PDA

View Full Version : Learning to ride a motorcycle...

Malachii
11-12-2005, 07:09 AM
I want to learn to ride a motorcycle. Obviously I'm going to want to take a motorcycle safety class before I do this, but I'd like to hear from some people who own or have owned a motorcycle in the past. How difficult is to learn how to ride on one? How long did it take you until you feel comfortable riding one on the freeway or for extended distances? Please share your experiences.

diebitter
11-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Take care, get some decent protective clothes, and don't freak out when you come off. Stick to slowish town riding till you've come off a few times. When you do come off (or have a near miss), pull over the side, and deep breathe till the shock wears off. It's just learning, so take it easy!

You will come off a couple of times, cos you haven't got the feel of braking.

11-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I dropped the bike that they give you during the course, and was happy to get that out of my system on their bike and not mine. Once you have taken the course and done some riding on your own bike you will start feeling very comfortable. I had a GSXR600 and enjoyed it very much.

Never brake during a turn! Not even a little!

handsome
11-12-2005, 08:12 AM
How much are lessons?

11-12-2005, 08:20 AM
i live in vancouver BC, took a course intructed by Proride, it was 6-7 hundred for group lessons, starting in a parking lot going around cones and stuff, and moving up to riding on the road. They also fast tracked you for getting your full license, which had a waiting list back when i was doing this, 3 years ago.

handsome
11-12-2005, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i live in vancouver BC, took a course intructed by Proride, it was 6-7 hundred for group lessons, starting in a parking lot going around cones and stuff, and moving up to riding on the road. They also fast tracked you for getting your full license, which had a waiting list back when i was doing this, 3 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. 600-700 for the entire group, or just for you? If the former, how much per person?

11-12-2005, 08:36 AM
You will drop the bike and/or fall at first. Don't think you are pathetic.

11-12-2005, 08:49 AM
that was per person. it was a pretty long course. group of maybe 8 people. Its easily worth it, I thought i already knew how to ride, but came out of the course thinking i would have killed myself if i hadnt taken it. Alot of the important stuff is understanding positioning so that you protect yourself and stay visible to cars.

Your gonna spend 8-10 g's on a new bike, and another grand on gear, and its your own life your risking aswell. Even if you grew up riding motorcross and have great judgment for scenarios on the streets, its still worth it to take some lessons.

RacersEdge
11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I never knew riding a motorcycle took so much learning. I see these fat dudes on harleys all the time, so I figured it was a pretty easy thing to pick up.

jacki
11-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I've never laid down a bike, not even during my safety class, when I had never ridden a motorcycle before.

Is that weird?

diebitter
11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Ah, you haven't lived till you've laid one down at about 40-50mph and done the tarmac slide...

icepick
11-12-2005, 11:22 AM
I took a 2-week night, 2 weekend-afternoon class, $175, through the MSF.

Worth every cent. And it counted as the riding skills portsion of my endorsement exam. Took the written part at the DMV, and was offically done. Spent a couple of days putting around the neighborhood too.

On the flip side, my mother took the class, twice, and spent about 200 miles worth of time in a parking lot before she was comfortable on a normal street.

mostsmooth
11-12-2005, 11:44 AM
i bought my first bike, the previous owner dropped it off, my friend gave me a couple pointers (how to shift, brake, etc) and i rode it around the block for like 5-10 minutes. i almost dropped it doing an ultra slow u-turn. after that we decided i was ready to go and i rode it about 40 miles to his house, parkway, city roads, everything. luckily i didnt crash.
i dont think its hard to learn to ride, but it takes a while to be good at it
safety courses are a good idea
when you go for your license, rent a trailbike with plates, like a 100cc or so. road test will be a breeze.

11-12-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Never brake during a turn! Not even a little!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is a truly ridiculous statement. There are definitely situations where you will have to brake during a corner. In fact part of my first motorcycle test tested this skill explicitly.

11-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Alot of people are telling you that you will fall a "couple of times" this isn't necessarily true. Yes lots of people drop the bike a couple of times during low speed maneuvering and thats nothing to be embaressed about really. But saying that you will crash on the street a couple of times while learning is silly. If you crash a couple of times while learning, you probably haven't absorbed what they taught you in the course.

It is quite possible that you won't fall at all while learning. I had never ridden a motorcycle 6 years ago when I took the motorcycle safety course and still haven't gone down yet. BUT I assume that I will fall at some point and as such am always prepared for it. I'll agree with the others and say the most important thing here is to get some decent safety gear. This means gloves, boots that cover your ankles, either a kevlar or leather jacket and a good helemet. Get a real full face helmet. Wearing all this gear is often uncomfortable in the summer, but who cares? Its more comfortable than multiple skin grafts.

When you're looking for new motorcycles start with something small (500cc or less) Spend a year or two on this bike getting comfortable. There are a ton good condition 15+ year old motorcycles that are perfect to learn on.

Anyways, most of this thread has been a bit doom and gloom. Motorcycling is far and away my most enjoyable hobby. I can almost gaurantee you'll fall in love. It is a truly exciting and rewarding pastime. The acceleration, speed, handling and braking of ability of motorcycles is what make them both fun and dangerous. They're far less dangerous than the rest of the world would have you believe though! Take the safety course and have fun!

Neko

11-12-2005, 12:11 PM
Definitely take the MSF course. We rode little 125cc engine bikes like Honda Rebels at the course I took and it was just a two day course. That was my only experience riding before I bought a 3 year old CB750 for $3700.

my hardest lesson learned: blue jeans aren't worth a [censored] when you're sliding across pavement faster than 30 mph.

Malachii
11-12-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alot of people are telling you that you will fall a "couple of times" this isn't necessarily true. Yes lots of people drop the bike a couple of times during low speed maneuvering and thats nothing to be embaressed about really. But saying that you will crash on the street a couple of times while learning is silly. If you crash a couple of times while learning, you probably haven't absorbed what they taught you in the course.

It is quite possible that you won't fall at all while learning. I had never ridden a motorcycle 6 years ago when I took the motorcycle safety course and still haven't gone down yet. BUT I assume that I will fall at some point and as such am always prepared for it. I'll agree with the others and say the most important thing here is to get some decent safety gear. This means gloves, boots that cover your ankles, either a kevlar or leather jacket and a good helemet. Get a real full face helmet. Wearing all this gear is often uncomfortable in the summer, but who cares? Its more comfortable than multiple skin grafts.

When you're looking for new motorcycles start with something small (500cc or less) Spend a year or two on this bike getting comfortable. There are a ton good condition 15+ year old motorcycles that are perfect to learn on.

Anyways, most of this thread has been a bit doom and gloom. Motorcycling is far and away my most enjoyable hobby. I can almost gaurantee you'll fall in love. It is a truly exciting and rewarding pastime. The acceleration, speed, handling and braking of ability of motorcycles is what make them both fun and dangerous. They're far less dangerous than the rest of the world would have you believe though! Take the safety course and have fun!

Neko

[/ QUOTE ]
Good post Neko. Thanks for sharing.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, you haven't lived till you've laid one down at about 40-50mph and done the tarmac slide...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't died either heheh.

Landon_McFly
11-12-2005, 06:32 PM
I bought a motorcycle when I was a senior in highschool. I bought a helmet and gloves, but that's the only gear I bought. It was a GSXR600. I never laid it down, but when I left town for a couple days my friend laid it down doing about 15mph. Didn't really mess it up, but a few weeks later I was getting used to it and before I knew it I was doing 125 on the highway EVERYTIME I GOT ON THE HIGHWAY. I had no idea before hand, but I'm totally addicted to speed. Doing 80MPH soon felt like doing 30mph.

I realized that one wipeout and I'd be dead, so I sold it. So far, it's added 3 years to my life, and I think it'll add many more. Take my advice...

Don't EVER let your friends ride it unless they have enough to cover any damage they could cause.

You have to repsect their power (I don't)

and...

DON'T EVER LET YOUR FRIENDS RIDE IT!

Blarg
11-12-2005, 06:37 PM
This is kind of how I look at it. I haven't ridden anything since my mini-bike days as a kid and my friend's real one around the parking lot years ago, but loved the heck out of it. And I've also had enough odd and disastrous harmful things happen to me that I figure a motorcycle would get me killed. Especially with the outrageously terrible and aggressive drivers in L.A. Heck, the first week I got a bicycle here I almost got killed and wound up in the hospital.

A motorcycle seems like it puts you in those terrible situations in life where your well being comes down not to your own skill and attention, but to the lack of idiocy in others. I have never found others to be reliable in this regard.

diebitter
11-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Yeah, Blarg speask the complete truth.

I was a safe rider (believe it or not), and was going along at speed limit, centre of road, wearing lumunous vest, lights on, and a tard actually pulled out and drove into me head on. It was lucky I didn't even have time to brake, as any slower I'd have been through the windscreen of the car, and not right over the top of it. Haven't been on a bike since. Figured can't be safe driving the way I was, then not safe at all.

But I did love biking /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ddollevoet
11-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing.

FYI - a full day group safety course with motorcycles provided is about $250 in Atlanta.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 08:43 PM
I always thought it would be cool if I lived in a rural area or something, but not in this crazy city full of morons. Heck, I've been hit numerous times in my car when I was parked at stop signs, at the entrance to parking lots, etc. Cripes, you're sitting there plain as day, stopped for quite a while, AT A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE NORMALLY STOP and are expected to -- and you STILL get hit? People are way too effing stupid for me to risk taking those hits or worse on a bike. Even though I think it would be really cool to bike. But not for somebody with my kind of luck, no way.

JaBlue
11-12-2005, 08:48 PM
My friend just crashed the 11 grand superbike he bought a month ago. He never took lessons or safety course and this was his first bike. do not be an idiot like him