PDA

View Full Version : Dell 2001FP warranty issue

CourtesyFlush
11-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I purchased a 2001FP from dell.com when there was a deal on and had it shipped to my sister's address in the US (I live in Canada). I assumed we could get the warranty switched over to my name, but it appears from reading the dell site that the warranty is non-transferrable (here (http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/reftopic.aspx/gen/en/policy?c=ca&l=en&s=gen&~section=010#limited_warran ty_systems)). I'm confused by this, how are all of the ebay sellers able to give 3 year warranties on this monitor? Anyone know how this works?

CLC
11-13-2005, 01:01 AM
When I was looking to buy an LCD, I contacted Dell and a couple other manufacturers and inquired about their warranty. All of them stated that for the warranty to be valid, the product had to be purchased from an authorized dealer. any other purchase had a RESTRICTED warranty. Planar has a 3 year replacement warranty and shipping for replacement (both ways) was included, if purchased properly. However if purchased from ebay the warranty is only 90 days and shipping to and from repair dept is customers responsibility.

In short, according to the manufacturer, the warranties described by sellers on ebey and other such sites are not correctly represented and may be non-existant.

astroglide
11-13-2005, 05:35 PM
i would expect it to be tough from usa to canada. afaik dell does have warranty transferring to one owner within the states. as for people offering warranties on ebay, most of them are supplied by places like 'mack' which are 3rd-party warranty houses.