PDA

View Full Version : I really wish 2+2 would offer this format

WalkAmongUs
11-10-2005, 12:05 PM
http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink.cby/detail/494701.html

I love this. I don't know how economical it would be or how the business aspect works with it...But damn I would love it if i could listen to 2+2 books on my ipod while I'm working...

TexBigSlick
11-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Here! Here!

11-10-2005, 02:06 PM
You could always pull out your microphone on your computer and read the book out loud and record it.

11-10-2005, 02:51 PM
If 2+2 books, in particular HOH and TOP were available in an audio format there is an extremely high probability that I would buy them.

I do audiobooks. I have, I believe 15-20 on my ipod. I have been considering asking about audio formats for weeks now after seeing Phil Gordon's book on audible.

And to toss another idea out there, a 2+2 podcast would take about nine seconds to be the #1 poker podcast out there. Lessons, hand analysis perhaps of hands from recent televised tourneies, interviews.

11-10-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I do audiobooks. I have, I believe 15-20 on my ipod. I have been considering asking about audio formats for weeks now after seeing Phil Gordon's book on audible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are any of those poker books besides Gordon's? Is Gordon's book on CD or tape? Thanks.

CrazyEvan
11-10-2005, 04:49 PM
I agree that I would want them, aqnd would certainly buy them...( all) but on the other hand then they are too easily pirated. Then anybody who wouldn't go through the effort of buying and reading the book would just steal it online and get the information out of it with no effort (and at no cost). Alot more of your opponents would be "book educated" ( bad for business ) without the publishers getting their fair share of the profits.

TakeMeToTheRiver
11-10-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that I would want them, aqnd would certainly buy them...( all) but on the other hand then they are too easily pirated. Then anybody who wouldn't go through the effort of buying and reading the book would just steal it online and get the information out of it with no effort (and at no cost). Alot more of your opponents would be "book educated" ( bad for business ) without the publishers getting their fair share of the profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's silly. Its the same for all audio books and all music. If someone wants to steal copyrighted material, they are going to do it. People have also scanned and circulated books that were subject to copyright via the internet...

The fact that it can be pirated is not enough of a reason not to do it.

CrazyEvan
11-10-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm not saying not to do it. I agree 100% with what you said about pirateing software, my main concern wouldn't be people not paying for it. ( you can read the books in the bookstores without paying for them either ). I just don't want every jerkbag and their grandma getting the information that they wouldn't have the patience to get if they actually had to sit down and read it. Based on the fact that most of my friends won't read poker books ...because they hate to read. They like to play it and they want to get better but they won't put the effort into reading, and I like having that advantage over lazy people.

"But that's me and I could be wrong" - Tyler Durden

WalkAmongUs
11-10-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could always pull out your microphone on your computer and read the book out loud and record it.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i had to listen to myself for 8 hours a day in headphones i'd commit suicide.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying not to do it. I agree 100% with what you said about pirateing software, my main concern wouldn't be people not paying for it. ( you can read the books in the bookstores without paying for them either ). I just don't want every jerkbag and their grandma getting the information that they wouldn't have the patience to get if they actually had to sit down and read it. Based on the fact that most of my friends won't read poker books ...because they hate to read. They like to play it and they want to get better but they won't put the effort into reading, and I like having that advantage over lazy people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. But I'd buy all the 2+2 audio books in a second. Couldn't they make like a subscriber webpage for them or something?

jim grass
11-10-2005, 09:04 PM
I`ve been suggesting this concept to Mason for a very very long time.

jim grass

lotus776
11-10-2005, 09:37 PM
yeah, the pirating thing is definately an element BUT since like MP3s the product is infinately available and with little maintainence.

MicroBob
11-11-2005, 02:09 AM
i volunteer myself to do the voice-work if 2+2 is interested.

worked in radio for 12 yrs and am very comfortable on a mic. believe i could do a professional job.

also have been considering the poker/2+2 type podcast. interviews with prominent 2+2'ers would be the thrust. never considered hand analysis or anything like that.

New York Jet
11-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Please do it!!! This would easily become the #1 poker podcast out there.

Here is what I listen to. If I am missing a good one, please add it:
<ul type="square"> All In Poker on MySportsRadio.com
Card Club on Lord Admiral Radio
HoldemRadio.com
Poker Channel
PokerDiagram
Rounders [/list]

New York Jet
11-11-2005, 09:58 AM
I could not agree more. But if you look at the 2+2 homepage, you can tell that this will never happen. The homepage looks cheezey, like it was designed by a 16 year old using FrontPage (they're partying like its 1999). 2+2 makes great books, but they are definately low tech.

Make them yourself. Here is what you need...
Book Scanner (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1076960&amp;sku=A333-1036)
TextAloudMP3 (http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/index.html)
NeoSpeech Voices (http://www.nextup.com/neospeech.html)

So far, I created MP3s for SSH, TPFAP, and HoH1. It takes a little work to edit the OCR, but well worth it IMO.

Another option is to rip the audio from a DVD. I have Sklansky the DVD and Final Table Poker ripped to MP3 format.

Hellmouth
11-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Is the scanner necessary? I was thinking of spiral binding my books anyways. As long as you can copy the text from the picture (ie PDF etc) then shouldnt it be possible to do this with a normal scanner?

Greg

TheNoocH
11-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I actually have that scanner at work...i noticed that if you scan something that the charts, etc from the page on the opposite side bleed through...any way you know of to eliminate or minimize that?
thanks

WalkAmongUs
11-11-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Make them yourself. Here is what you need...
Book Scanner (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1076960&amp;sku=A333-1036)
TextAloudMP3 (http://www.nextup.com/TextAloud/index.html)
NeoSpeech Voices (http://www.nextup.com/neospeech.html)

So far, I created MP3s for SSH, TPFAP, and HoH1. It takes a little work to edit the OCR, but well worth it IMO.

Another option is to rip the audio from a DVD. I have Sklansky the DVD and Final Table Poker ripped to MP3 format.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any interest in selling these? I already own all the books and can prove it so as to avoid any copyright infringements.

Cancuk
11-11-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are any of those poker books besides Gordon's? Is Gordon's book on CD or tape? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tape?

MicroBob
11-11-2005, 07:59 PM
I have listened to none of these.

I know virtually nothing about pod-casting.

Friend of mine is kind of into them and listens to some....was going to start his own pod-cast with another friend of his (I was going to be a 'guest' and talk about online-poker and the WSOP) but I think it kind of stalld-out on them.

I was going to pick his brain on how to do the pod-cast thing.

Also saw a book on 'elementary pod-casting' at Borders the other day.

I'll get to this eventually.

But I've got too much stuff on the table right now.
Need to play more hands at the poker-table to pay the bills and build my bank-roll.
Need to pack up all my stuff so I can move to a better place.

Generally need to prioritize and get my life together a bit more.

But I might get to it in a few weeks/months.

I was previously a minor-league play-by-play sportscaster (mostly baseball and hockey...some hoops and football).

I have conducted lengthy interviews with guys ranging from Eric Gagne, Mike Piazza, Jeff Kent and Tommy Lasorda to Joe-Blow, the local newspaper guy, and the famous San Diego Chicken (seriously).
I wasn't the world's best interviewer but I thought I was decent most of the time.

When I learn more about how to do the pod-casting and have more free-time on my hands to try to do it right then I'll look into it more seriously.

I also know precious little about computer-audio programs, downloading/uploading, MP3's, and the like.

I went to lime-wire once to try to figure out how to download music....but I'm an idiot and didn't get very far.
(just shows the significance of how far behind I am in trying to figure out how this stuff works).

New York Jet
11-11-2005, 11:30 PM
That is correct. If you remove the binding, you can run it through any scanner.

New York Jet
11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
No.

11-12-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just hit this thread and saw the question...I don't have Gordon's book. I have seen it in CD format and on audible.com where you can just download it as an MP3

11-12-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also have been considering the poker/2+2 type podcast. interviews with prominent 2+2'ers would be the thrust. never considered hand analysis or anything like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would absolutely give this a listen.