PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Western of All Time - Second Round

swede123
11-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Round one brought a few upsets, but all one and two seeds ended up persevering. This round is going to get a lot nastier, at least for me. The Wild Bunch vs. Josey Wales, shesh.

In terms of the Wayne/Eastwood matchup there are still ten John Wayne movies in the tourney, while six of Eastwood's remain.

Anyway, here are today's match-ups...

swede123
11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
Damn poll. First the starting time to vote got all screwed up, and now the poll questions appear out of order! Sorry about the confusion.

Swede

diebitter
11-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Nice work, Swede!

You've done a man's job, sir!

SL__72
11-11-2005, 02:03 PM
I was just going to ask you when round two was going to start... haha.

Ouch, tough matchup for The Shootist...

I am going to be pissed when a stupid Kevin Costner movie knocks out one of my favorite movies (Rio Bravo)

swede123
11-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks. All might be lost though, if Dances with Wolves end up beating my all-time John Wayne fave, Rio Bravo. Seriously, how can anything compete with the movie that features a musical number starring Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Walter Brennan.

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, at least Rio Bravo made it out of the first round. My personal favorite western (best? I dunno-but it's my favorite) The Long Riders got smacked down by Shane in the first round. Long Riders was the only movie on the whole list w/ a Ry Cooder score, and still, already gone.

*sniff*

diebitter
11-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Looks like we might be forgetting the Alamo, given current voting /images/graemlins/wink.gif

SL__72
11-11-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. All might be lost though, if Dances with Wolves end up beating my all-time John Wayne fave, Rio Bravo. Seriously, how can anything compete with the movie that features a musical number starring Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Walter Brennan.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... exactly! Walter Brennan is hillarious in this movie.

fyodor
11-11-2005, 02:29 PM
WTF? The Wild Bunch going out in round 2? Did anyone who voted against it even see it? How is this possible?

swede123
11-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Well,

Josey Wales kind of is to westerns what Scarface is to mobster movies. Not among the best movies in the category, but very popular, lots of mainstream fame etc. Essentially you're right, people are going with the movie they are more familiar with. Not that there's anything wrong with voting for Josey Wales, it's top five Clint Eastwood movie for me.

Swede

JPinAZ
11-11-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? The Wild Bunch going out in round 2? Did anyone who voted against it even see it? How is this possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the toughest choice of the poll. I think both movies are great, but I like the story of Josey Wales better.

"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

CollinEstes
11-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I guess it doesn't count because it was a mini series but in my book...

Lonesome Dove straight works all these movies.

offTopic
11-11-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, on one hand, you've got Ben Johnson and Warren Oates (at least I think it was those two) frolicking around in wine vats with a couple of putas and in the other you've got John Quade suggesting someone do up Ruth Gordon AND Chief Dan George getting down with that young girl.

I say kick 'em BOTH off the island! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Colonel Kataffy
11-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Who is voting for Dances with wolves--YUCK. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

imported_anacardo
11-11-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well,

Josey Wales kind of is to westerns what Scarface is to mobster movies. Not among the best movies in the category, but very popular, lots of mainstream fame etc. Essentially you're right, people are going with the movie they are more familiar with. Not that there's anything wrong with voting for Josey Wales, it's top five Clint Eastwood movie for me.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a spot-on analysis.

I /images/graemlins/heart.gif what you /images/graemlins/heart.gif, sir.

VIKING RANGERIDERS 4 LIFE