PDA

View Full Version : Call an all-in Resteal? PP Super Thursday

DonT77
11-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Blinds were at 200/400 and I was in the SB with 10000 chips. I had been playing aggressively and I had open-raised 3x from the SB vs the BB three times recently. The BB was very Tight and very Aggressive. I got QJs and decided to raise to 1200, the BB pushed 8000. I sensed that this player was getting frustrated at my blind-stealing aggression, but I folded anyway since I wasn't going to call off 4/5 of my stack with QJs. What hands would you have called with here?

Or, discuss general stealing and restealing situations- What if you've raised the same guy's blind 3 times in a row and you get a hand like QJs that is too good to fold but that you'll probably have to release to a push-reraise, do you still raise or do you flat call? What if the stacks were much deeper, what type of hand would you need to 3-bet if the BB re-reraised you say 3x?

11-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd much rather be the one doing the pushing than the calling. If I'm pretty sure I'm going to get pushed if I raise, I might limp and then push if BB raises. QJs isn't a hand you really mind seeing a flop with, if he decides to check behind. You can probably pick up fold equity against some hands that tie or beat you, like small pairs and maybe some Kx type hands.

This is a play that works better in the SB than on the button or the CO.

woodguy
11-11-2005, 03:21 PM
I usually complete a lot in the SB when its folded to me, so I can get him to start laying down later when the blinds are bigger and I start raising more often.

It also give me a feel if he's they type of guy who will raise when I complete so I can trap later with a big hand. Basically, I try to be fairly "friendly" to begin with, so he doesn't start playing back out of spite (until later /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

In your case, where you have raised twice previously, I like a complete, because there is the chance he will just check, but also, if he raises, you are deep enough to make a loose call and see a flop if he doesn't raise too much.

I think blind play is very player specific. I like to see flops cheap unless I'm raising for value, or the BB has shown to be very weak.

I fold there too.

Regards,
Woodguy

Yuv
11-11-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually complete a lot in the SB when its folded to me, so I can get him to start laying down later when the blinds are bigger and I start raising more often.

It also give me a feel if he's they type of guy who will raise when I complete so I can trap later with a big hand. Basically, I try to be fairly "friendly" to begin with, so he doesn't start playing back out of spite (until later /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

In your case, where you have raised twice previously, I like a complete, because there is the chance he will just check, but also, if he raises, you are deep enough to make a loose call and see a flop if he doesn't raise too much.

I think blind play is very player specific. I like to see flops cheap unless I'm raising for value, or the BB has shown to be very weak.

I fold there too.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this post. I feel that soooo many players are busting over blinds war way too early in the tournament and for no specific reason other than spite.

People are VERY touchy about SB's raises and this could be worked in your adventage. As Woodguy said, when you have a good read about the player on your left, you can take adventage of this later and trap him with big hands.