PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 AA lots of callers preflop

fuzzbox
11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
5/10 6-max

Hero has A/images/graemlins/heart.gifA/images/graemlins/spade.gif UTG+1 with 1k and there are various stacks on the board, most about 800+.

Preflop
1 limper, hero makes it 45, co calls, button calls, SB calls, limper calls.

Flop (190)
9/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/heart.gif6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Checked to hero, who bets 120, folded to SB who calls.

Turn (450)
5/images/graemlins/spade.gif
SB checks with 550 behind. Whats the plan?

Hattifnatt
11-10-2005, 11:13 AM
I check here and call a decent bet on the river and bet 2/3 pot or so if he checks.

psuasskicker
11-10-2005, 11:18 AM
I check here and call a decent bet on the river

Why give him a free river? I think there are a bunch of hands that call you if behind, and I don't mind picking the pot up on the spot. Not that the board is particularly draw heavy, but there are plenty of cards there that I don't really want to see come off on the river.

Betting now most likely gives you the option to check behind on the river...same as calling his bet or value betting if he checks. I bet somewhere between 0.5x and 1x pot.

- C -

Hattifnatt
11-10-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I check here and call a decent bet on the river

Why give him a free river? I think there are a bunch of hands that call you if behind, and I don't mind picking the pot up on the spot. Not that the board is particularly draw heavy, but there are plenty of cards there that I don't really want to see come off on the river.

Betting now most likely gives you the option to check behind on the river...same as calling his bet or value betting if he checks. I bet somewhere between 0.5x and 1x pot.

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]
Betting is definitely an option, but I like the check behind on the turn more because it becomes cheaper for you if he has the set (and jackpot if you hit your 2-outer on the river). And he might call your river bet with something as bad as AK high.

Me myself always used to bet in situation like this before but have lataley (with success) done more of the check behind line.

Im very intresting to hear what some of the very great experienced players here have to say about it.

t_petrosian
11-10-2005, 12:33 PM
I check. I hate letting the pot get too big with AA. Keep it small and allow him to bluff off some money to you on the river. If you're lost, you keep it small. The question is... if you pot it here, can you fold a big reraise? The only real question is if he moves in on the river. That's what poker is all about. But I agree with a previous poster... check here, call 2/3 to a full pot-sized raise by him on the river

t_petrosian
11-10-2005, 12:39 PM
A play I use quite a bit with those big cards is to check the turn and river. I don't want to lose a stack with big overpairs... I keep the pot small in these situations and also make money when a guy tries to bluff at me on those two streets. There is nothing worse than being out of position with a hand like KK, raising PF and flop and having some dude just call both times - especially when there's $200 in the pot and you each have another $1,000 behind. Even with KK and no draws, this feeling is terrible. I find when I check the turn out of position, aggressive players will bluff away money to you (here and the river). Further, this play will buy you some respect when you raise PF with AK and catch nothing on the flop, then raise the flop and check the turn. You won't be getting hammered by the guys with 66 on the turn if they know you play AA the same way.

In this case, however, you are IN position. If he has a set or straight... or two goofy pair, his best play is to make a value bet. Well, at this point, you are happy paying only a value bet to get through the hand... so check to him and see

josie_wales
11-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Any read on the caller?

He could very well be calling with a mid-PP such as 77-TT, perhaps even JJ-QQ and didnt want to reraise.

He could be putting you on an AQ/AK type of hand and fold if you bet here, but try to steal on the river if you check it down.

If he actually has a hand here....like if he flopped a set, then filled, he will be hoping for you to bet.

So.

If you bet now and he has a boat, your stack will probably be gone....If he flat calls your bet, then leads the turn, you are pot-committed. No gain/Not Good.

If you bet now and he has nothing and was looking to steal on the river, he fold. No gain/Not Good.

If you check and he does have a hand, he will try to value bet the river, which you can call at a much lower price than in the previous possibilites

If you check and he doesnt have a hand, his bet will be called and you will win.

I really cannot put him on any reasonable draw here. Thus, I feel the most +EV would be check it down, control the size of the pot.

Ya dig?

jw

Hattifnatt
11-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Any more ideas on this check-behind line?

fuzzbox
11-11-2005, 07:34 AM
I tend to like checking behind here a fair amount, but given that he had so few chips, and I felt I would call a push on the river, I thought I would try to get value from JJ/QQ style hands, as well as lose the max to a better hand.

I bet 250, villain raised all-in and I grumblingly called.

Villain showed 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/heart.gif for the flopped nuts.

Heimdal
11-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Bet
The stacks are not deep enough to check behind. A boat will probably bet around $300 on the river so by checking behind hero only gains $250 when villian has a boat.
I also think hero is ahead very often. He raised preflop and made a weak c-bet that got called in one place. If hero bets turn villian will have a hard time folding TT-KK. A scarecard could fall on river and hero will not get more value from these hands.
And there is no reason to give hands like 77 a free draw.