PDA

View Full Version : Stretching pasta sauce

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 09:10 PM
So I'm gonna make myself some pasta for dinner, but I realized that i don't have enough sauce. Does anyone have any suggestions for something I could add to get a little more pasta sauce?

If anyone says "more pasta sauce" or "ketchup" I'm finally going to throw my support behind [censored] and nominate you for a banning.

11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
yea, i have had to do this before. Just stir it with the noodles for a few minutes. I mean, it's not as good but I think it's the best way for this situation.

edfurlong
11-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Cream is good but I doubt you have that. You can thin it out a bit with a touch of the water you used to boil the pasta. Grilled veggies would bulk it up a little.

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I don't have any cream, what about milk? I also have a little bit of alfredo sauce, although I don't know how good of an idea it would be to mix the two.

11-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Ground beef if you've got it. Maybe some fried onions and garlic? Pasta is really tasteless so you're looking to add something flavorful...

edfurlong
11-11-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm a lazy lazy man so if I had the alfredo sauce I would just sauce half the pasta with one sauce and half with the other.

I Don't think milk will cut it. Do you have any canned broth or anything like that?

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 09:20 PM
I had some pepperoni from making pizza the other day, so I added that and left a little bit of the boiled water. Any othere thoughts?

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup is about as close to canned broth as I'm gonna get.

edtost
11-11-2005, 09:21 PM
cream or olive oil.

11-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Maybe some Borf?

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 09:27 PM
OK, here's the plan. My italian roommate has tons of olive oil, oregano, pesto, marinara seasonings, stuff like that, so I added some olive oil, some oregeano, some garlic powder, some pesto powder and some pepperoni. Now, hopefully this will turn out well. If it doesn't, I'm just gonna get drunk first so that I can't taste it.

Wish me luck.

edfurlong
11-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Does he have canned tomatoes?

Dominic
11-11-2005, 10:24 PM
if you have any tomatoes, go the Rome route: forget actual sauce and just simmer some chopped up tomatoes in a pan with oil, garlic, maybe some capers...just until it's hot and the tomatoes start to get mushy and runny...then pour it over your pasta. It's amazing.

Dominic
11-11-2005, 10:26 PM
also, you can do the White Trash alfredo pasta:

butter
salt
pepper
grated parmesan cheese (if you have any)

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ground beef if you've got it. Maybe some fried onions and garlic? Pasta is really tasteless so you're looking to add something flavorful...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't use ground beef, it will soak up a lot of the sauce and leave you with even less.

11-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Mix the alfredo, mix enough so it lightens the sauce to a light red. Itll be really good.

Blarg
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Cream cheese. Melts nice.

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 11:39 PM
OK, here's what I did. I took the pasta, cooked it up. Y'know, just pasta in water, nothing special. I cooked it, drained it and took what little pasta sauce I had and added it straight onto the pasta. I stirred it around for a little while but it was still pretty thin. Then I added some olive oil my italian roommate had. Still not enough. I added some pepperoni I had from making pizza last week, some oregano, some other various spices. It was alright, although I think I went a little heavy on the olive oil. I 'll hve to remember that for next time. I had a glass of wine with the pasta (although it was red, which I know wasn't the best choice). I have since moved onl to 40s of Old E, which may or may not have been a great choice.

Reef
11-11-2005, 11:45 PM
put tomatoes in a blender?
borrow some from a neighbor
go to the store for more

Blarg
11-11-2005, 11:52 PM
I was kind of wondering why someone would want to eat a barely palatable meal when a trip to the store would have fixed things right up.

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 11:54 PM
The closest grocerey store is far from walking distance away and I don't have a car.

ethan
11-11-2005, 11:59 PM
A red wine is very likely the proper choice here.

PoBoy321
11-12-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I always thought that white wines were the right choce WRT pasta dishes.

ethan
11-12-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I always thought that white wines were the right choce WRT pasta dishes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on the sauce you put on the pasta. A bolognese calls for a red wine, but if you're going with, say, shellfish, olive oil and garlic you'd definitely want white. The more hearty/robust the sauce, the more likely you're going to want a red wine with it. I'm having a little trouble coming up with a concrete rule, but if you pair red wine with red sauce and white with the rest you'll be pretty close to standard dogma.

Of course in the end you should just drink what you like.

11-12-2005, 12:57 AM
The correct play was to correctly sauce what you could with what you had. then saute garlic in olive oil, add a little butter and sage, toss that with pasta, and finish with parm.

TimM
11-12-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mix the alfredo, mix enough so it lightens the sauce to a light red. Itll be really good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the play. Alfredo sauce is mostly cream anyway.

tonypaladino
11-12-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on the sauce you put on the pasta. A bolognese calls for a red wine, but if you're going with, say, shellfish, olive oil and garlic you'd definitely want white. The more hearty/robust the sauce, the more likely you're going to want a red wine with it. I'm having a little trouble coming up with a concrete rule, but if you pair red wine with red sauce and white with the rest you'll be pretty close to standard dogma.

Of course in the end you should just drink what you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last part is the most important wine rule.

Blarg
11-12-2005, 12:30 PM
I love a pinot noir with a hearty red sauce. It's one of the most perfect blends of food and wine.