PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of this email?

ripdog
11-10-2005, 01:26 PM
I have a secondary earthlink.net email account that is not plagued with spam the way the primary account is. This account has received zero spam in the 2 weeks that it has been active. Yesterday I got this message:

Subject: layoffbramble
Sender: Jordan Call (SaundraDealxpy@aol.com)
To: 9 very similar earthlink addresses
Body:

curry demigod yiddish adhesive usurp siva peptide tofu gauze bettor sentiment mirfak sonority restoration little chippendale entice mayonnaise ott accusatory calculi calla bench tertiary birth character decatur cessna cranky hypothalamus jackpot caddis fill rail tinder marrietta simon gypsum impotent utica iliac droopy warn benedict darling chronology crawford scrap simonson argumentation abrupt foley f flora napkin propound blatz bale sludge savonarola tungstate mcdonnell berenices calumniate africa garden kennedy

WTF? I went in and put this address on my blocked list. What else should I do? I'm guessing that I'll be getting spammed from other addresses once they buy my address from this prick.

Freakin
11-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Whatever you do, don't respond to it asking WTF.

TheTROLL
11-10-2005, 02:04 PM
It's a probe, to confirm the address is still valid. The nonsense text is just to make it look less like spam to spam-filter software.

CrazyN8
11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

classic. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ripdog
11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't respond to or follow links in emails that come from sketchy sources. I don't think it really matters though. The sender did not get a "could not deliver" message back on my address, so I think I'm screwed. Should I complain to AOL that one of their members is sending out these malicious emails?

CORed
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't respond to or follow links in emails that come from sketchy sources. I don't think it really matters though. The sender did not get a "could not deliver" message back on my address, so I think I'm screwed. Should I complain to AOL that one of their members is sending out these malicious emails?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "from" address is probably fake. Unless you check the headers and see that the message really did come from somebody on AOL, don't bother.