PDA

View Full Version : HS Reunions

DeezNuts
11-10-2005, 06:22 AM
So my 10-yr HS reunion is coming up in a couple weeks. They went low budget and went the evite-route rather than mail out invitations(better so you can see who is going). I've lost touch with basically everyone from HS and don't really run into many of them, even though I am in the middle of Los Angeles and went to HS in the suburbs(Inland Empire). The only guys I still keep in touch with from my class are in grad school in NY or SF and won't be able to make it. My close group of friends was a mish-mosh of stoners and knuckleheads that were awesome to party with, but once I went to college there was really not much for us to relate to each other with and we all went our separate ways. None of these guys seem to be coming to the reunion either.

So basically it will be mostly acquaintances/semi-friends that I haven't seen in eight-to-ten years, and people that I won't remember for the life of me. Luckily, it is about fifteen minutes from my house and you can pay at the door($15 extra), which is the route I am going with. Still on the fence about going, not sure what I should do, but I guess just looking for anyone with reunion stories on what I should expect(although I know that they aren't all the same). Is it just the same people but with inflated egos and extra weight? Do the successful nerds come back and show the "cool kids"(I guess I would be considered one of the "cool kids" back then not that it means anything after HS) their success? Maybe I've just seen Hollywood's depiction of these events. I don't consider myself a "success" or a failure, maybe somewhere in between(6 figure job + p*ker, single).

Basically, I just want to see some old faces and reconnect with people and have a good time, is that pretty much what happens? Just wondering. Feel free to share your reunion stories(this keeps the kids outta the thread).

DN

whiskeytown
11-10-2005, 06:47 AM
I have none -

I had such a terrible and depressing time in High School, nothing could make me go back and hang with those losers in Kalispell, MT - not even a WSOP bracelet -

I liked the comment Joan Cusack made in Grosse Pointe Blank - "I went to my reunion - it was like everyone swelled up in size" - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

But enjoy yourself - don't drive though - those are drinking festivals dressed up as HS reunions - LOL.

RB

dcasper70
11-10-2005, 07:54 AM
I skipped mine, for pretty much the reasons you describe, but I regret it.

A buddy that did go relayed great info.
The jocks were highly unsuccessful. Most of the 'in' crowd were overweight and problem riddled. And many of the quieter wallflower type chicks blossomed into sex goddesses that asked about me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I was a metalhead stoner, but also very successful in athletics and accelerated academic programs, so I was on the fringe of a lot of different groups. Having changed a great deal since HS (for the better), I would have had an awesome time. Probably could have popped a nut or two...

If it's $15 and close to home, I say go. The worst that can happen is you leave early with a buzz and down a couple bucks. This event is highly weighted to the upside.

SeaSiren
11-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Go - you'll likely be surprised what a good time you have.
I was more of a wallflower in HS and blossomed professionally (& physically) after... I too had reservations, but went with a good old friend, another former wallflower...and we were the belle's of the ball... a nice, unexpected ego boost. Being a bit more mature - you'll find the conversation pretty interesting... It's cool to see what people have become in their next chapter - I made new friends, from old acquaintances. Go without expectations... and be truly 'interested' and you'll be 'interesting'! Have fun.

11-10-2005, 10:07 AM
The main question....is it an open bar? I think that is going to have a major affect on the decision.

2planka
11-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Only HS reunion I've attended was my wife's 10th. I didn't know anyone there. Instead of writing my name on the sticky "hello my name is" tag, I wrote "HUSBAND." Ended up having a great time, as several other spouses who also didn't know anyone latched on to me. Many, many drinks....

jaydub
11-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Doesn't sound like you have much else going on that weekend and it gives you a chance to booze it up with lots of people you haven't seen in 10 years. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Plus being single and seeing as how you weren't a loser in HS, it's pretty likely you will have sex.

Oh, and I am shocked to hear that some 2p2ers had horrible HS experiences. Never would have seen that one coming.

ChipWrecked
11-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I went to a tiny high school in Arkansas. Attended both 10 and 20 year reunions and had a great time at each. I was a Chicago transplant to the school in 3rd grade; so while not an outcast in HS I wasn't 'one of them' either.

You will find folks don't look much different at the ten year. That hits by the twenty.

DeezNuts
11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't sound like you have much else going on that weekend and it gives you a chance to booze it up with lots of people you haven't seen in 10 years. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Plus being single and seeing as how you weren't a loser in HS, it's pretty likely you will have sex.

Oh, and I am shocked to hear that some 2p2ers had horrible HS experiences. Never would have seen that one coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

HS was great. Academically, it was a breeze, and socially it was a non-stop party. My parents worked nights, so my house was party central my senior year(My dad was pretty upset when he came home early and saw a bong, though).

I am korean and grew up in a very white suburb of LA(yup, I was the token asian that hung out with the jocks and scored a 1500 and was in all the AP classes while my buddies didn't even take the SAT). Somehow I got sucked into hanging out mainly with other Asians at Berkeley, which continues to this day. I am hoping to reconnect with my white and black bretheren at the reunion. One of my problems with the reunion is none of my buddies are going, just mostly classmates from my AP classes, some of whom I liked, but most of whom I didn't. I also don't think it will be open bar. I guess I will have to BYOS(Scotch).

I do have other things to do that night, but not until 11pm, and this reunion starts at 7pm. Is it usually an all-night thing? Like go-until-they-kick-you-out? Doesn't seem so since they rented a space($70 at the door, $55 pre-sale). Thanks for the stories, keep em coming!

DN

sfer
11-10-2005, 01:46 PM
http://home.snafu.de/fablab/queerview/495grossepointeblank/foto495df_sw.jpg

It was as if everyone had swelled.

nolanfan34
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://home.snafu.de/fablab/queerview/495grossepointeblank/foto495df_sw.jpg

It was as if everyone had swelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

You win second place for posting this quote in this thread!! Congrats!!

To the OP, I would go, based on what others have said. If it's not terribly expensive, at least there should be booze there.

tdarko
11-10-2005, 03:09 PM
i still talk to and see everybody that i was close with in HS so why do i need to go to a function so see people that i was either mean to or didn't like? i don't really see the point, i will be seeing my friends that i see regularly anyway and people that i don't want to see (and probably wish i were a failure and don't want to see me).

i will go to my gf's but i also know a ton of people she went to high school with and haven't seen in forever, should be good times /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

PokerGoblin
11-10-2005, 03:25 PM
What the hell actually happens at a reunion anyway? Is it just an open room for everyone to sit around and chat or is it organized in some way?

I too am curious as to others' experiences, especially those who were reluctant to go.

Mine is coming up in two years, and I was thinking about the topic the other day.

My story is similar to many here. I went to HS and partied some and stuff and wasn't a dweeb but wasn't super polular either. Of course, I am a completely different person now than I was then.

The things I keep going back to in my mind is that all of the people in HS that I care about today I can pick up the phone and call them any time I want to. And I do stay in touch with four or five of the people. It hasn't been worth my effort to contact the other 250 people for the past eight years, why the hell do I care what they're up to now? Actually, I don't at all.

Furthermore the town I grew up in sucked in HS and it still sucks today. It's a smallish town w/ a pop. of about 10k people. Lots of rural farmer types, and 30% of the people that live in houses in the city rent their house. Basic small town America I guess. I can see them putting on a half-ass production where you have to bring your own alcohol or maybe even alcohol will be prohibited, in which case it would be a very short evening for the 'Goblin.

PG

peterchi
11-10-2005, 03:35 PM
My sister organized her 10-year since she was a senior class officer.

It was held in the upstairs room of a local bar, nothing too fancy but not a complete [censored]-hole either.

She said it was like middle school at first, everyone clustered among their own little groups of friends, and then at the first drop of alcohol it turned into an all-out party and EVERYONE was acting like they were best friends.

One girl apparently passed out on a couch and puked all over herself.

I think "drink-till-you-drop" is the theme at most of these things. I dunno for sure though, my 10-year isn't for another four years.

DeezNuts
11-10-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell actually happens at a reunion anyway? Is it just an open room for everyone to sit around and chat or is it organized in some way?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really what I want to know. They said they'll have champagne and dinner and a "slideshow"? If they don't have a bar(it def. won't be open bar), I will be quite upset. Sounds a bit corny, as I just want to see old buddies(a couple may end up showing up), as I have almost completely lost contact with pretty much everyone from my graduating class(would like to email some of them but don't have their addresses).

I can understand people bringing their spouses, but it seems like a lot of people bring their girl/boyfriends. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to their gf/bf's reunion, they must be forced to go by someone that doesn't want to go alone? It would sound like hell to go to someone else's HS reunion.

DN

PokerNoob
11-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I've never been to one of mine (stoner dude at a thousand kid HS, lost touch with all my friends), but have gone to all my wife's (jockette at a little high school) and they were a blast. The cliques were all able to mix and mingle and everybody had good times. Maybe because it was so small town? My wife always wins "least changed".

DeezNuts
11-10-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My wife always wins "least changed".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Do they really do these "awards"?

I also went to one of those 600 students/graduating class schools, which is why I don't recognize half the names attending the reunion. I was asked to help set up the reunion since I was senior class student council, but declined because I still harbor ill will for being kicked out in the middle of the year for drinking in the parking lot of a football game. Good times.

DN

PokerNoob
11-10-2005, 04:23 PM
There were about 10 of those type awards, it wasn't a real big deal, it probably took about 15 minutes to do it, by nomination and applause. All the awards were complementary to neutral.

J.A.Sucker
11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I honestly don't see how you don't want to go. I was ambivalent about high school. It was pretty fun, but I only still talk to one guy from there, and he wasn't even a friend of mine during HS. Still, I will surely go to mine next year. The fact that it's right across town makes this a no-brainer for you. Get drunk, see how the Prom Queen is now 200 lbs and has 6 kids and 2 ex-hubbies. If that's not good times, I don't know what is!

DeezNuts
11-10-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get drunk, see how the Prom Queen is now 200 lbs and has 6 kids and 2 ex-hubbies. If that's not good times, I don't know what is!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you put it this way, it's a no-brainer!

KDawgCometh
11-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I plan on going to my 10th in 2 1/2 years. I kinda sorta talk to some of my friends, but really I just want to go there to find some girls to hook up with that I didn't or couldn't hook up with in HS. I think that you should go, unless you really hated your HS experience, it should be fairly cool I think

tdarko
11-10-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that you should go, unless you really hated your HS experience, it should be fairly cool I think

[/ QUOTE ]
see i feel the opposite. i think that if you hated it you should go back to find that high school was nothing special but just a time in life and nothing to really hold on to.

i personally had a great time in high school and got everything i wanted out of it. then i went to college and had even a better time and so on and so on. i just don't need my ego stroked like some do i guess. i had my experience, it was great and then i moved on to bigger and better things.

peterchi
11-10-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get drunk, see how the Prom Queen is now 200 lbs and has 6 kids and 2 ex-hubbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brag post: I dated the prom queen.

(from the year below me)

I liked to quote the line from The Rock quite a bit from then on.

Soul Daddy
11-10-2005, 08:44 PM
There were 30 people at mine, 10 of whom I am still in regular contact with. So it was basically a night out with a few faces I haven't seen in a while.

B Dids
11-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I basically hid from my high school until after the 10th year passed.

I just want a newsletter telling me who is married to who, who is gay and who is dead.

Maybe in 10 years I'll drop a lot of weight and spite [censored] somebody or something at the next one, that would be nice.

edtost
11-10-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get drunk, see how the Prom Queen is now 200 lbs and has 6 kids and 2 ex-hubbies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brag post: I dated the prom queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brag Post (that no one who has actually met me will believe, but is nonetheless true): I was prom king, and dating the prom queen.

youtalkfunny
11-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm not the least bit physically attractive. I've had almost no success with women (when I found one who would have me, I married her).

But I'm quite certain that if I hadn't brought my wife, I could've got laid at my 10-yr reunion. I was getting signals from more than one unaccompanied girl.

To be clear, I *never* feel "quite certain" of that, no matter how much booze I've had. But that night was different.

(And after admitting all that, I don't see how I can ever post here again.)

diebitter
11-11-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(And after admitting all that, I don't see how I can ever post here again.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, there's much worse admitted to on here.

imported_anacardo
11-11-2005, 06:59 PM
The purpose of high school reunions is to show off your success / mate, or, failing that, notch that bedpost. If the one is not a viable option, the other usually is. Plan and act accordingly.

MrMon
11-11-2005, 07:06 PM
By all means go. I hadn't kept in touch with anyone, yet oddly enough they all remembered me. I've been to both my 10th and 20th and you'll get some great stories. Some of mine:

Class clown became a middle school principal.
Resident class communist joined the Air Force and became an officer.
All the geeks became successful doctors, lawyers, engineers, and accountants.
The guys generally looked good after 10 years, a lot of the girls looked like hell, especially the party crowd who smoked.
One dead out of 600 in 10 years, 3 in 20 years.
And the all-time classic, I swear it's true, a guy who was in our calculus study group became a woman.