PDA

View Full Version : Best politically fueled music-current

BWebb
11-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I was watching Conan the other night and Neil Young was on (if you didn't see it, it was great). Anyway, it got me thinking about older music that used to be very politically driven and wondering if anything was being made currently that would be equivalent. Since Rage is no longer making music I can't really think of any. I'm sure there is some out there, but I'm either unaware or oblivious. So, what's out there?

trotski
11-10-2005, 06:42 PM
SOAD --Great stuff

BWebb
11-10-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SOAD --Great stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously. I'm a moron for forgeting about them.

nomadtla
11-10-2005, 06:53 PM
The new Green Day is pretty straightforward in it's stance on the war and our current political leader. Plus it's a wonderful album.

11-10-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The new Green Day is pretty straightforward in it's stance on the war and our current political leader. Plus it's a wonderful album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should this be in politics? Since I hate political motivated-anything, and also hate green day, I would have to say, seeing that one video they have out now, I had no idea where they stood on the war? It was just a bunch of fight scenes, set to bad music? Are there other songs a little more straight-forward? What is thier stance, I couldnt garner it from the vid?

Andrew Fletcher
11-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Wow. You should take a political science class or something.

Green Day is against the war and does not like George W. Bush. I'm not wild about Green Day, but how could you miss this?

What did you think Kanye West meant when he said "George Bush doesn't care about black people?"

As for the OP, if hip-hop is your thing, I would check out Dead Prez. Lets Get Free is a great album.

11-10-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Green Day is against the war and does not like George W. Bush. I'm not wild about Green Day, but how could you miss this?

What did you think Kanye West meant when he said "George Bush doesn't care about black people?"

As for the OP, if hip-hop is your thing, I would check out Dead Prez. Lets Get Free is a great album.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm...Kayne West obviously let it known his views on the president, on a national forum. He did so very explicitly. I watched green days video on tv, havent heard much from them in the national media since I was in 8th grade. The lyrics didnt really have much to do with what was going on in the video, although I wasnt paying all that much attention. The video just depicted what looked like scenes from a normal war movie. It was very vauge. If your view of political science comes from rock/hip-hop stars/ and actors, then maybe you should be the one taking a class.

Autocratic
11-10-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: Dead Prez hates white people. Regardless, I don't mind their music.

nomadtla
11-10-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I hate political motivated-anything,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you even in this thread let alone arguing me. Unless you really dislike greenday that much. If you're not looking for it then yes the video is just war scenes over depressing post punk noise (whether or not that is good music is personal oppinion). And as far as that video even the director agrees it's just emotional and meant to show that war is bad ( As can be read in this article (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7582537/greenday?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single1&rnd=113 1665249625&has-player=true&version=6.0.8.1024) )

But as far as being blatant about how they feel about Bush just look at the lyrics from "Holiday"
Zieg Heil to the president gasman
Bombs away is your punishment
Pulverize the Eiffel towers
Who criticize your government
Bang bang goes the broken glass and
Kill all the fags that don't agree

nothumb
11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of great political hip-hop has attitudes towards whites that range from ambivalence to outright hostility... what is amusing is that a decent portion of those 'conscious' rappers sell more records in the suburbs than the hood.

Not sure if I would consider Dead Prez 'great' but I think they've got their moments and they certainly fit this bill (although they try their damnedest to sell otherwise).

For good political rap, other than the obvious ones I'd say check out The Coup. "Genocide and Juice" is a good start.

NT

MonkeeMan
11-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Midnight Oil?

theweatherman
11-10-2005, 07:37 PM
yo, the new green day sucks hard core. Anyone who likes it is an [censored]. The best current political fueledmusic has to be Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros of Leftover Crack.

Pete Venkman
11-10-2005, 09:59 PM
System Of A Down

GuyOnTilt
11-10-2005, 10:28 PM
M.I.A.

GoT

11-10-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yo, the new green day sucks hard core. Anyone who likes it is an [censored]. The best current political fueledmusic has to be Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros of Leftover Crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what? you have to be the single most ignorant person on this board. you spout off this completely untruthful and idiotic "look mommy, Im rebellious" political [censored], here and in SMP. You never back up anything at all you say there, and thus you have been kicked the [censored] out by smarter minds.

So now you open up this thread, and take time to present your opinion without any reason to back it up, and then insult everyone else who has an opinion other than yours. You really need to wake up and smell reality, because if you dont, you're going to make the mistake of saying the wrong thing to someone who shares your opinion of people who disagree with him.

Andrew Fletcher
11-13-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]It's true, but white people have done a lot worth hating.

Andrew Fletcher
11-13-2005, 11:12 PM
The Coup is F-ing great

Andrew Fletcher
11-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Great point, I will try to enroll in one sometime. The name of Green Day's newest album was "American Idiot."

Larimani
11-13-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
M.I.A.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you're into hiphop. Skinnyman [Council Estate of Mind] UK.

GuyOnTilt
11-13-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
M.I.A.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

siccjay
11-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Immortal Technique.

Jack of Arcades
11-13-2005, 11:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
M.I.A.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much the only political stuff I listen to.

GoCubsGo
11-13-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you know what? you have to be the single most ignorant person on this board. you spout off this completely untruthful and idiotic "look mommy, Im rebellious" political [censored], here and in SMP. You never back up anything at all you say there, and thus you have been kicked the [censored] out by smarter minds.

So now you open up this thread, and take time to present your opinion without any reason to back it up, and then insult everyone else who has an opinion other than yours. You really need to wake up and smell reality, because if you dont, you're going to make the mistake of saying the wrong thing to someone who shares your opinion of people who disagree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate new Green Day too. Dookie was such a great album and they had a few other good songs. But I hate what they've become. Maybe their message is complex and well thought out, but I won't be able to take them seriously until Billy Joe Armstrong takes that [censored] eye makeup off. What does that have to do with the war?

Also, I have noticed that a majority of people that like new Green Day also like bands like Fall Out Boy, which shows they aren't into Green Day because of their politically fueled lyrics.

nothumb
11-13-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Immortal Technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard a song this guy did and I just hated it. I think it was recommended by someone on this board, it was just him slapping together as many five syllable words as he could and making all these terrible analogies and metaphors.

NT

TheNoodleMan
11-13-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Coup is F-ing great

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and their album with their front man putting a bomb on the WTC is one helluva collectors item.

jesusarenque
11-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Steve Earle

JoshuaD
11-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Ani Difranco is politically fueled, but IMO her politics suck, alot. Her songs about love are great though.

okayplayer
11-14-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Immortal Technique.

[/ QUOTE ]
Co-sign

11-14-2005, 01:01 AM
This post begins and ends with

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINES

End of discussion.

HamJam
11-14-2005, 01:06 AM
This is correct.

11-14-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate new Green Day too. Dookie was such a great album and they had a few other good songs. But I hate what they've become. Maybe their message is complex and well thought out, but I won't be able to take them seriously until Billy Joe Armstrong takes that [censored] eye makeup off. What does that have to do with the war?

Also, I have noticed that a majority of people that like new Green Day also like bands like Fall Out Boy, which shows they aren't into Green Day because of their politically fueled lyrics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked the new album but only after a good three listenings, but at first I hated it. I have burned out 3 copies of dookie and it is my favorite album of all time. I just liked the new album for the story, and I think if you gave it a real shot, instead of this "st. anger"ish hatred from longtime fans, you might be surprised.

TheNoodleMan
11-14-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Since Joe Strummer has been dead for almost 3 years now, I think its pretty hard to call anything he did the best current politically fueled music.

siccjay
11-14-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Immortal Technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard a song this guy did and I just hated it. I think it was recommended by someone on this board, it was just him slapping together as many five syllable words as he could and making all these terrible analogies and metaphors.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we all know one song makes an artist.

nothumb
11-14-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Immortal Technique.

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we all know one song makes an artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the two big strikes were

1. This was supposed to be a great indicator of his talent from someone who liked him a lot and
2. Guys who rap like that tend to stick with it.

But if you have some of his stuff you think is different I'd be open to hearing it, I need some new hip hop.

NT

siccjay
11-14-2005, 04:25 AM
Do you have ways to download or do I need to provide the tracks?

Heres some good ones.

Dance With The Devil
Dominant Species
Caught in a Hustle
Bin Laden

Gary Stevenson
11-14-2005, 04:41 AM
I'm not sure how politically based Dance with the devil is...i think that while it's a really deep and dark track that i really like, it will turn most people off from his music and they wont give his other work a chance (especially the ending). I've experienced this when people listen to this track before any of his others.

ZZzzZZzz

siccjay
11-14-2005, 04:43 AM
He just asked for some good tracks by IT. I didn't mean for them to be political. Dance with the Devil surely is not hahaha

Gary Stevenson
11-14-2005, 04:47 AM
fair enough.
I just get in a zone and listen to that song and it just creeps me out everytime i listen to it. cant keep it off the playlist though...

siccjay
11-14-2005, 04:50 AM
I've found the opposite really. Most people I have let hear that track have been intrigued by it and want to hear more.

benza13
11-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Sage Francis is another somewhat underground rapper who is politically motivated. I first heard him on a Punk-o-Rama CD, and they chose a particularly politically motivated song about 9/11 and the aftermath. All of his albums are politically motivated.

11-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I guess I'm old, but Negativland is probably the most interesting purely political band, ever.

...and they have been sued more times than I could imagine... blending satire, politics, and doing stuff that will land themselves in legal trouble to do what they do.

Rage may be more fist pumping and angry - but Negativland is nuanced - and has been doing their thing forever.

YourFoxyGrandma
11-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Against Me! They're getting kinda big, and justly so. They're sortof acoustic punk and almost completely political.

Baby, I'm an Anarchist! (http://www.rit.edu/~emr3008/anarchist.mp3)
Cliche Guevara (http://www.againstme.net/mp3/cliche1.mp3)
Pints of Guiness Make You Strong (http://www.againstme.net/mp3/pints1.mp3)

Lazymeatball
11-14-2005, 08:22 PM
from the other end of the political spectrum, i give you:
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/60/04/45/04/0060044504352_500X500.jpg

jesusarenque
11-14-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from the other end of the political spectrum, i give you:
http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/60/04/45/04/0060044504352_500X500.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet. What is some of the other worst politically-themed music out there?

Lazymeatball
11-14-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sweet. What is some of the other worst politically-themed music out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard Wagner ? http://www.neuschwanstein.de/images/wagner_370.jpg

(actually the music's pretty good, but the antisemitism is kind of a turn off.)