PDA

View Full Version : Parts list...how does this look?

Nomad84
11-09-2005, 10:35 PM
I've been trying to get myself to actually order parts for a new computer for a while, but I keep putting it off. I'm fed up with my ancient machine though, so I am ready to replace it. I would prefer to build it myself for various reasons, so I'm not looking for replies telling me to buy a Dell, etc. I'm just hoping someone will take the time to look this over and make sure it all makes sense together. It will be a general use computer with the main emphasis on poker. I won't be doing any gaming. I will be doing extensive datamining, probably using multiple XP user accounts when partymine supports it. I would like to be able to datamine extensively while I play, but that is not manditory. I don't plan to replace this computer for a long time, so I am going overboard on a few things. Here is what I have so far:

Antec Sonata II case with 450 W power supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811129155): $99.99

Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813131540): $163

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester dual core processor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103547): $400

Corsair ValueSelect 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 SDRAM (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145440): $78

Western Digital Caviar 320GB SATA150 hard drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144394): $120 (after $15 rebate)

NEC IDE DVD+/-RW dual layer burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827152047): $37.99

Linksys 802.11b PCI Wireless-B Adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16833124104): $39.99

Logitech X-230 2.1 speakers (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16836121123): $28.99

The total for that stuff is about $1025 shipped. I plan to use my current keyboard and mouse, at least for the time being. I think a Logitech laser mouse is in my future though. Maybe Christmas...

I'm still unsure about the video card though. I am looking for recommendations for a PCI-express video card, DVI+VGA (using CRTs right now), that will run 2 displays at 1600x1200. The cheaper the better, but if there will be a noticible difference in my application, I don't mind paying a little bit more for a better video card.

My other question deals with poker tracker and hard drives. I've already said that I will be datamining extensively. I will be running PT+PAHUD when I play (probably somewhere between 4-8 tables). I expect to have huge databases eventually, so would it be worth buying a 10k RPM drive to use for PT? The 74 GB Western Digital Raptor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160) is $143 after a $20 rebate.

How does it all look? Thanks for taking the time to look this over for me!

CrazyN8
11-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Why the wireless adapter? How far is the router/modem from the computer?

Nomad84
11-10-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the wireless adapter? How far is the router/modem from the computer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually still debating on that. It's only just across the room, but I don't like the fact that I have a cable running across the floor right now. My computer desk is not against a wall, so without wireless, there is no way to avoid stepping over the ethernet cable. Power can come from the other side, so it is more out of the way. I plan to network the computer with my Xbox and use Xbox Media Center to play audio and video from my computer through my TV and home audio setup, which is why the router is near the TV. This is also convenient since it is a cable modem, so that keeps most of the internet stuff near the TV and out of the way. I may skip the wireless for now and possibly add it later if the cable across the floor becomes a problem. I already have a Linksys wireless router that I bought cheap a few months ago.

For such a short distance (~15 ft) should I just get a cheaper wireless card? one of the <$20 ones?

MikeTexas
11-10-2005, 10:32 AM
If youre just going to be playing poker then you could probably save a couple hundred bucks and get a less exspensive cpu.

If I were you then I'd just purchase a less exspensive single core processor like a 3000 Venice or a 3700 San Diego, and see if that fills your needs. And if you later decide that you do need a dual core cpu then you can just swap one in. By that time AMD will have released their new A64 platform (1st qaurter '06)and the top of the line 939s will be a little bit cheaper.

Lady Dont Tekno
11-10-2005, 12:20 PM
If you're not going to be doing any gaming I think you could cut some dollars by getting a non-SLI mobo. As for a video card, if you're just using it for dual monitors just get a GeForce 6600 or something.

Nomad84
11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're not going to be doing any gaming I think you could cut some dollars by getting a non-SLI mobo. As for a video card, if you're just using it for dual monitors just get a GeForce 6600 or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a lot of recommendations for the A8N-SLI mobo. I don't really know what to look for in a mobo other than making sure it has the right slots and cpu socket on it. I liked the fact that I can easily run 2 pci-express video cards with this board in case I decide to add a third display later on. I know that I can use a PCI video card, but I figured this would be better. I'm looking at the A8N-E right now, but it seems like there are a lot of chipset fan related problems (judging by the Newegg review). If I am understanding this correctly, there is no chipset fan on the A8N-SLI Premium. Is it worth ~$54 for the dual PCI-e support, lack of chipset fan (also quieter), and other features of this motherboard? What else should I consider?

Will I notice a difference between the GeForce 6600 and cheaper cards? I saw 2 GeForce 6600 video cards without fans. I think I'd prefer not to have a fan on the video card just to cut down on noise and to have one less thing that could go wrong. The two that I saw were the AOpen (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814135183) and XFX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150114) cards. Both are around $100.

Thanks for your help.

Nomad84
11-10-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If youre just going to be playing poker then you could probably save a couple hundred bucks and get a less exspensive cpu.

If I were you then I'd just purchase a less exspensive single core processor like a 3000 Venice or a 3700 San Diego, and see if that fills your needs. And if you later decide that you do need a dual core cpu then you can just swap one in. By that time AMD will have released their new A64 platform (1st qaurter '06)and the top of the line 939s will be a little bit cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am strongly considering the 3800 x2 since it is about $80 cheaper. I actually don't remember why I had decided on the 4200 instead. (I initially made this wish list a few weeks ago.) I am pretty sure I'd prefer a dual core processor even though the 3500 Winchester that I had been considering is about $120 less than the 3800 x2. I expect to be running a lot of applications at any given time, and I don't expect to upgrade for a very long time, so I might as well go dual core. I considered going with a 3500 single core for a while, then upgrading later, but it will still end up costing more money to go that route unless I wait a very long time to upgrade, so I figured I'd just go dual core now. I don't know anything about the new platform you mentioned. Do you have any links so I can see what you are talking about? I really would like to place an order in the next week or two, though.

Nomad84
11-12-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am looking for recommendations for a PCI-express video card, DVI+VGA (using CRTs right now), that will run 2 displays at 1600x1200. The cheaper the better, but if there will be a noticible difference in my application, I don't mind paying a little bit more for a better video card.

My other question deals with poker tracker and hard drives. I've already said that I will be datamining extensively. I will be running PT+PAHUD when I play (probably somewhere between 4-8 tables). I expect to have huge databases eventually, so would it be worth buying a 10k RPM drive to use for PT? The 74 GB Western Digital Raptor (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144160) is $143 after a $20 rebate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bump for these two questions. I've had one video card recommendation, but I'm wondering if the cheaper ones will work or if I need to spend $100 here. No one has commented on the faster hard drive, but if I get it, I'd like to have it when I first start loading software rather than adding it later.

MikeTexas
11-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, I cant blame you for wanting to get the top of the line stuff. When it comes to computers, its extremely hard not to splurge on the latest technology. If I had the extra cash I would deinitely go with the dual processor even though I dont really need it.

The only reason I really suggested the cheaper cpu's is because right now the price is so high....and if you think that you can probably get by with a cheaper cpu for the moment you could save yourself some money and still upgrade down the road if you feel the need. Like I said, the CPUs for the 9393 platform are set to drop in the couple months when AMD releases the M2 socket. I have a socket 754 system and right now the top of the line 754 cpu is almost a 1/3 less then it was at the beginning of the year. It should come down even more with the release of the M2 platform and I should be able to pick up what used to be a $300+ cpu for under $200 in just a few months. But at this point Im not even sure I need to. The A64s are so quick, even the basic CPUs. I upgraded from a Pentium III and Im still amazed at how quick this thing is.

But its all up to you man. Go with what you want and whichever best suits your needs. With that 4200 you'll be set for a long time no doubt. Top of the line stuff.

Nomad84
11-12-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I cant blame you for wanting to get the top of the line stuff. When it comes to computers, its extremely hard not to splurge on the latest technology. If I had the extra cash I would deinitely go with the dual processor even though I dont really need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kinda my situation right now. I'm paying for it with winnings, and I expect to make even more once I have a better computer to work with and hopefully continue to move up in limits. It will also help me make money faster in other ways that I'd rather not get into right now. Basically, the quicker I buy, the more money I'll be able to make though.

[ QUOTE ]
...with the release of the M2 platform ... I should be able to pick up what used to be a $300+ cpu for under $200 in just a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of what came to mind when I considered buying a cheaper cpu now and planning to upgrade. If I bought the 3500+ now ($200) and upgraded later, I'd have to wait until the prices for the better cpus drops by over $200 or else I'm better off to just buy it now. That's the main reason I am planning to just go ahead and splurge on a dual core processor, although I'm still debating exactly which one I will get. It just doesn't seem cost effective to plan to buy a processor twice within any relatively short time frame.

Thanks again for the reply. Now I just need video card suggestions and comments about the 10k RPM hard drive for PT.

Nomad84
11-12-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pokertracker is io-bound, and the raptor isn't that expensive. if you're sweating pt performance at all i'd suggest buying one. don't expect a performance miracle compared to a modern drive in terms of typical use, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I will probably just go ahead and get a Raptor, based partly on this old post by Astroglide. It will be one less thing to worry about, and I'm not too concerned about the price. I suspect I should probably install Windows and many of my programs on this drive as well, but I'll do some more research on this.

So now it's just a question of video, I suppose.

astroglide
11-13-2005, 05:54 PM
i will generally tend to ignore 'what should i build?' cookbook posts for a variety of reasons but here are the basics on how i roll.

on cases i dislike noise. it's a pain in the ass to replace fans that eventually fail, and they usually have much more space than i actually want/need (which means they also take up more space in the room or desk or whatever). i've been using shuttle xpcs for a long time now and i don't expect that to change. my home computer is an sb81p. if i were to buy a case/psu separately i would probably default to a sonata with an overkill fortron/sparkle psu.

since i buy shuttles i also don't worry about motherboards, but asus would be at the top of my safe list as well. i would certainly entertain stuff like abit, msi, etc. almost every one of my personal systems i've built in the pre-shuttle era has been with an abit motherboard.

for ram i'll just get whatever i should get in the value segment with a reasonable brand name. kingston, corsair, pny, geil, whatever. people really overestimate how much ram they need. even with multitasking on top of 8-tabling i still don't hit the 1GB usage mark on my system, it's only running virtual machines (emulating multiple computers within my computer) when i get into trouble. 1GB is enough for almost everyone. the low latency/ultra stuff is a complete waste of money.

storage i use 74g raptors for performance-oriented stuff. i use one as my boot/main drive, and maxtor maxline iiis for storage. they're maxtor's 'enterprise-grade' sata offerings with higher build quality, longer mtbf, 5yr warranty, etc. the diamondmax 10 is its consumer analog, they've been in the higher ranks of 7200rpm drives for a while now. raid is basically a waste of money for most people, including me. it doesn't impact single user performance in a meaningful way, yes even when multitasking, and the failure suggestions/data risk should be obvious.

for dvd burners i just get the most recent nec model.

audio i'm happy with onboard. i use sony mdr-7506 studio headphones at work and klipsch 2.1 speakers at home. i hate surround wiring and i think it's lame for computers.

for video i tend to keep up on the best bang for the buck $200-ish type thing. it was the ati x800 gto2 that could be modded to an x850 very recently, but the prices have shot up since then. if ati and nvidia are near equal in price/performance i'll go toward nvidia, one of the cheaper but still biggger name brands like evga, msi, etc. NOT xfx for reliability reasons, documentation of this on their own forums.

monitors i still just pick up 2001fps when they're cheap. i use kensington expert trackballs (the ones with a ball the size of a pool ball) and happy hacker lite2 usb keyboards.

Nomad84
11-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks very much for the reply. I am pretty pleased with my Newegg wish list right now. For the most part, everything I have listed seems to jive well with your suggestions. I was not familiar with the Maxtor drives you mentioned, so I'm researching those. They look nice so far, and I will likely go with it instead of the Western Digital that I was considering. I have also decided to used a Raptor in hopes of quicker PT/PAHUD database operations. For video, I don't need a $200 video card. I appreciate your suggestions on video in my other thread.

Hopefully I can order this stuff early this week and start assembly next weekend /images/graemlins/cool.gif