PDA

View Full Version : Question on Ciaffone and Reuben Book P77

Ryendal
11-10-2005, 06:21 AM
It's the question number 4 in his quiz on NL holdem

"You pick up Ac9c in late position. The player on your right opens the pot for 100$. What do you do ?"

Answer " Fold "

Explanation " Your position relative to the raiser is the worst possible...Ac9c is a drawing hand requiring very favorable position to playing in a raised pot. "

Well, I don't understand, It seems we are in position, but Ciaffone write that it is the worst position.

Does someone could enlight me with this problem ?

Thank you

Gavagai
11-10-2005, 06:29 AM
I've often read Ciaffone saying that he prefers to be directly on the right of an aggressive player in a multiway pot so he can have position on the rest of the field when that player bets, and that being directly on their left is bad because you are out of position to everyone else when they bet. I guess that would apply if you are directly on the left of any preflop raiser who is likely to continuation bet.

But I dunno.

Gavagai

fuzzbox
11-10-2005, 06:32 AM
You are positioned immediately after the pre-flop raiser. Thus the raiser will likely bet the flop, and you will have to make a decision on whether to call or fold before the rest of the field (any one of whom could stick in a big raise).

If you had limped, then the guy to your immediate left had raised, then 4 players had called, then you might call with such a hand, as now you have position "relative to the raiser". Thus, you could check the flop, expect the raiser to often bet, and then see what the field does before you decide on your move.

In the case you described above, you are squeezed between the raiser and the field.

Fallen Hero
11-10-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are positioned immediately after the pre-flop raiser. Thus the raiser will likely bet the flop, and you will have to make a decision on whether to call or fold before the rest of the field (any one of whom could stick in a big raise).

If you had limped, then the guy to your immediate left had raised, then 4 players had called, then you might call with such a hand, as now you have position "relative to the raiser". Thus, you could check the flop, expect the raiser to often bet, and then see what the field does before you decide on your move.

In the case you described above, you are squeezed between the raiser and the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm in late position and the person to my right open raises I'm going to assume there isn't much of a "field" to consider.

punter11235
11-10-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to assume there isn't much of a "field" to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about it one more time.

Ryendal
11-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Thank you Gavagai and Fuzzbox, it's totally obvious after you said it