PDA

View Full Version : Book Club, Part II

Scotch78
11-12-2005, 12:02 AM
Dan Rutter, evolvedForm, chezlaw, and PrayingMantis, please start thinking about the text you would like to read. Let's try to keep things in the 50-75 page range, and hopefully we can do one selection every 6-8 weeks. Since RJT and I both want to do Soren Kierkegaard, I figure that we can just combine our choices into one and go first. RJT, any ideas what specific text you'd like to read?

Also, we will need to make sure that we all have the same copy/translation of a work, so here's what I'm thinking. Whenever your selection comes up, each person will be responsible for getting an electronic version that we can all print out.

Everything sound good so far? Let everyone know what you think so that we can make this work for all of us. Thanks everyone.

Scott

DougShrapnel
11-12-2005, 06:36 AM
I would like to get in on this too.

chezlaw
11-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm happy to go with SK, can't think of anything more remote from philosophy I read so it might be tough.

chez

RJT
11-13-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy to go with SK, can't think of anything more remote from philosophy I read so it might be tough.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

SK is pretty easy. Probably why I like him. Actually this is why I love him (I already posted this quote before - sorry to be redundant):

“I stick my fingers into existence - it smells of nothing. Where am I? What is this thing called the world? Who is it who lured me into the thing, and leaves me here? Who am I? How did I come into the world? Why was I not consulted?”

Why was I not consulted? I crack up whenever I read this last line. So, desperate, yet I just think it is so funny (it isn’t meant to be) - in a “Waiting for Godot” humorous way.

Which leads to another idea for down the road - we can do some literature too. We don’t have to stick to “texts” of philosophers. Kafka, Chekov …

Scotch, I don’t have anything in mind regarding Soren - I’ll browse, but if you find something in the meantime you have in mind, go for it.

RJT

RJT
11-13-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

I checked with the registrar. Registration was closed, but I got you in. I told him you were a good guy (in spite of your atheism).

RJT

p.s. To anyone else interested - obviously, I am kidding. The more the merrier as “they” say.

Who is “they“? In the final exam we will attempt to find the answer to at least this question.

11-13-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

I checked with the registrar. Registration was closed, but I got you in. I told him you were a good guy (in spite of your atheism).

RJT

p.s. To anyone else interested - obviously, I am kidding. The more the merrier as “they” say.

Who is “they“? In the final exam we will attempt to find the answer to at least this question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not mind 'auditing' the course, though participation may happen despite myself.

DougShrapnel
11-13-2005, 09:30 AM
I owe you one RJT, in spite of your well crafted stories.

...in spite of my atheism. That one made me laugh. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

chezlaw
11-13-2005, 02:20 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wasn't consulted but have got it on sale or return.

chez

Scotch78
11-13-2005, 04:19 PM
RJT,

I have a existentialist primer that includes selections from Fear and Trembling, The Sickness unto Death, and Concluding Unscientific Postscript , and totals about 65 pages. Fear and Trembling is about 100 pages total, so that could also be a possibility. Beyond that though, I have no idea.

Scott

11-13-2005, 04:37 PM
That would be great by me as my face is actually 12 inches from the Postscript as I type /images/graemlins/smile.gif because I'm comparing Kierkegaard with Nietzsche in a term paper. Who woulda thunk the book club would pay off so soon? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

RJT
11-13-2005, 05:14 PM
78 & EF,

Here are some links I found. Haven't found any "postscript" stuff online yet.

EF, I am thinking that since you are doing a paper, you might want to see which selections from any SK's work will best suit your needs.

The links are just a start for the selection process. Not limited to these works.

RJT

http://www.religion-online.org/listbycategory.asp?Cat=110

http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=2067

http://www.religion-online.org/showbook.asp?title=2068

Something we will want to keep in mind regarding SK - we want to pick something that the atheist can find interesting to discuss.

RJT
11-13-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug,

RJT

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not mind 'auditing' the course, though participation may happen despite myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan,

I know what you mean. I often go to a parish committee meeting - usually regarding school finances (most have no clue how to read a financial report - or don’t care) - with the full intent on simply listening. But, then I can’t take the nonsense for long and I end up doing most of the talking trying to explain things. Usually they still don’t get it and I look like all I care about are the numbers.

I am sure your input will be interesting and valued especially when we “still don’t get it”.

RJT

11-13-2005, 07:42 PM
RJT,

I couldn't find the Postscript online. The Sickness Unto Death would be cool by me, as I am using it for my paper as well - but I'm open for anything. Kierkegaard's a good place to start for existentialism IMHO.

EvF

Scotch78
11-13-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Something we will want to keep in mind regarding SK - we want to pick something that the atheist can find interesting to discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not our problem if somebody has no philosophical taste. This is Kierkegaard, not some Scholastic parrot.

Scott

Scotch78
11-13-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm comparing Kierkegaard with Nietzsche in a term paper

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to e-mail me (since1978ataol.com) if you need a reader.

Scott

Scotch78
11-14-2005, 12:48 AM
We're under way! (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3933691&an=0&page=0#Post 3933691)

Scott