PDA

View Full Version : interior decorating (crown molding type of stuff)

mostsmooth
11-11-2005, 09:44 AM
i have a room to paint
normally i would tape off the ceiling and paint the walls.
today i was thinking about crown molding.
crown molding would be way out of place in this room i think though. then i started thinking about using 1/4 round where the wall meets the ceiling. one huge benefit would be painting would be much easier as i am suck at painting.
i would paint the molding probably the color of the wall(and then nail it up).
has anybody ever seen/done this or am i totally retarded?

turnipmonster
11-11-2005, 10:20 AM
dude don't paint the molding the same color as the wall, it looks retarded. also, generally you nail it up and then paint.

mostsmooth
11-11-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude don't paint the molding the same color as the wall, it looks retarded. also, generally you nail it up and then paint.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmm, your suggesting a third color?thats a good idea(and you do realize im talking 1/4 round here, not regular crown moldong, right?)
also, im painting it first, thats the point. if i put it up first, then theres two seems i have to paint good.

Shajen
11-11-2005, 10:35 AM
Absolutely paint it a different color.

Also, why not use normal crown molding?

mostsmooth
11-11-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely paint it a different color.

Also, why not use normal crown molding?

[/ QUOTE ]
i think crown molding would be out of place in this particular room.but ill rethink it

turnipmonster
11-11-2005, 10:42 AM
just don't suck at painting /images/graemlins/smile.gif. go slow, take your time, use a good, appropriate cut brush (I like china bristle even for latex). yes I know you are talking quarter round, but it will still look bad, trust me.

mostsmooth
11-11-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just don't suck at painting /images/graemlins/smile.gif. go slow, take your time, use a good, appropriate cut brush (I like china bristle even for latex). yes I know you are talking quarter round, but it will still look bad, trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]
i cant imagine how it would look better to put it up then paint it rather than painting it first? i realize i would have to touch up some spots after nailing, but other than that?

turnipmonster
11-11-2005, 11:32 AM
any kind of molding (quarter round included) looks bad when painted the same color as the wall/ceiling. you generally want to use a lighter semigloss as opposed to a flat.

mostsmooth
11-11-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any kind of molding (quarter round included) looks bad when painted the same color as the wall/ceiling. you generally want to use a lighter semigloss as opposed to a flat.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, ive already agreed to that. i thought you meant it would look better if i painted it after i nailed it up as im planning to paint it then nail it.

SossMan
11-11-2005, 11:41 AM
all i know is that every goddamned time I have to paint a room in my house I tell myself that I'm hiring someone next time. To paraphrase a quote from Mitch:
Painting is like pancakes, all exciting at first by by the end you just fuking sick of 'em.

11-11-2005, 11:45 AM
First of all it's Crown MoUlding, with a "U". People who aren't in the profession don't know this.

Secondly, don't use quarter-round. This looks like sh*t. You might as well use wood-paneling while you're at it.

Thirdly, there is nothing wrong with having crown moulding that matches the wall in color. The shape of the moulding itself will provide shading which will allow it to be "seen". People are just assuming that it would disappear b/c white on white or whatever. This isn't necessarily true.

And paint the d.amn stuff FIRST then put it up, jeez. why the F would you put it up THEN paint???

Paint it, nail it in, then once it's up you can cover the nail holes if you want, with paint.

Good luck.

mostsmooth
11-11-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First of all it's Crown MoUlding, with a "U". People who aren't in the profession don't know this.

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont have to spell it, i just have to put it up. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
but thanks for the tips, i will consider them all /images/graemlins/cool.gif

11-11-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont have to spell it, i just have to put it up. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
but thanks for the tips, i will consider them all /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't talking to you, talking to the jokers who were giving you advice and don't even know how to spell crown moulding.

Maybe they're contractors...or something. /images/graemlins/grin.gif