PDA

View Full Version : Taking a stand with JT suited - late in a tournament

Magician
06-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I got deep into an NLHE tournament on Pokerstars today and I noticed (someone else) make the following play:

From the SB (rolling antes) he goes all-in on the BB who calls. SB flips over JTs. BB has an underpair. SB hits the J on the river. SB and BB are the two shortest stacks at the final table.

The question is: what's the value of JT suited in such a situation?

Is JT suited a hand you take a stand with or raise all in with late in a tournament with a short stack and threatening blinds? Each player could have survived maybe just 2 or 3 more orbits before being blinded out.

Al_Capone_Junior
06-22-2003, 07:30 PM
In general I don't like JT for going all-in. Ax is better because it will stand up hot and cold more often than JT. Pairs are fine for desperation all-in raises too. People put too much value on suitedness when they do this.

al

Rickfish
06-23-2003, 06:55 AM
I like the play of taking on the other small stack. If you win you have knocked someone out which is worth money and it was the only person that you could do it to. Most of the time the BB would have no hand. I would probably make the same play unless I was "asleep".