PDA

View Full Version : Need a new computer.... help me pick a laptop/desktop

TheMetetron
11-11-2005, 03:47 AM
Alright, I don't really NEED a new computer, but I'm moving to Vegas in 2 months so I want a new one for my office.

I'm a little unsure as to whether I want a laptop or desktop though. I already have a laptop (that sucks, no battery, AC power is retarded and takes like 5 minutes to set up everytime I move it) that is decent (like 3 years old) but it's kinda slow when 8 tabling with PT/PA.

I already own a 2001FP. If I get another laptop, I've got my 2nd monitor already. If I get a desktop, I've gotta buy 1/2 more 2001FP / the new, bigger dell LCDs.

Money isn't much of an object, but I obviously want the cheapest route possible. I'm not building it myself, so don't even go there.

What's my best option each way? I want a P4 or laptop equivalent, 1GB RAM, TV Tuner (if I get a desktop), video card I'm not to picky on (something that will work with the tuner, HD isn't too much of a concern as I have a 250 gig external, dual layer dvd burner, etc. Basically the standard stuff with a TV tuner added if I get a desktop (because I'll probably get a 3rd monitor and it'd be nice to be able to watch TV on it.

What are my options/cost for both a desktop and laptop to meet my needs. Thanks for any help.

cwsiggy
11-11-2005, 02:35 PM
I've been looking into laptops and a great site is of course

http://www.notebookreview.com/

check out this sticky guide on their forums on how to buy a laptop

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=18483

You can also fill out the "what should I buy" form on the forum and people will recommend a laptop for you!!

You will want a Pentium M chip as it has the best battery life by far - 5 hours or so depending on system.

Keep in mind the new 64 bit OS from Microsoft is around the corner so you may want to get a chipset that can handle it, but it's not super vital.

desktops - eh - get a laptop

swiftrhett
11-11-2005, 02:51 PM
If you're 8 tabling, I strongly suggest that you get a Desktop. Maybe you could get a $5k Alienware laptop that would be ok too.

TheMetetron
11-13-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're 8 tabling, I strongly suggest that you get a Desktop. Maybe you could get a $5k Alienware laptop that would be ok too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to think I want a desktop too.

Where can I customize a desktop online besides Dell that is reliable?

Jeff W
11-13-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Where can I customize a desktop online besides Dell that is reliable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Monarch Computers.