PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars NLTourneys - is anyone making money?

Magician
06-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Are any of you other posters consistently profiting from playing Pokerstars NLHE tournaments?

How do I know if I'm negative EV or just plain unlucky?

Acesover8s
06-21-2003, 04:56 PM
Depends on your definition of consistently. I have played hundreds of NL tourneys on pokerstars in the past 2 years and am profitable, but my hourly rate is nowhere near my hourly rate for cash games. I seem to make 1 decent win every 2-4 months surrounded by lots of losses and a few just in the money cashes. But I admit I am not a good tourney player.

Magician
06-23-2003, 01:21 PM
Question is, assume you are a good but not great player, is it right to assume that your EV is twice your buy-in?

Guy McSucker
06-23-2003, 03:08 PM
I don't think it's right to assume anything about your EV. If you're good it should be positive, but it depends on the field of course.

One thing you can assume: the deviation is high.

Sklansky has an article called "Is your wallet fat enough for tournaments" in (I think) "Getting the best of it", which is quite illuminating about the swings that tournament play involves.

To answer your original question: I guess fnurt is doing okay in these things...

I'm also well ahead on tournaments, both live and online, but I won a couple in quick succession, so it's really hard to tell if I'm good or lucky or what. I do know that for a very long time I won nothing.

Guy.

cferejohn
06-23-2003, 03:50 PM
I am definitely making money in them, having won a $20 (216 players) and $100 (126 players), and placing second in a $50 (78 players), along with a number of low-cash finishes Ive only been playing them for about 4 months, so I have certainly been a little lucky, but I think it is possible.

Fnurt also seems to do well. If I remember correctly, he placed 3rd (I think, maybe 4th) in Sunday's 600+ $200 tournament (I placed a robust 500th or so /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ). Congrats on that, by the way Fnurt.