PDA

View Full Version : Don't piss away my huge stack

Endlestorm
11-10-2005, 08:13 PM
This is the Paradise "Pearl" $150 that plays every night at 8:15 PST. Last night: 214 Entrants.

Blinds are 100/200 with 25 ante. I have 23k, nearly twice the second chip leader.

MP (6k) raises to 500
CO (10k) calls
Button (4k) calls
SB makes it 2500 all-in.

I'm in the BB with 99.

What do I DO?

woodguy
11-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Fold.

Regards,
Woodguy

11-10-2005, 08:19 PM
toss it. I fold 99 to a raise+re-raise unless I have a micro stack or something.

11-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Fold. and quickly.

Endlestorm
11-10-2005, 08:50 PM
OK easy one, end of thread.

When the all-in and the caller flipped over 77 and AQ, and the 77 held up, I second-guessed my fold.

Thanks

EverettKings
11-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Uh, why is this such an insta-fold? SB is all in here.

The smallish mp raise and two position/pot odds calls don't scare me in the slightest. The push doesn't even make me that uncomfortable since i could see him doing that with 55+ AJ+ KQ type range.

I push here.

Everett

bholdr
11-10-2005, 10:54 PM
I think too many people are saying to fold here, but it's marginal either way... if you had any kind of read on your opposition, especially the CO, a push may be in order... maybe a raise to 5k would be better, though, just as long as you don't flat call...

If you are quite sure that the cutoff (as well as MP and Button) will fold to a push (which is highly likely), i would think that's the best option. It's POSSIBLE that he has you dominated with a higher pair, but one of the other possibilities- Smaller pair, two high cards, a desperate steal- is more probable and common in my experience when facing a move like that. the times when you have him crushed will even out with the times he'll have a big pair... and, with a big 'ol stack like that and an anticipated 1500 extra in the pot from the call/hope-they-folders, you're happy to run a race, right?

Either way, as long as you're confidant the CO w/10k will fold, it's no big deal to your monster stack. this one's all about reads, basicly...

***as i am still a relitivly inexperienced tourney player, albeit a winning one, my advice is far from gospel and should not be taken as such[/disclaimer]***

CieloAzor
11-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I didn't find this to be a simple decision either. I feel like we should be ahead of any single player's range and the pot odds are tempting. The problem is, you're stuck between the SB and MP, either of whom could potentially have you in bad shape. You'd hate to flat call and have MP move in right behind you because by the time you have that new information, you're either folding away a bunch of chips or calling the rest because you're potstuck. I don't usually re-reraise here either because it doesn't provide any information and leaves you no way out of the hand. Most of the hands better than yours won't consider folding anyway.

Folding's the safe play and I don't fault it, but I'd probably call 60%/fold 30%/raise 10%. Really depends on how you've observed these guys playing and the flow of the game.

bholdr
11-11-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Folding's the safe play and I don't fault it, but I'd probably call 60%/fold 30%/raise 10%. Really depends on how you've observed these guys playing and the flow of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

aggreed. I think one would have to be pretty damn sure that the SB would fold (and/or didn't have) a draw or AA/KK when he sees a push and then another push behind... he should, but you never know without good reads/notes...

one thought about that: caould the SB reasonably call a push/push on that flop without either TT, AA or an OESFD (if he has big brass ones)? preflop action rules out AA, no? highly unlikely... like, unlikely enough to bet on, eh?

The character of the table, as well as the current level and stage of the tournament would also factor into my descision... maybe folding if i was close to the money, pushing happily if the blinds were a bit bigger.... intresting stuff. ty for thoughtful reply.