PDA

View Full Version : hand vs excellent player, limit satellite

11-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi guys, I'd like to post a hand from a live limit satellite I recently played in. I know that this is a tourney hand, but I believe that responses will be better here since it was a limit game.

First place is a 2006 WSOP main event entry, all other finishes are worth much less. There are around 700 entrants that compete in different rounds. Tonight is a round 1 that began with 14 people. 4 remain, and the top 3 advance to the next round, to compete against other survivors. Blinds escalate very quickly in this structure. This hand was played live, the cards, chips, and action are the best I can recall.

This hand the blinds are 80/160, so this is a 160/320 game right now. I am the button with around 5k in chips, and the BB has around 5,500. UTG is the small stack with around 1k, and SB has around 2.5k.

UTG folds, I have QsJh and raise. SB re-raises to 480. BB folds, I call.

Pot: 1,120
Flop is Q-8-2, all clubs: villain bets, I raise, he re-raises. I call

Pot: 2,080
Turn is 6h: villain bets 320, I … ?
Villain has around 400 chips remaining after his turn bet.

Villain and I know each other, he introduced me to 2+2 and internet poker. He is unquestionably the better player, and we both know it. I’ve often asked him for help with my own game. We have played each other in the Party 30/60 game, but this is the first time we’ve played together live. At the full ring 30/60 he and I both have a similar play style (TAG) and PT stats of something like 17/11/2 . We’ve never played shorthanded with each other before.

What do you think is the correct play here? Anyone play the flop differently?

11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
This hand plays itself because villain is going to get (mostly) allin.

I personally would just raise the turn and get all his money in and hope he's still drawing with AK or pushing a hand like TT or JJ.

If you dont like that, call and hope to spike a 5 outer if you're behind an overpair, or spike your kicker if he has you dominated with AQ.

If you take this line, you're calling any river.

Personally, I raise the turn.

Eric P
11-10-2005, 01:02 PM
Folding this pre-flop wouldn't be such a big mistake, all you need to do is survive one more elimination and the blinds will quickly eat up one of these two shorter stacks. that being said once you raise and hit your queen, you are committed to going all in even thouhg it would seem you are beat. The only reasonable hand you can beat is a pocket pair below queen, so just set him in and hope.

pudley4
11-10-2005, 01:18 PM
If this guy is as good as you say he is, you're toast. The top 3 places here pay exactly the same, so there's no reason (for him) to try to win 1st and risk going out 4th. He knows this, and yet he 3bet preflop, 3bet the flop, and bet the turn. He knows he only has a little over 1 BB left, so he's screwed if he loses. He's definitely not expecting to lose.

I probably fold preflop, and then just call down when the flop comes and I have top pair. As it is, I probably fold the turn (because I'm likely to have either 0 or 4 outs)

jba
11-10-2005, 01:20 PM
There is no way you can fold top pair in this spot against a tricky player.

You are in a steal position and he is very short on chips. After his preflop 3bet and flop lead he is down to about 3 bbs. As soon as you raise the flop, your are putting him in a spot where he must either fold or commit to showdown -- he is very rarely going to call the flop and fold the turn here because any further money he puts in is going to commit him to the pot even more. Once he decides he's putting all of his chips in, it is time to maximize his fold equity against you, so he will often be 3betting very light on the flop. This isn't like a normal cash game where it would be bad to 3-bet a pocket pair here since he is able to fully realize his hot/cold equity and he isn't opening himself up to a tough decision of folding the best hand vs. paying off big vs strong hands. Because he might be drawing you absolutely must commit him to this pot by raising the turn.

Anyways, in this situation with these type of chip stacks and a hand this strong I tend to play more passively than I would in a cash game, because the smaller stacks will be more inclined to keep jamming with lots of hands trying to get you to fold and at the same time are more likely to get away from weaker hands when you play back at them early in the hand before they are committed to showdown. With these specific stacks I will usually either call down and bet if checked to or wait to raise a non-club turn.

edit: I would like to point out that OP apparently miscalculated the stack size of SB -- according to the action he has closer to 1.5k when the hand starts, and doubling him up will only take us to 3.5k

11-10-2005, 01:36 PM
You are right, I misstated his stack size to start, he does have closer to 1.6k at the beginning of the hand.

JBA I agree with your analysis.

Results in white: <font color="white"> I raise the turn and he goes all-in for the last 400. River is a brick and he shows KQ to win the pot and double up.</font>

11-10-2005, 01:37 PM
To clarify, the top 3 places here don't pay anything at all. We advance with the same number of chips we end the round with to play other survivors in the next round. There is still a long way to go.

I think folding to the re-raise preflop is really weak. This is 4-handed and I have decent cards, position, and more chips.