PDA

View Full Version : A few weeks left, who are your BCS Teams?

johnnybeef
11-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Predictions?

lastchance
11-12-2005, 02:18 AM
I remember another thread about this, but basically, this is it how it breaks down:
Pac 10 - USC
Big 10 - Penn State
ACC - Miami
Big 12 - Texas
Big East - West Virginia/South Florida
SEC - LSU/Alabama/Auburn/Georgia/Florida

Random spots:
OSU/Alabama/Notre Dame/Oregon/Texas Tech/Virginia Tech

I just hope the bowl reps don't believe in this:

11) What is the toughest conference in college football this season?
79.6% SEC
8.4% Big Ten
6.3% ACC
3.3% Pac-10
1.9% Big 12
0.4% Big East

PhatTBoll
11-12-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

79.6% SEC
8.4% Big Ten
6.3% ACC
3.3% Pac-10
1.9% Big 12
0.4% Big East

[/ QUOTE ]
Fear not! The bowl reps believe only in getting as much money as they can without getting called out.

cokehead
11-12-2005, 03:25 AM
the SEC is obviously overrated. every team in the conference seems to have a great defense when none of them have an offense worth speaking of. after the conference champ gets blown out in their BCS bowl the bowl reps will realize this.

i think if ND wins the rest of their games they make a game, either against Miami or Penn State (more likely)

WLVRYN
11-12-2005, 11:44 AM
As a kool-aid drinking Michigan alum, there is still a chance for Michigan to make the BCS as the Big 10 champ. We need some help (we win out, PSU loses to MSU next week and Iowa beats Wisc today) and the way this season has gone, its unlikely, but as Lloyd Christmas says "so you're saying I've got a chance!"

holeplug
11-12-2005, 12:33 PM
See here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3747387&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1)

Guy Incognito
11-12-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the SEC is obviously overrated. after the conference champ gets blown out in their BCS bowl the bowl reps will realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just like the last 4 years, right?

Big 10 is still the most overrated conference.

PhatTBoll
11-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Miami would likely play the SEC champ, especially if Bama or Georgia wins out, in kind of a 3 vs. 4 game. It would get great ratings and draw a good crowd also. I agree that ND vs. Penn St. is more likely and I would love to see it.

Unfortunately, I think it's just as likely that ND gets matched up against the sacrificial lamb from the Big East in the Fiesta Bowl.

pokerdirty
11-12-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the SEC is obviously overrated. after the conference champ gets blown out in their BCS bowl the bowl reps will realize this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

Clarkmeister
11-12-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

79.6% SEC
8.4% Big Ten
6.3% ACC
3.3% Pac-10
1.9% Big 12
0.4% Big East

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they got the top one and the bottom two correct at least.

Guy Incognito
11-12-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I thought the SEC had won the last four Sugar Bowls.

Oh wait, they did, so apparently you're the idiot.

WLVRYN
11-12-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the ratings (used for the BCS) all say that Big 10 is best this year. Here are the Sagarin ratings:

1 BIG TEN
2 ATLANTIC COAST
3 PAC-10
4 BIG 12
5 SOUTHEASTERN
6 BIG EAST
7 I-A INDEPENDENTS
8 MOUNTAIN WEST
9 CONFERENCE USA
10 MID-AMERICAN
11 WESTERN ATHLETIC

Here are the BC Moore rankings:

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 Pac 10
4 ACC
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 USA
8 M West
9 Division 1A Independ
10 MAC
11 WAC

Here are the Anderson Sports rankings:

Big Ten
Atlantic Coast
Big 12
Pac-10
Southeastern
Big East
Mountain West
Conference USA
Mid-American
WAC
Sun Belt

And here are the Wolfe ratings:

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 ACC
4 Pac 10
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 Mtn West
8 C-USA
9 MAC
10 I-A Indep.

bernie
11-12-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the ratings (used for the BCS) all say that Big 10 is best this year. Here are the Sagarin ratings:

1 BIG TEN
2 ATLANTIC COAST
3 PAC-10
4 BIG 12
5 SOUTHEASTERN
6 BIG EAST
7 I-A INDEPENDENTS
8 MOUNTAIN WEST
9 CONFERENCE USA
10 MID-AMERICAN
11 WESTERN ATHLETIC

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 Pac 10
4 ACC
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 USA
8 M West
9 Division 1A Independ
10 MAC
11 WAC

Big Ten
Atlantic Coast
Big 12
Pac-10
Southeastern
Big East
Mountain West
Conference USA
Mid-American
WAC
Sun Belt

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 ACC
4 Pac 10
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 Mtn West
8 C-USA
9 MAC
10 I-A Indep.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that they rate the big 12 in the top 3 that much is a joke. Big 12 blows this year.

b

SinCityGuy
11-12-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Predictions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking forward to an epic clash between Miami and South Florida in the Orange Bowl.

Guy Incognito
11-12-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the ratings (used for the BCS) all say that Big 10 is best this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I mean. The Big Ten teams are way too high in the computer rankings, IMO.

TomCollins
11-12-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the ratings (used for the BCS) all say that Big 10 is best this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I mean. The Big Ten teams are way too high in the computer rankings, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize that this is because the Big 10 is the toughest top to bottom conference. Besides Illinois and Indiana, every team has a shot at beating any other team every week. And the top teams in the Big 10 can compete with the top teams in any other conference.

Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State would all have a good shot at beating any team in the country. Would they be favorites over USC or Texas? Probably not, but they could give a good game.

The SEC has a lot of "top" teams, but Tenn, Florida are both down. Georgia is good with their QB. Bama is having a Cinderella Story. LSU is also pretty decent. Auburn is a good middle of the pack team, and the rest of the conference is pretty much garbage.

pokerdirty
11-12-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This just proves you're an idiot. Idiot.

pokerdirty
11-12-2005, 08:56 PM
WLVRYN,

Great post, but I'm a little confused to see the Big 12 in 2nd in 2 of those lists...Does Texas' greatness this year make up for the 11 other [censored] teams?

lastchance
11-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Change that SEC - Huge amount of teams to LSU/maybe Georgia.

otis_nixon
11-12-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the SEC is obviously overrated. every team in the conference seems to have a great defense when none of them have an offense worth speaking of. after the conference champ gets blown out in their BCS bowl the bowl reps will realize this.

i think if ND wins the rest of their games they make a game, either against Miami or Penn State (more likely)

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly ND can win games on offense but eventually the no defense things is going to catch up with you. He didnt help win all those championships at the patriots with offense and he will not at ND. Defense wins championships and that s the bottomline. I would prefer watching a defensive match than a scoring fest but thats just my personal preference. any pac 10 team besides USC would be in the same situation as ole miss or miss state in the sec. They just are joke programs.

WLVRYN
11-12-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WLVRYN,

Great post, but I'm a little confused to see the Big 12 in 2nd in 2 of those lists...Does Texas' greatness this year make up for the 11 other [censored] teams?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually pretty shocked when someone pointed these out to me since I thought it was a down year for the Big 10. I think where most of this comes from is the conferences' orevall records against non-conference teams, not just the fact that there is a great team in the conference (USC, Texas). The Big 10 was something like 45-6 non-conference, with 4 of the losses coming against teams that were/are ranked. I also think that what made the rankings better for them was that every Big 10 team was 2-1 or 3-0 in its non-conference schedule, and the Big 12 only had 1 team that was 1-2 or worse (Oklahoma). I am a little surprised that the Pac-10 is above the SEC since they have two teams with 1-2 or worse records (vs 1 in the SEC), so maybe it has something to do with strength of schedule.

Of course you could always fall back on the "We'll see how our conference does in the Bowl Games" argument, but even then, you're taking a very small sample size of games and against teams from varying conferences. I think in order to truly determine who the better conference is, you'd need a Big 10/ACC challenge type matchup similar to college basketball.

Just a personal opinion though, after watching the LSU-Alabama game this afternoon, I'm pretty sure that neither of those teams would be able to win the Big 10 with their offenses. They play great D, but almost every team in the Big 10 has an explosive offense that can put up points, and neither team would be good enough defensively week in and week out to make up for their paltry offensive production.

WLVRYN
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a kool-aid drinking Michigan alum, there is still a chance for Michigan to make the BCS as the Big 10 champ. We need some help (we win out, PSU loses to MSU next week and Iowa beats Wisc today) and the way this season has gone, its unlikely, but as Lloyd Christmas says "so you're saying I've got a chance!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Halfway home boys, thanks to Iowa. We need a shocker in East Lansing and to get past the Suckeyes next week, and we'll be dancing the in BCS. Maybe we can get a shot at Notre Dame again.

PhatTBoll
11-12-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He didnt help win all those championships at the patriots with offense

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.bris.ac.uk/iwmw2005/slides/ui/serious.jpg

11-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Texas wins it all.

lastchance
11-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Oregon and ASU would wipe Ole Miss/Mississippi State. Are you kidding me?

And it's Texas vs. SC for the title, and I agree that Texas might be a bit better.

Shillx
11-13-2005, 05:11 AM
USC and Texas in the Rose. LSU from the SEC, The U from the ACC, PSU from the Big Ten and what the hell is the Big East?

Being a west coast guy, I would love to see Oregon get an at large bid, but I don't see it happening. ND will get one if they are in the top 12 at the end of the season, and it looks like Va Tech will end up in the top 6 when all is said and done.

So it looks like Texas v USC in Pasadena (with USC in a rout). I should have gone to the game today in Berkeley but decided not to. /images/graemlins/frown.gif ND v Miami in the Orange. PSU v Big East Champ in Tempe and LSU v Va Tech in the Sugar.

Guy Incognito
11-13-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This just proves you're an idiot. Idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever helps you sleep at night, Junior.

Looks like LSU vs. UGA (by default) for the SEC, before yesterday I would have picked UGA to win with Shockley healthy, but after that horrid performance on defense, who knows. Of course, either of them will kill USF.

And Texas to win it all.

lastchance
11-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Well, that suddenly becomes a lot simpler.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember another thread about this, but basically, this is it how it breaks down:
Pac 10 - USC
Big 10 - Penn State
ACC - Miami
Big 12 - Texas
Big East - West Virginia/South Florida
SEC - LSU/Alabama/Auburn/Georgia/Florida

Random spots:
OSU/Alabama/Notre Dame/Oregon/Texas Tech/Virginia Tech

[/ QUOTE ]
LSU or Georgia wins SEC, loser is way out of contention for a BCS bid. Miami loses to GT, and they give up their spot to Va Tech.

TTU loses, Bama loses twice, and it comes down to this, IMHO:

Pac 10 - USC
Big 10 - Penn State
ACC - Virginia Tech
Big 12 - Texas
Big East - West Virginia/South Florida (South Florida has better than 50/50 chance, as West Virginia has to come to South Florida)
SEC - LSU/Georgia (probably LSU)
Outside bids:
OSU/Notre Dame/Oregon
Big Ten's toughest conference in country, by far, OSU lost to Texas and Penn State, #2 and #3 team in team in the country, IMHO. Oregon's the best 1 loss team left that doesn't already have a bid. And Notre Dame has prestige going for it.

smb394
11-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Rose: USC-Texas
Fiesta: Notre Dame-Ohio State
Orange: Penn St-Va. Tech
Sugar: LSU-WVU

I bought Orange Bowl tickets last night to see PSU, so I'm hoping the above is correct (barring USC or Texas loss /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Clarkmeister
11-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't think OSU should get an at large bid. If LSU loses to GA, they should still get in, if not, it should go to Oregon. ND is in.

This is obviously what I think *should* happen, not what I think will happen. The BCS is a joke regardless.

Iplayboard
11-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Clarkmeister- Why don't you think Ohio State should get an at-large bid other than the fact that you don't like them?

They lost to the #2 and #3 teams by a combined six points. They have played one of the toughest schedules in the country, are playing their best football lately (except maybe for special teams...), feature some of the most exciting players in the nation, and have a great fan base that travels well.

Oregon has played a much weaker schedule and almost lost to 1-7 Washington State. Every human poll and every computer ranking has Ohio State above Oregon in the rankings. If the Ducks get a BCS bid over the Buckeyes it would be a total joke.

Clarkmeister
11-20-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister- Why don't you think Ohio State should get an at-large bid other than the fact that you don't like them?

They lost to the #2 and #3 teams by a combined six points. They have played one of the toughest schedules in the country, are playing their best football lately (except maybe for special teams...), feature some of the most exciting players in the nation, and have a great fan base that travels well.

Oregon has played a much weaker schedule and almost lost to 1-7 Washington State. Every human poll and every computer ranking has Ohio State above Oregon in the rankings. If the Ducks get a BCS bid over the Buckeyes it would be a total joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Big Ten is vastly overrated, and the Pac-10 is underrated. Losing at home despite Texas BEGGING to be beat is terrible. As you mentioned, they lost to the #2 and #3 teams already. They don't deserve yet another shot in the postseason. Frankly, I'd put Oregon in over ND also. Both lost to USC, but only ND managed to actually lose another game, at home, to a pretty poor MSU squad.

And LSU should be in regardless of what happens to GA. I'd consider Auburn also. As always, the SEC is the best conference.

mmbt0ne
11-20-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the SEC west is the best division

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with this much. It's a pretty down year for the SEC all around though, mostly over in the east.

Is that enough to carry the SEC to best conference? Maybe. I'll admit I don't know enough about some of the other conferences compared to the SEC and ACC to feel good enough to make an arguement either way. However, if the SEC really is such an obvious choice for the best conference, it's a down year for college football.

TomCollins
11-20-2005, 02:33 PM
You can't be the best conference if 7 teams in your conference are just plain awful. I don't care if the other 5 are 1-2-3-4-5.

Clarkmeister
11-20-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't be the best conference if 7 teams in your conference are just plain awful. I don't care if the other 5 are 1-2-3-4-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit extreme, don't you think?

Zeno
11-20-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the Big Ten is vastly overrated, and the Pac-10 is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. This is something that has been more or less consistent year after year, at least recently (say in the last decade or so).

The other reason to put in Oregon is the team has overcome much adversity and the simple fact that they are a fun and exciting football team to watch play, and have won 7 in a row. They would make a good match up against just about any team in the country. And in the end, that is what you want a bowl game to be about.

Also, just as a general comment: Fu*k Ohio State, The Big Ten, and their Moronic Fans.

-Zeno

lastchance
11-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Sagarin (http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm) would disagree greatly with you. The Big Ten is 9 deep, something no other conference is. You only have two bad teams out of 11, while most conferences have half of them be terrible (read: SEC).

If any conference is overrated, it's SEC, by a mile. Big Ten is far and away the toughest conference to run the table on.

And I really doubt that any team deserves the outside bid over Notre Dame, Oregon, and OSU (maybe Miami).

And if you need to have a 2-loss team in the BCS (and there's no other one-loss team that deserves a bid besides Oregon), the team that loses to the #2 and #3 team in the country while taking on a tough Big Ten Schedule should be what you're looking for.

MyTurn2Raise
11-20-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1 BIG TEN
2 ATLANTIC COAST
3 PAC-10
4 BIG 12
5 SOUTHEASTERN
6 BIG EAST
7 I-A INDEPENDENTS
8 MOUNTAIN WEST
9 CONFERENCE USA
10 MID-AMERICAN
11 WESTERN ATHLETIC

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 Pac 10
4 ACC
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 USA
8 M West
9 Division 1A Independ
10 MAC
11 WAC

Big Ten
Atlantic Coast
Big 12
Pac-10
Southeastern
Big East
Mountain West
Conference USA
Mid-American
WAC
Sun Belt

1 Big 10
2 Big 12
3 ACC
4 Pac 10
5 SEC
6 Big East
7 Mtn West
8 C-USA
9 MAC
10 I-A Indep.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously, these ratings are a joke

big ten sucks as usual
big twelve sucks

Watching the games, it's clearly the Pac10, SEC, and ACC above those two

Did everyone forget the BigTen's test week earlier in the year? Texas wins at Ohio State (toughest Big10 game possible). Notre Dame wins at Michigan. Iowa State beat Iowa's ass. Big10 blows

somehow, the big10 is always rated good when the traditional powers do well

Clarkmeister
11-20-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously, these ratings are a joke

[/ QUOTE ]

Any ratings with the B12 ranked higher than like the 5th best conference instantly lose credibility.

lastchance
11-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Yeah, because Texas, Iowa State, and Notre Dame are such bad teams.

Dudd
11-20-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, because Texas, Iowa State, and Notre Dame are such bad teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. The previous posts discuss the rankings of the various conferences and how the Big 12 is overrated, and the first two teams seem to bolster your argument that the Big 12 isn't overrated. Yet, I have no idea how ND fits into this, since they aren't in the Big 12 and they don't even have any Big 12 teams on their schedule. What exactly are you referring to?

lastchance
11-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I wasn't arguing about Big 12, I was arguing about the Big Ten. Having one of your 5th or 6th best teams lose to Iowa State, your second best team lose to Texas and your 3rd or 4th best team lose to Notre Dame doesn't exactly say that your conference sucks.

The Big Ten plays good teams nonconference. The SEC plays really bad ones.

TomCollins
11-20-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't arguing about Big 12, I was arguing about the Big Ten. Having one of your 5th or 6th best teams lose to Iowa State, your second best team lose to Texas and your 3rd or 4th best team lose to Notre Dame doesn't exactly say that your conference sucks.

The Big Ten plays good teams nonconference. The SEC plays really bad ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calm down boys. Settle it in the bowls.

TheHip41
11-21-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember when Iowa beat LSU in the Citris last year? Very overrated.