, it had a semi-complex plot with some good character acting and didn't have many segments that were blatently designed to sell merchandise. It was still relatively poor of course, just the best of a bad bunch.

Oh and as Diebitter says, the Clone Wars cartoon is excellent. It's written and directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, the man behind Samurai Jack, Dexters Lab, and the Powerpuff Girls.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 04:12 PM
The cutesy toy-sellingness of the Star Wars franchise has always tainted it for me, too. I felt extremely shamelessly manipulated with that horrible ewok stuff in episode 6, kinda like when I saw Gremlins and half the movie seemed like a toy commercial. Ugh. Makes you wanna take a shower after to scrape off the sleaze.