PDA

View Full Version : DVD Review: R-Kelly's Trapped in the Closet

shant
11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000BI5MQS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

For those of you who don't know about R Kelly's masterpiece, Trapped in the Closet, now is the perfect time to see what you've been missing.

I can't believe there are people out there who are unaware of the creative genius that is R Kelly, but here's a quick summary. R, or Kelly (not sure how to abbreviate him), is caught in a love quadrihexagon and sings every voice in this "Hip Hopera" while actors act out each scene. I'm not sure if R is being serious, or if he's in on how funny the whole thing is. Either way, he has created gold.

The DVD is around $14.99 and comes with Chapters 1 - 12, which means seven of the chapters are unreleased. This was great news for me because it really got good around chapter nine. I was having to pause to laugh and rewind to catch things I missed. Just when I thought R had pushed it too far, he really outdid himself again and again.

The DVD also comes with a mini poster, a behind-the-scenes look at the filming, and a "Kelly Remix Commentary" which I haven't watched yet, but I am confident I will enjoy.

I reccomend this DVD for people who really enjoy unintentional comedy. If you go into it with an open mind, I will guarrantee you will be blown away by Trapped in the Closet. Even if you already watched Chapters 1 - 5 on R's website (like I did), you will still enjoy this DVD. The visuals are even better, and the DVD quality sound is awesome for when R belts out, 'OH MY GOD IT'S A RUBBER!"

4.5/5 Stars*

*The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because R apparently has an endless amount of chapters in his vault, so I'll have to continue buying his awesome DVDs.

Yeti
11-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Man, I need to check this out.

private joker
11-11-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
R, or Kelly (not sure how to abbreviate him), is caught in a love quadrihexagon

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.stxavier.org/ftp/girlsjrhiteam.jpg

shant
11-11-2005, 09:37 PM
I really think El Diablo would enjoy this as much as he enjoys My Super Sweet 16.

RustedCorpse
11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
R, or Kelly (not sure how to abbreviate him), is caught in a love quadrihexagon

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.stxavier.org/ftp/girlsjrhiteam.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD... jesus man I actually laughed.

Dominic
11-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I like when he wants to go out the window, and the chick tells him something like, "yeah, great plan, only we're on the 5th floor."

First time I saw these videos I watched with my mouth wide open in amazement. I couldn't believe how deliciously bad it all was. I really, really hope R. Kelly isn't in on the joke. I hope he's not joking. I really, really hope. Because that just makes all of this that much more incredible.

BWebb
11-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Haven't seen them all but the ones I have seen are hilarious. I think this has to get top honors on the Unintentional Comedy Scale, you can't get any better.

NotMitch
11-11-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like when he wants to go out the window, and the chick tells him something like, "yeah, great plan, only we're on the 5th floor."

First time I saw these videos I watched with my mouth wide open in amazement. I couldn't believe how deliciously bad it all was. I really, really hope R. Kelly isn't in on the joke. I hope he's not joking. I really, really hope. Because that just makes all of this that much more incredible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the fact that the song just rambles and is awful. Trapped in the Closet is really amazing.

Klepton
11-11-2005, 10:36 PM
can anyone find a torrent of this?

benza13
11-11-2005, 10:59 PM
I saw 1-5 on his website and the other day I saw 6-9 I think, or maybe 6-8, on VH1. I think VH1 is playing them all in half hour shows, but I'm not sure. Either way, this is pure gold. I am pretty sure that he is taking it completely seriously too, I know there was a thread about this when 1-5 first came out and I am pretty sure someone said that R Kelly compared it to Thriller as far as quality and potential impact. I see if I can find it.

Edit: here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=3116195&page=0&vc=1)

shant
11-12-2005, 05:45 AM
Chapters 9 - 12 are simply unbelievable. At that point I started doubting R-Kelly's intentions.

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really think El Diablo would enjoy this as much as he enjoys My Super Sweet 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I caught a couple of chapters of his hip-hopera at the MTV music awards and have been desperately trying to figure out where to find the whole thing! THANKS!!!

Ulysses
11-12-2005, 07:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chapters 9 - 12 are simply unbelievable. At that point I started doubting R-Kelly's intentions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really have to get the MTV VMA clips.

trying2learn
11-12-2005, 12:07 PM
I've actually found myself in disbelief numerous times watching this trainwreck. He is 100% NOT in on this joke. He believes this is his masterpiece, which is why - unfortunately - he is going to continue to think this, because it's doing well. If only because people are laughing hysterically at it.

2+2 wannabe
11-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I can't think of r. kelly without thinking of him pissing on girls

JihadOnTheRiver
11-12-2005, 01:09 PM
My most passionate current prejudice is to consider anybody that likes the Trapped In The Closet series a complete idiot. But then again, I have a lot of prejudices.

27offsuit
11-13-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't think of r. kelly without thinking of him pissing on girls

[/ QUOTE ]

...gonna piss on youuu...
...drip, drip, drip...

DC rules

shant
11-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Yesterday I took this DVD to a friend's house while we pre-drank before the bar. She was skeptical, but eventually she came around and was laughing a lot. Then, 2 more people came over and I restarted it and they also fell in love.

We also found another added benefit of the DVD. The DVD menu music is an instrumental of the song that loops, which is great for freestyling your own R-Kelly style narratives. I love this DVD.