PDA

View Full Version : Are we done with the pennies yet?

Sully
11-10-2005, 08:55 PM
Are we done with the [censored] pennies yet?

Because it is time. The American public hasn’t been using them for about a decade. They have become so worthless, that people give them to each other as a matter of routine. Get your change, pick out the pennies, and leave them there for the next guy. Need a penny or two? Well, there should be a few there for you, because the last guy sure as [censored] didn’t want his. That’s the game.

I hate when stores don’t want to play by the game. If a store doesn’t have a little tray, I am immediately annoyed. The hell if I’m fishing another dollar out of my pants because it came to $5.02. When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown. I’ll return an item before I break another dollar and let you give me three more of the [censored] things in return. And that item probably had a profit margin of at least $.03 to you, so who’s the loser now? Get it? As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game.

If there is no tray, my normal routine has become to fish through my change and immediately pick them out and deposit them into the trash. Not only are they worthless, but they are disgusting. Most have been in circulation for 20 years, and as the stepchild of your change purse, they have been given no love. They live in ashtrays, parking lots, and huge jars owned by 72 year old men who remember when they were worth something. Old copper is gross enough to start with. Add to the fact that they are covered in gum and [censored] and filth, and you need to wash your hands every time one touches you.

Think about this: a stamp costs $0.37. 37 pennies weigh 6 ounces. It takes about two stamps to mail 6 ounces of stuff. Therefore, if I wanted to mail someone 37 cents in pennies, it would cost me 74 cents. By my definition, it’s pretty clear cut. When a monetary unit can’t afford to mail itself, it’s worthless. Don’t get all cocky either, nickels…….you aren’t far behind. (I don’t really know how much 37 pennies weigh, that was just a guess. I have a scale in my office, and would find out, but I can’t. I threw out all my [censored] pennies. Just trust me though….I’m right on this general principal. I know by instinct that they can’t mail themselves.)

Have you ever tried to give one to a bum? Seriously. I almost got in a fight in San Francisco over the fact that I gave a bum some pennies. The man had no home, was hungry, cold, and hopeless, yet when I gave him a handful of pennies, he tried to spit on me. Fortunately, his lack of front teeth seriously affected his saliva-aiming abilities and I easily dodged the projectile, but nonetheless.

Isn’t this enough evidence for Alan Greenspan and the Fed to say enough is enough? I now summarize my case:

1. Pennies are considered worthless, even by homeless people
2. Pennies are disgusting
3. Pennies can’t even mail themselves
4. Americans are actually giving them to strangers, like some nationwide game of hot potato

Case Closed. Please, Federal Reserve, I beg you. End the game.

I’m done with the [censored] pennies.

--Sully--

MarkL444
11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
i think a big issue with pennis is that people just keep throwing them into a jar or whatever at home and they arent being used, so the government has to make a bunch more and [censored]. probably costs a lot to keep them in circulation.

BCPVP
11-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Pennies are the dandruff of our monetary system.

Nick B.
11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
You know you are worthless when vending machines won't take you. I had six pennies in my pockets the other night and was going to throw them out, but decided not to but didn't really have a reason.

ddubois
11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
This is eerie. I bought a bag of pretzels yesterday and it was $3.01. I actually considered coming back to work and posting a 'What's my play?" thread.

Brain
11-10-2005, 09:01 PM
A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 37 pennies weigh 92.5 grams or 3.26 ounces.

For first class letter mail, the USPS charges 37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each subsequent ounce (or portion of an ounce) so you're looking at $1.06 in postage for your 37 pennies.

Thanks to The U.S. Mint (http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/index.cfm?flash=yes&action=coin_specifications) and The USPS (http://postcalc.usps.gov/)

tonypaladino
11-10-2005, 09:04 PM
I agree that pennies are worthless, and the government should consider doing away with them. However....

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when stores don’t want to play by the game. If a store doesn’t have a little tray, I am immediately annoyed. The hell if I’m fishing another dollar out of my pants because it came to $5.02. When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown. I’ll return an item before I break another dollar and let you give me three more of the [censored] things in return. And that item probably had a profit margin of at least $.03 to you, so who’s the loser now? Get it? As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a [censored]. The cashiers at most stores are held accountable for thier tills and if they let everyone short them $0.01-$0.03 they would come up with signigicant discrepancies. I've had a lot of experience with asswipes who act like children in stores because they think they can round prices down when the price is $XX.02 and get all pissed off about having to break a dollar.

There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray, it's because it is poor cash management and loss prevention policy to have money sitting out in a cashwrap area.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you want to exist in a society that uses pennies, you had better play by the game and instead of treating people like [censored] when you shop, take you douchebaggery elsewhere.

Slow Play Ray
11-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Very nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
my normal routine has become to fish through my change and immediately pick them out and deposit them into the trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

[ QUOTE ]
When a monetary unit can’t afford to mail itself, it’s worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great quote - still laughing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sully
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know you are worthless when vending machines won't take you. I had six pennies in my pockets the other night and was going to throw them out, but decided not to but didn't really have a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extremely good point that need to be included in the list of arguments.

[ QUOTE ]
A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 37 pennies weigh 92.5 grams or 3.26 ounces.

For first class letter mail, the USPS charges 37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each subsequent ounce (or portion of an ounce) so you're looking at $1.06 in postage for your 37 pennies.

Thanks to The U.S. Mint and The USPS

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I was right about this. Even more ridiculous than I thought. Thanks for the freaky fast internetting.

Sully
11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are a [censored]. The cashiers at most stores are held accountable for thier tills and if they let everyone short them $0.01-$0.03 they would come up with signigicant discrepancies. I've had a lot of experience with asswipes who act like children in stores because they think they can round prices down when the price is $XX.02 and get all pissed off about having to break a dollar.

There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray, it's because it is poor cash management and loss prevention policy to have money sitting out in a cashwrap area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. You don't understand the game. The till is not off, and nobody gets shorted. When there is a tray full of pennies, the correct change is put into the cash register, and it balances at the end of the day.

And I never would expect for someone to pay for my extra $.02. I told you, I'd give an item back. If they play the game, it solves this problem. Everyone is a winner, but it is a ridiculous exercise that can be done without.

Get off your high horse. I'm sorry that you are angry about your cashier's job. I had that job myself once, and the penny tray made everything hunky dory, although pointless.

Good luck tomorrow at the till, and wash your hands often.

tonypaladino
11-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm not a cashier. I used to manage a department of cashiers, and I feel strongly about retail workers being treated with respect.

jgorham
11-10-2005, 09:28 PM
I really enjoyed this post. I do disagree on one count though. Flicking pennies at people is awesome. And way more effective than bottle caps. When I get 3 pennies, I think "one penny for each roommate." They can even leave welts!

A_C_Slater
11-10-2005, 09:29 PM
They are good as filler when you put all your change at the end of the day in a big plastic "Pepsi" change holder. You can buy these at any Meijer's. Then if you have the discipline to wait til it gets full you can take it to Coinstar. I can never wait though, but I got close once.

56 pounds of random change is about $533.33 in expected value. Just save them like the old men do.

eviljeff
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dare you to try to continue this analogy.

rusellmj
11-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Please send your pennies to me.

I will make good use of them.

11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY.

Next time you stand in front of me and "stare" at me because I won't front you $.02 (people have asked me to take it out of our tip jar), know that I'll be seriously considering helping you do so.

AngryCola
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost every convenience store I have ever been in had a penny tray. It's a good thing.

Alobar
11-10-2005, 09:42 PM
I havent used a penny in about 3 years. Whenever I get them in change, I immediatly throw them away, or leave them on the counter. My life is much better because of this.

PokerFink
11-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Phenomenal. POTD.

TomCollins
11-10-2005, 10:00 PM
When I was in Australia, it was nice not to have pennies. On the other hand, they had $1 and $2 coins, which were real annoying.

Sully
11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY.

Next time you stand in front of me and "stare" at me because I won't front you $.02 (people have asked me to take it out of our tip jar), know that I'll be seriously considering helping you do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSSTESS,TKY.

That means You Should Stop Taking Everything So Seriously, Then Kill Yourself.

It's just writing and exaggeration in order to make a point. I'm not a cashier hater, and as I told another guy, I was a cashier myself. I'm about as non-confrontational as they come.

The reality is that I fork over another dollar. My face would turn red if I held up the line while I returned an item or asked a cashier to give me some of their tips. I always drop a dollar in the tip jar, if there is one. Seriously. Every time.

It's not about cashier abuse, it's about the pointlessness of pennies. I figured that anyone who is a cashier or convenience store owner would probably hate pennies by about ten magnitudes more than me.

Now, YSSSTESS,TKY.

tolbiny
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
you pay for the postage and they are all yours.

Soul Daddy
11-10-2005, 10:13 PM
When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though.

IndieMatty
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Funny post, silly and improbable, but funny nonetheless.

callydrias
11-10-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Savings bonds are the smegma of our monetary system.

11-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Good rant. Post more.

[ QUOTE ]
YSSSTESS,TKY.

That means You Should Stop Taking Everything So Seriously, Then Kill Yourself.

It's just writing and exaggeration in order to make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh. Good advice. Some people really need to lighten up.

11-10-2005, 10:37 PM
An average person (I think the average life expectancy is about 80 years) will waste $405,112.89 if they throw away a penny a day. I assumed you would invest $3.65 every year, earning a reasonable rate of return of 12%. Correct me if this seems wrong.

Calculated Here (http://www.tcalc.com/tvwww.dll?Save)

Note: This site only allows for 50 years, so you have to do 50 first and then another 30.

ChipWrecked
11-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Until sales taxes are charged in increments of nickels, and stores quit marking prices to $X.99, you might as well save your breath.

loose passive
11-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Here is what to do with your pennies...

Amazon.com Inc. sees gold in nickels, dimes and pennies. Hoping to scrounge market share from America's couch cushions, the world's biggest online retailer plans to announce Tuesday a partnership to offer Amazon gift certificates at thousands of change-counting machines operated by Coinstar Inc.

The deal allows Coinstar customers to receive an instant Amazon gift certificate for the amount of change they dump into a green Coinstar machine, eliminating the 8.9 percent service fee.

tonypaladino
11-10-2005, 10:51 PM
thats a great idea for Amazon

eviljeff
11-10-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or someone else making up a different analogy will also satisfy the dare

jstnrgrs
11-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Welcome Back.

ChipWrecked
11-10-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or someone else making up a different analogy will also satisfy the dare

[/ QUOTE ]

Enron stock certificates are the toilet paper of our monetary system.

pokerdirty
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
awesome post, dude. Almost written in true Jim Anchower fashion too.

you left nickels and dimes off the list too. a quarter should be the lowest (and only) coin available.

in fact, let's make a poll

Sponger15SB
11-10-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats a great idea for Amazon

[/ QUOTE ]

and for coinstar.

NotMitch
11-10-2005, 11:49 PM
It is also time to be like Canada and go to the dollar coin and get rid of the bill.

jstnrgrs
11-10-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

you left nickels and dimes off the list too. a quarter should be the lowest (and only) coin available.

[/ QUOTE ]

The jstnrgrs money system:

Coins:
nickels
quarters
dollars
five dollars

Bills:
twenty five dollars
One Hunderd Dollars
Five Hundred Dollars

my alternate money system:

coins:
nickles
twenty cents
dollars
five dollars

Bills
Twenty Dollars
One Hundred Dollars
Five Hundred Dollars

pokerdirty
11-10-2005, 11:59 PM
americans hate coinage. you expect a 5 dollar coin to work when the 1 dollar coin has failed since its inception? obviously, if you don't print $1 or $5 bills, then eventually people would have to suck it up and use it, but this would never take off here.

jstnrgrs
11-11-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
americans hate coinage. you expect a 5 dollar coin to work when the 1 dollar coin has failed since its inception? obviously, if you don't print $1 or $5 bills, then eventually people would have to suck it up and use it, but this would never take off here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ONLY reason that one dollar coins haven't worked is because the dollar bills still exist. (Also they never intended to replace the bill. They didn't mint nearly enough coins to do this.)

pokerdirty
11-11-2005, 12:04 AM
bills > coins

i don't want to have to start carrying around a purse

Sponger15SB
11-11-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITS EUROPEAN

jstnrgrs
11-11-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bills > coins

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can fit a wallet in your pocket, then you can fit coins. If the coins are minted in approprate denominations, then there is no need to carry more than 16 coins (%19.95) on my alternate system. That is not to many, and it is the absolute maximum you would ever need. Of course the fact that coins are cheaper is the primary reason that I favor coins.

WLVRYN
11-11-2005, 12:41 AM
I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the goverment actually makes money by printing pennies since the cost to make the penny is less than a penny (if that makes sense, and I think it applies to other coinage as well), so it would not be in their best interest to stop producing them.

Unabridged
11-11-2005, 12:44 AM
retail stores need to stop being dickfaces, making something priced 19.99 is no different than 20.00, you are not fooling anyone.
they need to include tax in the price and round to the nearest dollar (or quarter). just like the movie theatres, sports venues, and amusement parks.
BAM. no more nickels, dimes, or pennies

Sully
11-11-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the goverment actually makes money by printing pennies since the cost to make the penny is less than a penny (if that makes sense, and I think it applies to other coinage as well), so it would not be in their best interest to stop producing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I know you were honestly trying to be helpful, this logic fails. It has to do with inflation. Otherwise, the US Government could just print up a coin for $8,077,403,291,917,87 (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/), cash it in Europe, and solve the national debt.

Of course, then every dollar in our pockets would be worth about $.22, and pennies would really be worthless.

11-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Anyhow, now that I'm done overreacting...

[censored] pennies!

Did you really do the math to see how much an 8 trillion dollar coin would devalue the dollar?

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't make any sense. The cost of printing most, if not all, currencies are less than the face value.

WLVRYN
11-11-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I know you were honestly trying to be helpful, this logic fails. It has to do with inflation. Otherwise, the US Government could just print up a coin for $8,077,403,291,917,87 (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/), cash it in Europe, and solve the national debt.

Of course, then every dollar in our pockets would be worth about $.22, and pennies would really be worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly I'm not an economist, but if something cost me less to produce than I could sell it for, I'm pretty sure I'd be churning them out as fast as possible. I realize that if I churn out way too many somethings, my somethings will be worth less, but if there is current demand, then I'm going to keep producing them.

Here's a link I found on google. Somewhat dated, but its what I was referring to. http://www.pennies.org/profit.html

Quote from the site for those that dont want to click:

The importance of preserving the penny goes well beyond high public acceptance and historical significance. The penny makes a profit for the government. It only costs .7 cents to make; consequently, the U.S. Mint receives a .3 cent bonus on each penny produced. This "seignorage" reduces funds the government must borrow to finance the deficit. In the last 15 years, these profits from the penny have earned the Treasury over $500 million.

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 01:19 AM
That still doesn't make any sence. How much does it cost to print a $100 bill? The government can't just print money and spend it as if it's a profit, that would lead to terrible inflation.

Dr. Strangelove
11-11-2005, 04:14 AM
I would guess pennies don't really circulate much, and there is a lot of loss from people throwing them away and keeping them in jars, hence, actual inflation is not commensurate with the volume of pennies minted. So it's a double [censored] you to all of us from the government. We have to put up with the things, and the government gets to buy [censored] from us using pennies that we largely won't recirculate.

runner4life7
11-11-2005, 05:06 AM
I cashiered for like 2 years in high school (only 20 now) and if it was like 1 or 2 cents over the dollar I'd just mess my drawer up the hell if I cared. I could be a dollar off and it was no big deal. Or I would even use my pennies because they are worthless. Why did a selfish person like myself do this? Because I know how much it sucks to get 4.98 back, you are just angry. So to the guy that managed cashiers you made a lot of peoples days crappy, nice job jerk.

Second to the guy that throws them, I do this all the time with my change sometimeseven nickels because my bedroom is up on a loft and there is a balcony overlooking the living room its perfect.

Finally, when I am drunk I tend to ask random trivia questions and give people like 4 cents if they get it right.

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So to the guy that managed cashiers you made a lot of peoples days crappy, nice job jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone's entire day was made crappy by receiving 8 coins then they have more serious problems that worrying about pennnies.

runner4life7
11-11-2005, 05:12 AM
whoever said 5 dollar coins is a moron. How often does change fall out of your damn pockets now imagine it being 15 dollars of change. I would be so pissed if this happened. Paper money was an advance in technology if you will. Coins suck. Also rolling pennies in parking lots to see whose can roll farther is fun.

Nick B.
11-11-2005, 05:12 AM
I picked up my Pizza and breadsticks tonight and it came to 21.01, the cashier said, "don't worry about the penny."

runner4life7
11-11-2005, 05:13 AM
maybe not the whole day but you cannot tell me that if you only have like a 20 on you and its 5.01 and you get 14.99 back you arent like what the [censored] dude. If you arent at least a little annoyed I am jealous of you because I will never know that feeling.

elmo
11-11-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though

[/ QUOTE ]

Benholio
11-11-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe not the whole day but you cannot tell me that if you only have like a 20 on you and its 5.01 and you get 14.99 back you arent like what the [censored] dude. If you arent at least a little annoyed I am jealous of you because I will never know that feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then if you need quarters for something, or dollar bills, etc, then you don't need to ask for change!

Rick Nebiolo
11-11-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading about this several years ago. It costs government lots of money (hundreds of millions yearly if memory serves) to produce pennies, and as others have mentioned they usually end up in coffee cans (I have three large).

They aren't needed at the cashier. Every cash transaction can be rounded - i.e. a 2.07 purchase would be $2.05, a $2.08 purchase would be $2.10.

If the government stopped making them and they were no longer used in cash transactions there still would be two big problems:

1. There would be no good name for penny loafers.

2. The saying "a penny saved is a penny earned" wouldn't make sense (like it does now) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be jealous then. I can honestly say I've never gotten upset over getting change. I get my change, glance at the bills to see if it looks right, and the coins go straight in my pocket without a second thought.

Sully
11-11-2005, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clearly I'm not an economist, but if something cost me less to produce than I could sell it for, I'm pretty sure I'd be churning them out as fast as possible. I realize that if I churn out way too many somethings, my somethings will be worth less, but if there is current demand, then I'm going to keep producing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for shoes or cars or widgets, you are right. As long as your profit margin per unit is still there, you can produce an infinite amount and still make money. This works for everything EXCEPT money.

Any time a country prints more money without removing the equivalent amount from circulation (all other things being equal), they have devalued their currency. This weakens their entire financial balance, and therefore power.

Do this enough, and your country becomes impoverished. Many, many countries have done exactly this, and paid the price. Ask your friends down in Central America how the 80's went.

*****Another disclaimer for generalization presented as fact..I don't remember specifically when inflation was at it's worst for them, but I know they went through some [censored] a while ago (maybe still today), and a good part of it was a result of bad Federal Reserve policies.*****

Look up inflation.

swede123
11-11-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You take the money from the cripples' jar?

Swede

Slow Play Ray
11-11-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing I hate most about my business trips to England is the inordinate amount of change you have to carry around in your pocket because the smallest bill they have is 5 pounds (like $9.25). Everyone (native) over there I mentioned it to agreed that it's annoying. So we should learn from their mistake.

I HATE having anything in my pockets - I have the smallest front-pocket wallet possible, and all of my change immediately goes to the change tray in my car, the change tray in my desk at work, or the change growler on my desk at home. I wouldn't deal well if they went to $1 coins. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

Vish
11-11-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The government can't just print money and spend it as if it's a profit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes it can.

[ QUOTE ]
...that would lead to terrible inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this happens all the time. But inflation helps the first people to spend it, in continually decreasing amounts. The first group to spend it (the government) gets full value for the minted money because it has not yet decreased everyone's perception of the value of money. The last people to spend it (us) get screwed because by the time we get hold of the extra money, it is now worth less.

Bulldog
11-11-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Until sales taxes are charged in increments of nickels, and stores quit marking prices to $X.99, you might as well save your breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

I struck out googling for this article I read, but some guy who runs a pizza shop went three days rounding off every total to the nearest nickel. Register says $4.82? Give me $4.80. It says $5.94? Give me $5.95.

End of day one: register was off by $0.03. Day two: spot on. Day three: Off by $0.02. No pennies. I think there is an online petition somewhere to do away with them, but now I'm 0 for 2, sucking at teh googling.

11-11-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a cashier. I used to manage a department of cashiers, and I feel strongly about retail workers being treated with respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. This is funny.

SossMan
11-11-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You take the money from the cripples' jar?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

no, that's the jar..this is the tray.

11-11-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be jealous then. I can honestly say I've never gotten upset over getting change. I get my change, glance at the bills to see if it looks right, and the coins go straight in my pocket without a second thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you also eat like a million banana's a day.

11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes it can.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this happens all the time. But inflation helps the first people to spend it, in continually decreasing amounts. The first group to spend it (the government) gets full value for the minted money because it has not yet decreased everyone's perception of the value of money. The last people to spend it (us) get screwed because by the time we get hold of the extra money, it is now worth less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

11-11-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I struck out googling for this article I read, but some guy who runs a pizza shop went three days rounding off every total to the nearest nickel. Register says $4.82? Give me $4.80. It says $5.94? Give me $5.95.

End of day one: register was off by $0.03. Day two: spot on. Day three: Off by $0.02. No pennies. I think there is an online petition somewhere to do away with them, but now I'm 0 for 2, sucking at teh googling.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't surprise me at all, and it shouldn't surprise you.

This is why, if I have to do a quick estimation of looking over several 3-digit numbers, I'll simply add the first digit column, and then add 50 for each number listed. This is because the average that is left over is 50 so if there is a list of like 1 million 3-digit numbers at random, you could do this method and not be off by much at all.

samjjones
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Good luck with that. Fight the power.

IndieMatty
11-11-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ITS EUROPEAN

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a fancy boy

The Dude
11-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Nice post.

radek2166
11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Because it is time. The American public hasn’t been using them for about a decade. They have become so worthless, that people give them to each other as a matter of routine. Get your change, pick out the pennies, and leave them there for the next guy. Need a penny or two? Well, there should be a few there for you, because the last guy sure as [censored] didn’t want his. That’s the game.

If there is no tray, my normal routine has become to fish through my change and immediately pick them out and deposit them into the trash. Not only are they worthless, but they are disgusting. Most have been in circulation for 20 years, and as the stepchild of your change purse, they have been given no love. They live in ashtrays, parking lots, and huge jars owned by 72 year old men who remember when they were worth something. Old copper is gross enough to start with. Add to the fact that they are covered in gum and [censored] and filth, and you need to wash your hands every time one touches you.

Think about this: a stamp costs $0.37. 37 pennies weigh 6 ounces. It takes about two stamps to mail 6 ounces of stuff. Therefore, if I wanted to mail someone 37 cents in pennies, it would cost me 74 cents. By my definition, it’s pretty clear cut. When a monetary unit can’t afford to mail itself, it’s worthless. Don’t get all cocky either, nickels…….you aren’t far behind. (I don’t really know how much 37 pennies weigh, that was just a guess. I have a scale in my office, and would find out, but I can’t. I threw out all my [censored] pennies. Just trust me though….I’m right on this general principal. I know by instinct that they can’t mail themselves.)

Have you ever tried to give one to a bum? Seriously. I almost got in a fight in San Francisco over the fact that I gave a bum some pennies. The man had no home, was hungry, cold, and hopeless, yet when I gave him a handful of pennies, he tried to spit on me. Fortunately, his lack of front teeth seriously affected his saliva-aiming abilities and I easily dodged the projectile, but nonetheless.

Isn’t this enough evidence for Alan Greenspan and the Fed to say enough is enough? I now summarize my case:

1. Pennies are considered worthless, even by homeless people
2. Pennies are disgusting
3. Pennies can’t even mail themselves
4. Americans are actually giving them to strangers, like some nationwide game of hot potato

Case Closed. Please, Federal Reserve, I beg you. End the game.

I’m done with the [censored] pennies.

--Sully--

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in Phuckin tears

11-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Here is a link (http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/11/pf/q_pennies/) to a CNN article about the debate over eliminating the penny.

CrazyEyez
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is a link (http://money.cnn.com/2002/04/11/pf/q_pennies/) to a CNN article about the debate over eliminating the penny.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Americans for Common Cents supports the idea that a rounding system would force prices up.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pennies are made of 97.5 percent zinc

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the zinc industry funds Americans for Common Cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we still have pennies thanks to special interest groups. Unbelievale.

P.S. Move this thread to Politics.

jstnrgrs
11-11-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing I hate most about my business trips to England is the inordinate amount of change you have to carry around in your pocket because the smallest bill they have is 5 pounds (like $9.25). Everyone (native) over there I mentioned it to agreed that it's annoying. So we should learn from their mistake.

I HATE having anything in my pockets - I have the smallest front-pocket wallet possible, and all of my change immediately goes to the change tray in my car, the change tray in my desk at work, or the change growler on my desk at home. I wouldn't deal well if they went to $1 coins. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I am convinced. I now Propose the following:
Coins: None
Bills:
$0.20
$1
$5
$20
$100
$500

JonPKibble
11-11-2005, 02:26 PM
These are some good points. Pennies are pretty useless.

Dimes are superfluous. Need ten cents? Use two nickels. This is kind of like having both $5 and $10 value p*ker chips.

Nickels & Quarters are the only coins we need!

MrMon
11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Pennies are not worthless. You's be amazed what you can get a 3 or 4-year-old to do for a penny.

Stop crying, I'll give you a penny. Okay!

If you go potty, I'll give you a penny. Okay!

Eats your peas and you'll get a penny. Okay!

Best deal ever.

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes it can.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to handing out poorly xeroxed communist newsletters on the corner.

Patrick del Poker Grande
11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How much do Penny Candies cost these days? My answer depends on this, as I can't imagine buying something less valuable than a Penny Candy.

tonypaladino
11-11-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How much do Penny Candies cost these days? My answer depends on this, as I can't imagine buying something less valuable than a Penny Candy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I bought penny candy 10 years ago it was 5 cents.

Bulldog
11-11-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A million banana's what?

tdarko
11-11-2005, 05:45 PM
i just cashed over $600 bucks in pennies at the grocery store in that change machine thing a few days ago. i must have looked like an idiot (i didn't give a [censored] though) spending an hour dumping thousands of pennies in a big green box.

Vavavoom
11-11-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pennies are not worthless. You's be amazed what you can get a 3 or 4-year-old to do for a penny.

Stop crying, I'll give you a penny. Okay!

If you go potty, I'll give you a penny. Okay!

Eats your peas and you'll get a penny. Okay!

Best deal ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure these scenarios must have happened to OP...

bobman0330
11-11-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes it can.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is madness! The government's still going to print the same amount of money, it just won't be pennies. And since every other denomination has a higher margin, we'll make more.

David04
11-11-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Amazon.com Inc. sees gold in nickels, dimes and pennies. Hoping to scrounge market share from America's couch cushions, the world's biggest online retailer plans to announce Tuesday a partnership to offer Amazon gift certificates at thousands of change-counting machines operated by Coinstar Inc.

The deal allows Coinstar customers to receive an instant Amazon gift certificate for the amount of change they dump into a green Coinstar machine, eliminating the 8.9 percent service fee.

[/ QUOTE ]
I Googled this, everything that show up is from September. I couldn't find any kind of updates, or anything on Amazon.com. Has this launched yet? This is a great idea, never heard of it before.

ilya
11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Sully has the perfect avatar for this post.

edfurlong
11-11-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I Googled this, everything that show up is from September. I couldn't find any kind of updates, or anything on Amazon.com. Has this launched yet? This is a great idea, never heard of it before.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are running commerials in my area. I was under the impression that it was already underway.

David04
11-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I came up with the brilliant idea to go to Coinstar.com. Turns out there are machines only 7 miles from my house that have the "eCertificate" ability.

11-11-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Here's a link I found on google. Somewhat dated, but its what I was referring to. http://www.pennies.org/profit.html

Quote from the site for those that dont want to click:

The importance of preserving the penny goes well beyond high public acceptance and historical significance. The penny makes a profit for the government. It only costs .7 cents to make; consequently, the U.S. Mint receives a .3 cent bonus on each penny produced. This "seignorage" reduces funds the government must borrow to finance the deficit. In the last 15 years, these profits from the penny have earned the Treasury over $500 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

The national debt is 8 trillion dollars. 500 million is 0.00625% of this, and that took 15 years. The profits don't mean squat if you put them in the proper scale. 500 million dollars may be a lot of money to you or me, but to the U.S. government, it is small change.

11-11-2005, 08:16 PM
When I get pennies I just leave them near where I received them. Homeless people follow me around.

GuyOnTilt
11-11-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of like having both $5 and $10 value p*ker chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

GoT