PDA

View Full Version : what's my play here?

RDWallace
11-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Villain in this hand has been very aggressive throughout the 3 orbits i've observed, raising 6x the blind with A4 etc. My question is whether this play is situationally optimal, given the relevant stack sizes.

MP2 (t3905)
CO (t5705)
Button (t3420)
SB (t14585)
Hero (t10057)
UTG (t6545)
UTG+1 (t4335)
MP1 (t8207)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t600.

Flop: (t1575) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t2000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t9232</font>

11-10-2005, 01:26 AM
I'd much rather repop him preflop with that to put him to a decision, with that flop if he hit an 8 or a 5, he is probably sticking around, with other pairs probably sticking around too since he has to call 7000 roughly into a pot of roughly 11,000. If he thinks he wins this about 60% of the time he is going to call, and alot of players love to defend their blinds, so that might make the edge closer to a call for him.

I don't mind the push, but I think you will get a call from any hand that has you beat right here.

ZootMurph
11-10-2005, 01:40 AM
Definitely agree with the preflop repop /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Maybe SB has a hand, but probably not enough of one to be able to play against a reraise. If he does have a big hand, he will let you know by reraising you, at which point you can decide to play or not. 75% of the time, he will let it go... which is enough to make a raise to 2k worthwhile.

JustPlayingSmart
11-10-2005, 06:15 AM
The other guys are saying reraise preflop. That is okay, as you long as you don't think he's going to push after your reraise. The stack sizes make it possible he will do that. You definitely want to be the one to put the last raise in here.

Villain overbets the pot on the flop. It's tough to say what that means, since you say he tends to make overraises preflop as well. Your raise is probably not going to fold out many better hands, and you probably won't get called by many worse hands, but you would save yourself the chance of being bluffed out of the pot with the best hand. Against villains like this, I tend to call the preflop raise and fold the flop. It may sound weak, but I would rather wait to go to war with a hand that I either felt strongly was ahead or a solid draw that had some equity if called. Those are the reasons I would probably fold this flop, but I definitely would not argue that you made a bad play here.