PDA

View Full Version : My Women and Gender Studies Course for next semester

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 01:59 AM
So I'm trying to get an internship for next semester and for it I need to have Wednesdays free. As a result, most of my courses are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I'm going to take one class on Wednesday nights just so that I don't have 10 hours of straight classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The course is in the Women and Gender Studies program, is entititled "Women and the Law" and has the following course description:

[ QUOTE ]
This course will introduce students to the law of sex discrimination and women's rights, with particular emphasis on issues of employment discrimination (including sexual harassment), violence against women, marriage and divorce law, and reproductive and abortion rights. It will consider the assumptions and biases that have shaped the law in these areas, tracing the historical development of constitutional and statutory protection for women's rights, and exploring feminist and liberal critiques of the current state of the law. Finally, while the course's primary focus will be on American law, it will also introduce students to other countries; approaches to rape law and abortion rights, comparing and contrasting the assumptions about women that underlie different legal systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I just accept the fact that I will spend the majority of this class getting told that I'm a miserable chauvinist piece of [censored], or do you think that I'll be able to sit in the back and just cruise through unnoticed?

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 02:01 AM
Borrow this guy's sign. (http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2241/ironmyshirtbitch3ng.jpg)

diebitter
11-11-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I just accept the fact that I will spend the majority of this class getting told that I'm a miserable chauvinist piece of [censored]...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fight your corner! Man, this sounds about the most fun you can get in a class (except cute professor boya's maybe).

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 02:04 AM
Also, wear this shirt to class. (http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=414) (Site may be nsfw)

diebitter
11-11-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, wear this shirt to class. (http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=414) (Site may be nsfw)

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that would be an AWESOME challenge. PoBoy, you could make serious money with this one...

IronDragon1
11-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Unless TV is wrong the most likely result of this is that you will treated with hostility in class -mainly because most of these chicks are simply sublimating their desire to assume traditional/submissive gender roles- but out of class resulting in you getting more ass than a toilet seat.

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 02:09 AM
I think that for enough money, I'd be up for it, so long as in addition to the money for the bet, you guys paid for the T-shirt and ball reattachment surgery after they get torn off by this group

http://www.1115.org/archives/womynists.jpg

11-11-2005, 02:13 AM
Has anyone seen the hilarious movie 100 girls? There's a great speech in it that the hero delivers to his women's studies group.

Otherwise, I might pay you to read aloud my paper I wrote in philosophy class called "A Vindication of the Rights of Men"... the reaction to it would definitely be worth some cash...

Voltron87
11-11-2005, 02:17 AM
Take the class. Argue a lot. Bring up that group of single fathers who have formed a group to protest custody laws, that should be interesting.

In one history class I took somehow those "stop snitching" tshirts came up and we had a whole big argument about the meaning of the slogan. I thought the slogan meant "bitch, if you tell anyone I sell crack here I'll kill you and your kids". Apparently that's not true, it means "I am a hardworking mother of two, do not talk to the police because I think the black community should air out our differences among ourselves and not rely on the state, which is controlled by white people and could never do anything positive for us."

There was also some funny stuff said where one girl insisted that the mainstream black community doesnt want police coming into the "hood" (her words) and investigating and prosecuting crack dealers because black people think the police are racist, and the community sentiment echoed in the first paragraph should be the rule of thumb. Apparently crack is not that bad of a drug after all either, and crack dealers are just doing what they have to do because the man keeps them down. And the idea that the CIA brings cocaine into black neighborhoods is taken as total gospel, including by the professor. You don't need any reason or proof to think this though... just laugh at people who suggest it might not be true or who ask you to back it up. Another girl also assumed that I was not getting any financial aid to go to the school and was really rich (neither are true) and somehow was an evil person because of this. [censored] crazy kids. The school newspaper is full of laughs too.

2+2 wannabe
11-11-2005, 02:17 AM
just be open-minded about it

I took a WGST course in my second year - it was one of the easiest and most interesting courses out there

it's not a male-bashing course - it's a course on the topics that you put in your OP

although you'll get the odd radical feminist that may take it too far (there are radicalists in every facet of life) you'll probably learn a lot - that is if you want to

man there are a lot of misogynistic people on these boards (not talking about you OP)

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just be open-minded about it

I took a WGST course in my second year - it was one of the easiest and most interesting courses out there

it's not a male-bashing course - it's a course on the topics that you put in your OP

although you'll get the odd radical feminist that may take it too far (there are radicalists in every facet of life) you'll probably learn a lot - that is if you want to

man there are a lot of misogynistic people on these boards (not talking about you OP)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, one of the reasons why I first decided to take the course was because it seemed like it would cover some interesting subject matter (and I'm a pretty liberal guy, so I'll probably agree with some of the more biased stuff). Really, I was just kind of curious as to whether or not I should expect dirty looks the first day I walk into class.

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but just let me address some of the stuff you said.

While the way that that girl debated you, by making false assumptions about you was ridiculous, not everything the said was completely wrong (although most of it was pretty far off).

Voltron87
11-11-2005, 02:28 AM
If it were taught by a good professor or someone you knew recommended it I would take the course. I would also not expect to get dirty looks the first day of class, but if you start arguing and take exception to some of the BS then you will start to be poorly received no matter what you say.

Voltron87
11-11-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not to hijack this thread, but just let me address some of the stuff you said.

While the way that that girl debated you, by making false assumptions about you was ridiculous, not everything the said was completely wrong (although most of it was pretty far off).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think all of the stuff she was saying was wrong either, I'm a fairly liberal guy in a lot of ways (though recently I have totally given up those labels, they really are useless to me) and I agree with the some of the basic sentiments. The part that really annoyed me was that I took exception to something the rest of the class agreed on, and because mine was a more conservative view I got totally ransacked by everyone. While some of the stuff they were saying was totally off the wall, I agreed with parts of the ir basic premise but the discussion's tone was not productive at all.

Anyways, a lot of college students (even at supposedly elite top schools) have really unsophisticated political views, both left and right, and are immature and reactionary. When the one girl (black) said something waaay off base about me being rich and growing up isolated (totally untrue) my friend tried to convince me to drop the affirmative action bomb but even I did not have the balls to do that. now that would have made it a class.

diebitter
11-11-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that for enough money, I'd be up for it, so long as in addition to the money for the bet, you guys paid for the T-shirt and ball reattachment surgery after they get torn off by this group

http://www.1115.org/archives/womynists.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Going to the first class in drag and bad makeup also has challenge potential.

Or insisting on photo-ing/videoing all the class members so you can 'post em on an internet board for your buddies to rate em all' is another challenge potential.

istewart
11-11-2005, 04:19 AM
I think you need to detach your nutsack, or start [censored] Betty Friedan.

Beer and Pizza
11-11-2005, 04:20 AM
Wear a wire to every class.

When your teacher tries to flunk you, you will have the evidence.

After you get your final grade, you can do an exposé.

rusty JEDI
11-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Be prepared.

In a social justice class myself and a group of friends were called Sexist A-holes, because we would not agree that the wnba is just as good of a product as the NBA. Then she said that she hopes people like us never get jobs because of our sexism. This was in the education program.

rJ

11-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Be sure to use the words 'chick' and 'babe' as often as possible during class.

Shajen
11-11-2005, 10:46 AM
and sweet-[censored]. Women love it when you call them sweet-[censored].

Come on!? T.i.t.s is censored? Weird.

diebitter
11-11-2005, 10:50 AM
You just gotta use OOT as a case study if you're exploring 'male attitudes to women' and suchlike. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

Georgia Avenue
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I too a womens studies course once. I got 0 dirty looks (and this was in the mid-90s too, PC Ground Zero...) So you'll be OK on that front.

This class sounds a lot more substantial than the Intro type class I was in, but even so, watch out for BS. Take notes and re-read the prof's opinions outside of class. You may not have the cajones to debate the BS in class, just make sure that you make up your own mind. Ideally you should call everyone on their mistakes and assumptions, but I know I didn't have the guts most of the time.

That class was one of the reasons I dropped out of school the first time...but I was immature and hated the idea that professors were "brainwashing" the students, when in actuality the students didn't pay attention enough to get brainwashed.

Also:
TTIWWP.

WDC
11-11-2005, 10:52 AM
I took a similar class my last year of law school. The only guy and about 15 3rd year law school women (almost all of whom I knew). The other students were fine with me being there and most understood that i was not the run of the mill male chauvinist pig but the two dyke bitch professors who taught it went out of their way to make my life miserable. They were so obvious about it that the other students went to the Dean to complain.

The professors were actually reprimanded for making the class a 'hostile environment".

If you can roll with the punches go for it.

diebitter
11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
I don't understand why you wanna question the BS. You do realise the easiest way to get good grades is vomit back the profs own attitudes/prejudices mostly undigested. All this arguing is BS unless you're really interested in getting to the heart of a subject, and really understanding it.

Do indeed do you're own thinking though.

Georgia Avenue
11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you wanna question the BS. You do realise the easiest way to get good grades is vomit back the profs own attitudes/prejudices mostly undigested.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we all know that good grades leads to a good job and adequate money and a spouse and procreation all of which is the key to "happiness"... Then when you're lying on your deathbed looking into the darkness behind the curtains and you say to yourself, "Wait, what is really going on around here?" you hopefully will remember one of the half-truths and solipsisms you were forced to regurgitate in college. "Something about deconstruction..." you'll say, "...or like, otherness?" /images/graemlins/wink.gif

diebitter
11-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Not me.

I'll be thinking about, and hopefully be with, my family. And maybe be glad I was able to provide a great upbringing and a good family home for my kids cos I worked hard AND used my head and played the system to get ahead.

RacersEdge
11-11-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm trying to get an internship for next semester and for it I need to have Wednesdays free. As a result, most of my courses are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I'm going to take one class on Wednesday nights just so that I don't have 10 hours of straight classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The course is in the Women and Gender Studies program, is entititled "Women and the Law" and has the following course description:

[ QUOTE ]
This course will introduce students to the law of sex discrimination and women's rights, with particular emphasis on issues of employment discrimination (including sexual harassment), violence against women, marriage and divorce law, and reproductive and abortion rights. It will consider the assumptions and biases that have shaped the law in these areas, tracing the historical development of constitutional and statutory protection for women's rights, and exploring feminist and liberal critiques of the current state of the law. Finally, while the course's primary focus will be on American law, it will also introduce students to other countries; approaches to rape law and abortion rights, comparing and contrasting the assumptions about women that underlie different legal systems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I just accept the fact that I will spend the majority of this class getting told that I'm a miserable chauvinist piece of [censored], or do you think that I'll be able to sit in the back and just cruise through unnoticed?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just go in there and rip apart their little theories...lol.

Felix_Nietsche
11-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Wear a wire to every class.
When your teacher tries to flunk you, you will have the evidence.
After you get your final grade, you can do an exposé.
LOL............this advice actually has merit.
The man-haters that teach these classes range from the mild man haters to the raving lunatic man-haters that will use their power to bully/flunk you.

On a side note, I think these PC classes are 100% bull****. Can't you take a REAL class that actually makes you more marketable and that may give you knowledge to help you in your future career?

Cancuk
11-11-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Borrow this guy's sign. (http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2241/ironmyshirtbitch3ng.jpg)

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

I would have a hard time putting up with all the bs that your going to see in that class and not argue it. If you confront it in a constructive way that creates good class debate, it should go over allright.

EMcWilliams
11-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Im taking a course now with a liberal radical feminist as the teacher. The class is actually a business writing class but all we do is discuss politics, usually her bashing Men, Bush and upping women. While I hate that I am not learning anything, I do enjoy bashing her back and getting her caught in lies and such, and re-affirming male superiority.

And as for a topic on a research paper: The stupidest male alive is still 100x smarter than the smartest female.

Godfather80
11-11-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just sit and learn? Or did you take the class because you wanted to fail? Would you take a class on Judaism and then walk in and spout anti-Semetic remarks? So, just shut up and pass or drop the class.

PoBoy321
11-11-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't you take a REAL class that actually makes you more marketable and that may give you knowledge to help you in your future career?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking the course, primarily for two reasons: it fit into my schedule well and I eventually want to go into law.

diebitter
11-11-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...While I hate that I am not learning anything, I do enjoy bashing her back and getting her caught in lies and such, and re-affirming male superiority.

[/ QUOTE ]

You go, sister!

errr, brother!