PDA

View Full Version : Best Billy Joel Album?

samjjones
11-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Greatest Hits collections excluded...what is his best album? I'd say:

http://img113.echo.cx/img113/6585/billyjoelstranger6tf.jpg

diebitter
11-10-2005, 11:36 AM
The italian restaurant one.

I do love 'downeaster alexa' though as a track - can't remember which one it's on.

IndieMatty
11-10-2005, 11:39 AM
Damnit! I was thinking about this as a thread the other day. I love Billy Joel. I think OP nailed it, but I'm a huge fan of:

http://www.billyjoel.com/gfx/albums/NylonCurtain.jpg

RunDownHouse
11-10-2005, 11:40 AM
This thread is much less fun since you nailed it in your OP and I don't think there's much competition from other albums.

samjjones
11-10-2005, 11:42 AM
I don't think this is necessarily true...I think you could make good arguments for others, particularly Glass Houses and The Nylon Curtain. The idea for this thread occurred to me on the train ride in this morning while listing to Turnstiles.

RunDownHouse
11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
Glass Houses would be my second pick, but I still think The Stranger is too much of a powerhouse.

joshman1204
11-10-2005, 12:25 PM
there was a good billy joel album???

man you learn something new everyday

arod4276
11-10-2005, 12:28 PM
none

JonPKibble
11-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Piano Man, The Stranger comes in a close second though.

TJSWAN
11-10-2005, 04:46 PM
My parents had one of those RCA club memberships years ago and 52nd street got auto delivered. So rather than return it they gave it to me and I'm still partial to that one. In general it's all good up to and including the Nylon Curtain.

Tim

samjjones
11-10-2005, 05:04 PM
You don't like An Innocent Man?

youtalkfunny
11-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I can't believe it took so long to get a vote for 52nd Street.

I got the old man's car, and I got a jazz guitar...

istewart
11-10-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
none

[/ QUOTE ]

Dominic
11-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Songs in the Attic

11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Songs in the Attic

[/ QUOTE ]

This a compilation of previous songs, so it's not really an album.

Dominic
11-10-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Songs in the Attic

[/ QUOTE ]

This a compilation of previous songs, so it's not really an album.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't care. it's still my favorite.

Aloysius
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe it took so long to get a vote for 52nd Street.

I got the old man's car, and I got a jazz guitar...

[/ QUOTE ]

Zanzibar! Great track. Whole album is solid, but is no The Stranger IMO. The Stranger > 52nd Street > Turnstiles, although all 3 are really good.

To me - consistently either underrated or forgotten album - is Cold Spring Harbor.

TJSWAN
11-10-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh it's all right and I did buy it ASAP when it came out, I'm just a little old school on my Rock n Roll style tatstes.

Tim the geezer /images/graemlins/cool.gif

youtalkfunny
11-11-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To me - consistently either underrated or forgotten album - is Cold Spring Harbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have the only copy where his voice doesn't sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

I've never heard the album, because I can never get halfway through any single song.

(I was going to mention "Songs in the Attic", but agreed that it was too much like the disqualified "Greatest Hits".)

Aloysius
11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have the only copy where his voice doesn't sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

I've never heard the album, because I can never get halfway through any single song.

(I was going to mention "Songs in the Attic", but agreed that it was too much like the disqualified "Greatest Hits".)

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't they remaster it a while ago, so copies of Cold Spring Harbor being sold now are where he sounds normal? Or is that the 1 you are referring to? Meh - I still like it alot.

_Kevin_
11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Greatest Hits collections excluded...what is his best album? I'd say:

http://img113.echo.cx/img113/6585/billyjoelstranger6tf.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing more to say!

youtalkfunny
11-11-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someday--SOME DAY--I'm gonna do that song at karaoke, using helium to hit the high notes. Tell me that wouldn't bring down the house.

Turn up the "reverb", sing the first verse in your lowest Elvis voice...then, as the music ramps up for those high notes, you've got plenty of time to take a big toke of helium and belt out:

I AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM
AN INNOCENT MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

OH YES I AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

The crowd goes bonkers, and you're back to Elvis for Verse Two.

(WARNING: If you try this, make sure you have a spotter behind you. Big hits of helium, followed by singing long notes, are a long time to go without oxygen. You won't feel short of breath, because your lungs keep getting filled, but at any second, your lights could suddenly go out, and down you go. Trust me on that one.)