PDA

View Full Version : Bankroll for SNGs

11-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Recently cashed out a grand on pokerstars from 25 bucks lol. Kinda lucky I guess, maybe not. But uh I'm gonna deposit on pokerroom.com and play 5.50 and 11 SNGs. Was wondering what a reasonable bankroll is for that. Also I'm wondering why i've lost like 300 in ring games on stars the past few weeks. Starting to piss me off. I've had very few winnning sessions. Haven't really changed how I play. Usually play tight, solid. Seems like I keep getting dicked out every time I get a hand. Maybe just an extremely long run of bad luck with lucky donks. Maybe I suck though I dunno. This post is most definately going to seem disjointed and incomplete because I'm lazy and tired. Comments and advice plz, mainly on starting bankrolls for ring games and SNGs, all stakes.

GtrHtr
11-11-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I suck though I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

bones
11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I'm lazy and tired. Comments and advice plz...

[/ QUOTE ]

This part always makes me laugh.

the shadow
11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Gator,

Welcome to the forum.

Please read citanul's FAQ, which says:

[ QUOTE ]
How big a bankroll do I need?

This is totally a preference thing. How willing or able are you to reload your bankroll if you bust it? How low of a risk of ruin do you like to have to feel comfortable? You should always have enough money in your bankroll that you are not playing with “scared money” at whatever stakes you are playing.

Many numbers are thrown around for how many buyins for a given level actually constitutes a bankroll. However, there are some factors that are clearly true, including that you need to have a larger in terms of buyins bankroll to play the higher stakes games. While many agree that to play the lower stakes games, 30-50 buyins is probably enough, many also say that to feel comfortable playing the highest limit games, they like to have 50-100 buyins in their bankroll. 100 being the most conservative number offered for high stakes play.

The recommended numbers for these things are constantly in flux. Some people want to know how large a bankroll you should need if you're never willing to move down in stakes, some want to know how large a roll is needed if you're willing to move down. Required bankroll is basically saying "How many buyins do I need to have a (really) low risk of ruin?" as I said in the first paragraph. Sadly ROR depends on a lot of things. People's bankroll requirements are going to be functions of their own ROI, number of tables played at once, succeptability to tilt, and other factors. Thus, the above is merely a framework to work with. If you find yourself needing more, for "real" or psychological reasons, make sure you have more. In general though, less than 30 buyins is considered unsafe in terms of ROR.

It is very important to remember that the more willing a player is to move down limits when they lose, practicing a form of bankroll management, the fewer buyins for the next highest level the player needs to take a shot at moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shadow

GtrHtr
11-11-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gator,

Welcome to the forum.

Please read citanul's FAQ, which says:

[ QUOTE ]
How big a bankroll do I need?

This is totally a preference thing. How willing or able are you to reload your bankroll if you bust it? How low of a risk of ruin do you like to have to feel comfortable? You should always have enough money in your bankroll that you are not playing with “scared money” at whatever stakes you are playing.

Many numbers are thrown around for how many buyins for a given level actually constitutes a bankroll. However, there are some factors that are clearly true, including that you need to have a larger in terms of buyins bankroll to play the higher stakes games. While many agree that to play the lower stakes games, 30-50 buyins is probably enough, many also say that to feel comfortable playing the highest limit games, they like to have 50-100 buyins in their bankroll. 100 being the most conservative number offered for high stakes play.

The recommended numbers for these things are constantly in flux. Some people want to know how large a bankroll you should need if you're never willing to move down in stakes, some want to know how large a roll is needed if you're willing to move down. Required bankroll is basically saying "How many buyins do I need to have a (really) low risk of ruin?" as I said in the first paragraph. Sadly ROR depends on a lot of things. People's bankroll requirements are going to be functions of their own ROI, number of tables played at once, succeptability to tilt, and other factors. Thus, the above is merely a framework to work with. If you find yourself needing more, for "real" or psychological reasons, make sure you have more. In general though, less than 30 buyins is considered unsafe in terms of ROR.

It is very important to remember that the more willing a player is to move down limits when they lose, practicing a form of bankroll management, the fewer buyins for the next highest level the player needs to take a shot at moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, now I feel bad.

No. Wait. His name is still Gatorsuck, so thats ok.

btw, lazy ain't gonna cut it, jk about ur name.

Bluff Daddy
11-11-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...I'm lazy and tired. Comments and advice plz...

[/ QUOTE ]

This part always makes me laugh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also I'm wondering why i've lost like 300 in ring games on stars the past few weeks.

[/ QUOTE ] this made laugh without including whether he was playing limit or nl and at what stakes.

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like I keep getting dicked out every time I get a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

and this is the best. Are you getting dicked out on whatever that means or are you just playing badly hmmmmm guess no one knows, maybe u should take your grand and buy some stocks or something

swiftrhett
11-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Don't be such a Gator Hater! But seriously, Gator, it sounds like you suck. Don't worry though, most of us here sucked at one time too, and you can get better!

GtrHtr
11-11-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But seriously, Gators suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you agree, FYP

11-12-2005, 12:18 AM
rofl, thx for all the bashing..but okay I guess I'll be more specific. bought in on PS with 25 bucks. played in like .10-.25 NL or something for a while, I can't remember how much I made from that. Moved up to .50-1 NL which is where I spent most of my time after that. From this I was consistently making money just playing 1 or 2 tables for a couple hours here and there. I got my bankroll up to 1200 and cashed out 900 of it. From this time on I would lose lose lose. You all may be right and I suck. But how does one go on such a run to make 1200 dollars at those stakes? It couldn't have all been luck could it? Maybe someone could explain to me typical "runs" and "downswings" and what is outside the norm for those. Now don't say that 1200 dollars is chump change, which I'm sure it is to most of you all, but not to a poor college student.

11-12-2005, 12:31 AM
but i guess that is all off topic so screw it.

GtrHtr
11-12-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Recently cashed out a grand on pokerstars from 25 bucks lol. Kinda lucky I guess, maybe not. But uh I'm gonna deposit on pokerroom.com and play 5.50 and 11 SNGs. Was wondering what a reasonable bankroll is for that. Also I'm wondering why i've lost like 300 in ring games on stars the past few weeks. Starting to piss me off. I've had very few winnning sessions. Haven't really changed how I play. Usually play tight, solid. Seems like I keep getting dicked out every time I get a hand. Maybe just an extremely long run of bad luck with lucky donks. Maybe I suck though I dunno. This post is most definately going to seem disjointed and incomplete because I'm lazy and tired. Comments and advice plz, mainly on starting bankrolls for ring games and SNGs, all stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'll give you a serious answer. Read the FAQ. Pay attention to the sections on bankroll and variance. Bankroll, as The Shadow pointed out, is fairly SnG oriented. Variance varies based on the type of game you play. Generally speaking, variance in SnG's, to a good (not great) player, is lower than limit or NL.

Play some games, lose to USC, post some hands and read, study the game and don't be lazy.

11-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Thank you, that was better.

GtrHtr
11-12-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, that was better.

[/ QUOTE ]

You earned it. You took it well. Now go out there and lose to USC!!!

11-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Go Gators

GtrHtr
11-12-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go Gators

[/ QUOTE ]

HAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA

troll.

bawcerelli
11-12-2005, 01:51 AM
hey swift, why is your avatar raptor?