PDA

View Full Version : Have I lost my marbles?

Greg J
11-11-2005, 06:29 PM
This just happened.

2/4 PokerStars full ring

Second hand at the table, so no real read on BB.

I'm dealt A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. It's folded around to me. I raise, BB calls.

Flop K/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, BB raises, I 3 bet...

I don't intend to put another dime in this pot unimproved. What do you think?

Vote4Pedro
11-11-2005, 06:33 PM
holla pwn

gharp
11-11-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't intend to put another dime in this pot. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not so bad. I wouldn't make a habit out of doing this against unknowns. And I also think, if you are going to do it, you have to lead the turn if he just calls, and make that the last money you put in the pot.

11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
BB calls.

Turn 8 of bricks.
Hero ?

11-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't think that you will fold so many people with a 3bet on the flop for the same reason I wouldn't fold to a cap: that looks so incredibly stupid that I think it is worth one SB and a check/fold on the turn unless you plan to never steal again on that table. I know that image is not so important online, but folding to a cap after 3betting is something, everybody notices...
Maybe you should have tried a check-raise. That's a stronger move and doesn't look so weird if you fold to a 3bet.

Greg J
11-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Hmmm. gharp suggest a bet here and I'm not convinced he's wrong. That would be the absolute LAST money I would put in the pot UI.

Vote4Pedro
11-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm with gharp on this one

11-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Hero bets. BB calls.

River 5 of suck.
Hero?

milesdyson
11-11-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
check fold turn after he calls the flop 3-bet? if he checks through on the turn, check fold river?

this is the new line:

bet/3-bet, check/fold, check/fold.

it will be called the "just kidding." and all poker players around will strive to pull off successful just kiddings.

Redd
11-11-2005, 06:46 PM
I think you've done a great job of shocking all of us. Now I'm interested in hearing why you decided to play it this way.

edit: I'm especially curious why you picked this time to try it:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MrWookie47
11-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm partially w/ gharp. I don't think you'll get very many immediate folds to your 3bet. People just don't do that. Hell, not many 2+2ers do that, and we're some of the finest folders on teh intertron. If you're going to pull this stunt, you have to be willing to fire at the turn. That's a 2 BB investment on a (semi) bluff into a pot that, at the time of your decision to 3bet, is 3.5 BB less rake. Does the combination of the times that you're ahead plus the times you fold a better hand plus the times you draw out on a pair add up to 40%? Does that make up for the times you hit an A on the turn and end up paying off a K? Blech. In order to pull this, I'm going to have to have a strong desire to show this hand down, in which case I'll want a read, and in which case I'll be wanting to get to showdown cheaply (rather than tossing chips around) anyway.

Greg J
11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
I like you dude. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bet/fold.

Greg J
11-11-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
check fold turn after he calls the flop 3-bet? if he checks through on the turn, check fold river?

this is the new line:

it will be called the "just kidding." and all poker players around will strive to pull off successful just kiddings.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the funniest thing I read all day.

EDIT: The "just kidding" line should be, as gharp and others have argue something like bet/3 bet/fold the flop, bet/fold the turn UI, check/fold the river UI and bet/fold improved.

11-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I agree.

nomadtla
11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the new line:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the "just kidding" line is vastly improved if we add the posibility of folding that flop to a cap.

Just kidding
Line for aproval:
bet/3bet/fold, check/fold, check/fold

milesdyson
11-11-2005, 07:03 PM
here are some other lines that the just kidding has prompted me to consider:

the "just playing" -
checkraise/cap, check fold, bet/3bet/fold to cap on river if turn checks through.

the "no really, i was joking" -
bet/3bet, bet/3bet, open fold river

Greg J
11-11-2005, 07:06 PM
My "just kidding" line worked, and he folded the flop to my 3 bet. I suspected a resteal for some reason.

Reqtech
11-11-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My "just kidding" line worked, and he folded the flop to my 3 bet. I suspected a resteal for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you typed in PWND and showed your cards so that would haunt BB for minutes if not hours.

nomadtla
11-11-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I acctually had a LAG donk do this to me the other night, when the river made a 3 flush and we were HU. I had a set. Man and I thought he was bad, it turns out he was much better than me that's a line I'd never thought of.

numeri
11-11-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I acctually had a LAG donk do this to me the other night, when the river made a 3 flush and we were HU. I had a set. Man and I thought he was bad, it turns out he was much better than me that's a line I'd never thought of.

[/ QUOTE ]
Miles is full of [censored].... that we've never thought of.

11-11-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for laughs

Hero has 33

flop 322
turn 2
river 2

Greg J
11-11-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you've done a great job of shocking all of us. Now I'm interested in hearing why you decided to play it this way.

edit: I'm especially curious why you picked this time to try it:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I typed out a responce and then lost connection and my post. Basically I was thinking in my mind "this smells like a resteal."

It's not that surprising -- this is where we post our screw ups after all. I'm prone to spewage on occasion. I didn't feel like getting pushed around my first hand. That is a leak I know. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Is this a test? ...did you read Wookie's 2+2 article?...

MrWookie47
11-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I didn't argue that you should open complete any two in the SB. This hand is a solid raise in this spot. It's things like Q5, J6, 98, and the like that you might think about stealing with, but for which it wouldn't be a value raise.

MrWookie47
11-11-2005, 07:23 PM
If it's a resteal, why do you want him to stop bluffing at you with what is probably a worse hand?

Greg J
11-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I think A5o is a pretty common raise here preflop. It's my postflop play that sucked donkey balls.

11-11-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This just happened.

2/4 PokerStars full ring

I'm dealt A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the SB. It's folded around to me. I raise, BB calls.

Flop K/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, BB raises, I 3 bet...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is standard for me. And I fire on the turn as my last bet. Is this really read dependent with that board?

TripleH68
11-11-2005, 07:27 PM
It is a little kooky without a read, however...

A first impression at the table can stick hard and if you are caught you can try to use it to your advantage.

Colonel Kataffy
11-11-2005, 07:27 PM
Without knowing much about him, he is probably just hyper defensive about his blind. More times than not, you're just betting for value here.

Greg J
11-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Would you suggest:

Flop: bet/call.
Turn: check/call.
River: bet/fold?

milesdyson
11-11-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Flop: bet/call.
Turn: check/call.
River: bet/fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm not saying i support either of these lines, but one that is, in my opinion, far better than bet/call, check/call, bet/fold is bet/call, check/raise.

SlantNGo
11-12-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not saying i support either of these lines, but one that is, in my opinion, far better than bet/call, check/call, bet/fold is bet/call, check/raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line and would consider taking it, because our kicker sucks. Ace high is probably the best hand here.

By the way, I open-complete A5 or lower here. I used to raise them, but I like completing then betting the flop.