PDA

View Full Version : Meditations on getting a Vespa

Luv2DriveTT
11-11-2005, 07:56 PM
So as of tomorrow at noon, the TT will be returned to Audi. Yes, my lease is over:( I'd get a new car but to be honest I so rarely drive that I'm not sure if it is worth the monthly payments.

So I have been contemplating getting a Vespa and moving back to downtown NYC. I have never driven a scooter before, as a youth I had dreams of riding a totally mod scooter chromed out to the n'th degree with 10 mirrors - ala Jimmy in the movie Quadrophenia.

Since I'm a neophyte in the scooter world, there are lots of variables.

1) safety - I have lots of metal in my left elbow from a skiing accident, 4 screws holding me together. Perhaps riding a scooter isn't the smartest?

2) comfort - Will it be too cold in NYC to even consider riding 9 months out of the year?

3) clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

4) security - is there a theft problem? Where do I leave my bike when I am not riding it? How much is motorcycle parking usually in NYC parking lots?

5) Old or new - The classic bikes look the best, but maintenance is a bitch . The newer styled bikes are much friendlier and faster, but they are all automatic (I'm used to driving a stick, so I assume a clutch will be a no-brainer for me).

6) training - how do I learn to ride this thing? Should I get my motorcycle license before or after I get the scooter?

7) timing - I am moving to NYC in January I think. Should I get the bike now ($0 down, no interest for 365 days - program ends at start of December) or later (no need to change insurance/registration)

Lastly... what is your opinion of TT becoming a scooter boy?
?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Colonel Kataffy
11-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Men should act like men, and light beer should taste like beer.

dibbs
11-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I vote on getting a decent used car or one with a low lease that you wont hate driving. Eh, scooters, I think I'm biased though.

SomethingClever
11-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Scooters are cool. But you might as well get a motorcycle.

I recommend this one.

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/ducati/images/Ducati%20Monster%20620%20ie.jpg

It's Italian, just like your Vespa, so you'll very much be riding in style.

To answer some of your other questions.

1) I don't see how this makes a difference. Riding a scooter or motorcycle is inherently risky... regardless of previous injury. I don't see how this injury makes you any more susceptible to further injury.

2) Just bundle up and you'll be fine. It kind of sucks riding in the rain, though.

3) Good gloves and a thick jacket are important. At low city speeds you don't need to worry about full leathers or moulded body armor or anything like that. Just tough thick jeans and a thick jacket that won't flap around too much.

4) Can't help you there. Just don't know.

5) Get the Ducati. Take it to the dealer a lot.

6) Take a safety course. MSF?

7) Get it now; take the course, learn how to ride before you enter NYC traffic.

Finally, you will enjoy the scooter, even though I've been harping on the Ducati. Just learn how to ride safely.

Notorious G.O.B.
11-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Aren't the subways a lot more convenient than driving?

callydrias
11-11-2005, 08:16 PM
I've only ridden motorcycles, not scooters, and there are reasons for that. At the top of the list are: I want to be able to go fast when the mood/need strikes; I don't want to look like a douche; and I suspect it may actually repel women. There are more reasons, but I'll let others elaborate.

I can't imagine my only transportation in NY being on two wheels. I live in Tucson, AZ and I don't ride much in the coldest part of the winter. It's one thing to be able to comfortably stand 45 degree weather and quite another to do so when you're generating your own 40+mph winds. You can get riding gear that might keep you warm enough, but I imagine it would be pretty heavy duty and look completely mismatched on a Vespa. Also, consider road conditions. It's a bitch to ride in precipitation or on wet or icy roads.

If you decide to 2-wheel it, get your motorocycle license first. Take a class through a community college or something like that. It will help a ton.

Regarding security, you can get a wheel lock for protection, but nothing can stop people from just picking up your bike/scooter and putting it in the back of their pickup.

Conclusion: Get a motorcycle if you want something to tool around on when the weather is warmer, but have something with doors for winter.

Ulysses
11-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Vespas are cute for chicks.

rmarotti
11-11-2005, 08:22 PM
And?

lapoker17
11-11-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some kind of flowing scarf would need to be a part of any riding ensemble.

Los Feliz Slim
11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Based upon almost zero empirical knowledge about you or Vespas, I don't think you should get a Vespa. If it looks like a moped, and acts like a moped, it's probably a moped. Except Italian and more expensive.

Ulysses
11-11-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps an ascot!

chuddo
11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
get a sweet classic royal enfield.

will help you pick up the vespa chicks that might otherwise assume you like men.

siccjay
11-11-2005, 08:41 PM
NEVERMIND SCOOTER PICS ARE TOO BIG [censored]

rusellmj
11-11-2005, 08:43 PM
The scooter has come a long way I guess.

http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/1589/x9large2ee.jpg

JihadOnTheRiver
11-11-2005, 08:52 PM
The Vespa dealership in San Diego is in a prime part of Hillcrest. Hillcrest has the second most gays per capita in America. Enjoy.

Luv2DriveTT
11-11-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deep down inside I've always had a vision that this is me - http://www.modculture.co.uk/images/culture/pier2.jpg http://members.tripod.com/~MrSuave/jimmy.gif

I'm not a motorcyle kind of guy...

Luv2DriveTT
11-11-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm way ahead in the scootering clothing department then.

Long flowing scarf - check

miajag81
11-11-2005, 08:56 PM
No. Just no.

The Goober
11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I have a vespa, but I don't really drive it any more since I upgraded to a motorcycle. My thoughts:

1) If you are riding in heavy traffic, I don't think a scooter is any more dangerous than a bicycle. Most people who really hurt themselves on motorcycles do so at high speeds, which you won't be going at. As for getting hit by another car, well that could happen on foot, and then you wouldn't be wearing a helmet.

2) you can do it, but you'll have to *really* bundle up.

3) not sure here - it doesn't get nearly as cold in seattle so I rode all in winter in jeans and a jacket. I also looked like a tool most of time anyways, so no help there.

4) no idea about NYC. Never had a problem in seattle.

5) I don't know if I get an old one unless you have at least some interest in learning how to work on it. Even if you don't fix it much yourself, being able to figure out what's wrong will save you a lot of hassle and money. The good news is that they are really simple to work on.

6) If you get a new one, there's about 0 learning curve. You twist the handle and it goes - very, very easy to drive. When I got mine I was wicked lazy (and a little cheap) and got a 50cc, which means that I didn't have to get an endorsement. If you need an endorsement in NYC, I don't think they'll let you drive it off the lot unless you can show one.

7) I would think that if you buy it now you could probably get a better price - its a [censored] time of year to try and sell these things.

As far as being a scooter boy, I think it takes a real man to drive a girly vehicle /images/graemlins/smile.gif As to the reactions I've gotten from females, it's usually quite positive (they want me to take them for a ride). I don't doubt that there are women who wouldn't look twice at your after you ride up in one, but on the other hand I've actually heard lots of chicks tell me that they hate "crotch rockets" and feel like guys who tear around in loud sport bikes must have something to prove.

daryn
11-11-2005, 09:04 PM
when i was in florence for a month i rented a scooter to fly around town with. it was pretty intimidating at first.. for the first few days to a week i would try to only go out on it during the wee hours of the night or very very early morning when nobody else was out. this also helped me learn the city.

after the first week or so i was super confident and didn't feel nervous anymore. i went out during the day and in thick traffic. italian drivers are crazy, and soon enough i became assimilated. it's funny.. first few days i didn't even want to go out during the day, now i'm passing busses on the left.

anyway, it was so much fun that i convinced myself i would have to purchase one when i got back. the problem is, nobody rides scooters here. in italy EVERYONE rides them. and EVERYONE looks goofy on them, but nobody cares somehow. there you are with this scooter and big ass goofy shield on the front, in your goofy ass helmet and nobody cares.. so it's ok. i can't picture myself riding that thing around in the united states.

naturally i began thinking about motorcycle style, and i still am. i like this ducati angle, i must say.

SomethingClever
11-11-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like this ducati angle, i must say.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, my various trips to italy were what got me infatuated with two wheel transportation as well.

same dilemma.... i would have been happy with the scoot, but nobody here rides them.

i got a used yamaha motorcycle for $800 and it was soooo fricking sweet.

i now have a honda magna (which i finally got the title for, in case anyone read my thread about that and was wondering), but i still aspire to the Ducati.

omg, get a ducati. you'll be my hero.

SomethingClever
11-11-2005, 09:13 PM
The choice is clear.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/ducati/images/Ducati%20Monster%20620%20ie.jpg

chuddo
11-11-2005, 09:22 PM
ducati is sweet. possible this is going to be a gift to myself in the springtime though:
http://www.uncommonmotorcycles.com/images/royalenfield/black65.jpg

Luv2DriveTT
11-11-2005, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The choice is clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, that is mega-lame. Its a Piagio, the parent company of Vespa. I was thinking about this model - the LX (automatic)
http://www.vespausa.com/Products/images/lg_602892M.jpg

or the PX Manual (but requires lots of maintainance, not as easy to ride, and has the classic body frame)
http://www.vespausa.com/Products/images/lg_602888M.jpg

Ulysses
11-11-2005, 09:24 PM
If you were in Italy, different story. Here, Vespas are for chicks.

Luv2DriveTT
11-11-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were in Italy, different story. Here, Vespas are for chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only know guys who ride Vespas in NYC, and I know tons of girls who are into them. When I think of scooters I don't think of Italy, I think of London... the mod scene in the 60's and the multiple revivals after. And my girl loves Vespas, so I have no problems there /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ethan
11-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Downtown NY is probably not the place to learn to ride.

I'm getting a motorcycle one of these days, but it's going to have to wait until I leave LA. I was sort of wavering on that one - thinking about maybe picking up a bike because I just got a job that's going to require 25K miles per year of commute. Then, about a week ago a friend of mine was riding on the 10 downtown and got run over. Traffic was going about 35mph, a truck clipped him and knocked him in front of an 84-year-old man, who was driving an age-appropriate car (Oldsmobile or some such. Not much ground clearance.) He stopped the car with my friend doubled-over and pinned beneath it. He was stuck there for 5-10 seconds before people got the driver to pull forward. A semi had blocked 3 lanes of traffic behind the accident so no more cars could get through. His injuries were:

1) small scrape on his right wrist where his glove and jacket met
2) ribs were sore for a day or two
3) ass was a little sore where he'd landed on the pavement.

After being _run over_.

I figure he used up all the luck of every single motorcyclist in the state for awhile, so I'm not going to tempt fate.

lapoker17
11-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I had yet to consider this, but given the relative nature of things, I believe that for a TT owner, the Vespa would be the next logical rung up the ladder we call masculinity.

So, yeah, I vote yes.

Ulysses
11-11-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had yet to consider this, but given the relative nature of things, I believe that for a TT owner, the Vespa would be the next logical rung up the ladder we call masculinity.

So, yeah, I vote yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

cwsiggy
11-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Rocco the Restaurant guy drives a Vespa and he gets lots of ladies.

Emmitt2222
11-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm one of those people who really doesn't care what other people think and I loved riding those scooters so much in Europe that I vote yes. They are much easier to use than motorcycles, you can just hop on and off them and in some places you can park them just like bikes. I was thinking about getting one thinking that I wouldn't have to register it and get insurance, but you do and I think you need a motorcycle liscence anyway. After I found that out I figured it wasn't quite as easy so I dropped the idea. One of the best reasons to get it is that you save a crapload on gas.

ozyman
11-11-2005, 10:24 PM
After reading the OP I knew this thread had comic potential. After reading the replies I was not disappointed.

Klepton
11-11-2005, 10:25 PM
now all you need is this:
http://www.tranq.com/temp/flcl_guitar.jpg

just watch out for her:
http://img17.exs.cx/img17/8965/haruko.jpg

MaxPower
11-11-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

deep down inside I've always had a vision that this is me - http://www.modculture.co.uk/images/culture/pier2.jpg http://members.tripod.com/~MrSuave/jimmy.gif

I'm not a motorcyle kind of guy...

[/ QUOTE ]

You also need a Zoot Suit - white jacket with side vents 5 inches long.

Don't take advice from these guys. Normal rules do not apply to you.

The Vespa is cool, but too impractical for me.

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Go for it. If your gonna be living in Manhattan, then any type of Scooter/Motorcycle >> Car

SomethingClever
11-11-2005, 10:47 PM
also, daryn, if you actually consider getting a ducati, take the safety course and maybe get a cheapo bike to start.

driving the ducati will be like flying a jet. you need to know what you're doing. it will go faster than any car you've ever driven.

not to say it can't be pimped around town casually, *ahem TT*, but it is a beast of a machine.

also, about 8.5 grand brand new. cheaper than a kia.

11-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Get a cheap street bike, faster...scooters are like fat chicks, they are fun to ride until your friends see you on one. But, you are def super cool if you are the type of guy who could actually pull it off. I would never be able to, hence the bias.

bholdr
11-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Q: How is a Vespa like a fat chick?

A: They're fun to ride till yer freinds see you on 'em.

11-11-2005, 10:54 PM
wow. first a TT, now a Vespa? I bet you'll look absolutely fabulous on one!

another aside: I cannot think of one reason to buy a Ducati other than they sound cool. please enlighten me.

SomethingClever
11-11-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

another aside: I cannot think of one reason to buy a Ducati other than they sound cool. please enlighten me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean versus a Japanese bike? Or do you mean in general.

Honestly, the Japanese bikes are going to be cheaper and more reliable (Suzuki SV650).

But the Ducatis sound cool, look cool, and just flat-out are cool.

What's not to get?

11-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Well, the ridiculous maintenance intervals coupled with the price of getting the service done. The fact that Ducati never wins shootouts based on MY priorities in a bike: handling, comfort, power delivery. And lastly, the snooty attitude of Ducati owners.

Eurotrash
11-11-2005, 11:34 PM
a Vespa in America??

Liberace gay.

daryn
11-11-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it will go faster than any car you've ever driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah... that is definitely NOT what i'm looking for. i just think it looks cool

11-12-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

1) safety - I have lots of metal in my left elbow from a skiing accident, 4 screws holding me together. Perhaps riding a scooter isn't the smartest?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't worry about the elbow, as long as you have a good range of motion.
[ QUOTE ]

2) comfort - Will it be too cold in NYC to even consider riding 9 months out of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]
I ride my motorcycle until temperatures get down to about... 45 farenheit, and most consider that lunacy. It's goddamned cold riding a motorcycle in the winter, and riding with snow on the ground is more or less suicidal. More than anything this depends on you. But know that when you ride in the rain for any length of time, your balls will inevitably get soaked, and that my friend is a special kind of misery.
[ QUOTE ]

3) clothing - what kind of clothing should I get to stay warm, while avoiding looking like a complete tool?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can either be safe, or look good. Generally those are your two choices when it comes to motorcycling gear. Either buy good gear that you look like a power ranger in (sportbike stuff like I wear), or don't be safe.
[ QUOTE ]

4) security - is there a theft problem? Where do I leave my bike when I am not riding it? How much is motorcycle parking usually in NYC parking lots?

[/ QUOTE ]
Motorcycles are easy to steal, Vespas even easier. So, I hope your downtown apt is going to have underground/gated parking. You can get some decent locks/alarms but the bottom line remains, if someone wants to steal it, they will.
[ QUOTE ]

5) Old or new - The classic bikes look the best, but maintenance is a bitch . The newer styled bikes are much friendlier and faster, but they are all automatic (I'm used to driving a stick, so I assume a clutch will be a no-brainer for me).

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you'll have any problems with the clutch, a motor that small will have a really light clutch feel, your arm shouldn't even get sore (unless you are actually limp-wristed? I had to take one shot. :P). It's a lot like "old car vs. new car?", can you wrench on anything yourself? Alternatively, can you afford to have someone else wrench on it? You'll have to weigh what the authenticity of an old one is worth to you in terms of dollars and cents.
[ QUOTE ]

6) training - how do I learn to ride this thing? Should I get my motorcycle license before or after I get the scooter?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can take an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course pretty well anywhere. If you get an automatic scooter there's a very good chance you won't even need a motorcycle license but check with DMV in your area as this varies state-to-state.
[ QUOTE ]

7) timing - I am moving to NYC in January I think. Should I get the bike now ($0 down, no interest for 365 days - program ends at start of December) or later (no need to change insurance/registration)

[/ QUOTE ]
How much of a pain in the ass is it to change insurance/reg, and how much are you going to ride between now and say, March (my guess is none, fwiw)?

Oh, if you are so inclined most major brands/models have forums dedicated to them so if you want to look into Vespa's a little more I'm sure there is a similar resource to 2+2 for Vespa's.

ethan
11-12-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You can either be safe, or look good. Generally those are your two choices when it comes to motorcycling gear. Either buy good gear that you look like a power ranger in (sportbike stuff like I wear), or don't be safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to point people towards my earlier post in this thread detailing how a friend of mine was RUN THE [censored] OVER. He was wearing full armor, and ended up with a scraped wrist. I've hurt myself worse walking into stuff.

The power ranger route is a good one.

Dominic
11-12-2005, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry, but no chick is ever gonna want to bone you after seeing you ride a scooter. Be a man: get a Harley or stick with a car.

Luv2DriveTT
11-12-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but no chick is ever gonna want to bone you after seeing you ride a scooter. Be a man: get a Harley or stick with a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have no problem in this department, the general rules don't apply for me (thanks for that Max Power). I took a poll tonight with the women hanging out at the Merc Bar, and most every one had something positive to say. I also asked the players in my live 10/20 game tonight (mostly hagged NYC old timers) and everyone oohed and ahhed when I showed them photos of the bike. Perhaps no chick would ever want to bone Dom if he rode a scooter /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had two cousins die on Harleys, and I watched my father shatter his left leg riding one when I was 4. I think I'll pass on a motorcycle, besides I live in NYC, I doubt I'll ever go faster than 40mph. I am only considering this for going short distances and running errands for the most part, not for going the distance.

Dominic
11-12-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have no problem in this department, the general rules don't apply for me (thanks for that Max Power). I took a poll tonight with the women hanging out at the Merc Bar, and most every one had something positive to say. I also asked the players in my live 10/20 game tonight (mostly hagged NYC old timers) and everyone oohed and ahhed when I showed them photos of the bike. Perhaps no chick would ever want to bone Dom if he rode a scooter /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had two cousins die on Harleys, and I watched my father shatter his left leg riding one when I was 4. I think I'll pass on a motorcycle, besides I live in NYC, I doubt I'll ever go faster than 40mph. I am only considering this for going short distances and running errands for the most part, not for going the distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm only giving ya chit. I think Vespas are cool.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

rusty JEDI
11-12-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the ridiculous maintenance intervals coupled with the price of getting the service done. The fact that Ducati never wins shootouts based on MY priorities in a bike: handling, comfort, power delivery. And lastly, the snooty attitude of Ducati owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am with the badguy on this one. IMO Ducati has become the ultimate poser bike, think Tom Cruise.

As for the sv650 reccommendation from Something Clever. That is what i ride and its more than enough. It also sounds very good and has a nice roar most sportbikes dont have because its a v-twin. Throw on a nice can and it sounds amazing.

rJ

lighterjobs
11-12-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is pretty good. It reminds me of that jude law movie, "Alfie".

Luv2DriveTT
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is pretty good. It reminds me of that jude law movie, "Alfie".

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine the NY native version of Alfie... thats me. And yes, this movie was an influence on my decision.

jnalpak
11-12-2005, 11:00 AM
VESPA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

BTW, if it gets cold you can have someone pee on you while you ride up 1st...

11-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I don't ride on the back of scooters.

IndieMatty
11-18-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't ride on the back of scooters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the "welcome our newest member jessica biel" and couldn't wait to read the first post.

There's nothing wrong with buying a vespa, it's more cheesy than gay though.

swede123
11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Just get a bicycle. If you need to go farther than ten miles or whatever just ride the subway or grab a cab.

Swede

TiK
11-18-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just get a bicycle. If you need to go farther than ten miles or whatever just ride the subway or grab a cab.

[/ QUOTE ]
As for Vespa attire, as someone mentioned before, a long (colorful) flowy scarf, of course it must go with the color of your Vespa.

bennyk
11-18-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt I'll ever go faster than 40mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you're right about one thing.

bk