PDA

View Full Version : Alleged Document WSOP Dealers Must Sign

03-28-2002, 02:45 PM
This is, allegedly, a document that all Binions dealers must sign to work the 2002 WSOP. Supposedly, they are not allowed to show it to a lawyer before signing, nor do they receive a copy after signing.

I know nothing about contract law, but I can't imagine this is enforceable, nor that if Binions REALLY IS(big if) requiring this doc be signed that the WSOP will have any dealers.

There's a thread link for RGP below.

"1. I will not speak to any member of the press, write any article, book or

journal whither published or not, speak to anyone that then speaks to a

member of the press or writes about anything concerning the Horseshoe, the

WSOP, or any employees or customers for a period of FIVE YEARS unless I

first get WRITTEN permission from the Horseshoe.

2. That in the event that the Horseshoe sues me for breach of contract for

speaking to unauthorized persons, I agree to PAY THEIR LEGAL FEES even if I

prevail. (In other words, even if I win, I LOSE.)

3. This includes COURT COSTS and THEIR lawyers.

4. That in the event legal action is required; I agree to immediately post a

bond in the amount of $25,000 to cover their costs.

5. If I don't post this bond, I agree to a summary judgment in favor of the

Horseshoe at any reasonable amount (reasonable to determined by THEM). "

"WSOP DOCUMENT" is the thread title.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=tkGo8.9367%2415.3731%40www.newsranger.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26group%3Drec.gambling.poker

03-28-2002, 03:31 PM
I'd be surprised if this thing existed because it means that Binion's made it public without bothering to get advice from an actual lawyer. I don't know Nevada law on restrictive covenants but in most states I'm quite sure that nothing in this purported document would be enforceable. The non-disclosure covenenant is overbroad and the penalty clauses are absurdly punitive. How could someone promise not to speak to someone who "then" speaks to the press without effectively promising to predict the future?

03-28-2002, 08:58 PM
My understanding is that the dealers, not the floor people, were paid better at last year's WSOP than they ever were. As for the floor people, I don't know what they got, but they seem to want a huge windfall which of course came from the players.

Three percent of the prize pool for tokes might be okay for $200-$500 buy-in tournaments, but it should be lower, in my opinion, for tournaments that charge as much for entrance as does the WSOP. So it seems to me that it was the players who took it on the chin last year.

As for this year, taking 6 percent for the house, with none of that going into the dealers/floor personnel tip pool seems too much to me. It will be interesting to see how this year's WSOP goes.

I'll be spending most of my time at either The Mirage or The Bellagio.